Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre Square fountain

Options
  • 18-03-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen the water switched on at the fountain in Eyre Square for ages.

Is there a reason?

One of my mates figured that it was being used as a shower by the Occupy Galway people when they were camped beside it but that was just his beer talking. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too cold perhaps? Saving monies until the summer starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Now you mention it, I cant remember the last time I seen it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

It was definitely last year since I've last seen it on, yeah.

Reckon biko is right, though: too cold. Plus this has been a very dry year so far (I think), I imagine the reservoir's not looking too great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If they had it on recently then the whole area would be an ice rink every morning, probably another month before things start to warm up enough. I see the flags are up again in the square over the past couple of weeks as well, not sure what the reasoning is for taking them down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

For 90% of the year it's pissing water from the sky. Last thing I want to see is it coming out of the ground too.

For that 10% when the outside temperature is actually warmer than my fridge, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

One of my fondest memories when it was first installed, was cocky people showing off to their friends by running across the fountain whilst it was in between jets; and getting caught in the middle when the water turned back on, thus soaking them thoroughly.

Ahhh... Good times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Bit of a washing up liquid magnet IIRC...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

That's why the pool was done away with I'm guessing....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I haven't seen the fountain on, even though it would be nice in this weather. Now, I'm not around the square everyday, so perhaps I've missed it? Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Eeden wrote: »
    I haven't seen the fountain on, even though it would be nice in this weather. Now, I'm not around the square everyday, so perhaps I've missed it? Anybody know?

Given the fact that there's hosepipe bans throughout the county and water restrictions in the west of the city that would be kinda irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

biko wrote: »
    Too cold perhaps? Saving monies until the summer starts?
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Given the fact that there's hosepipe bans throughout the county and water restrictions in the west of the city that would be kinda irresponsible.

Bit of a goldilocks thing going on here. Next thing it'll be too mild to turn it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I haven't seen the water switched on at the fountain in Eyre Square for ages.

Is there a reason?

One of my mates figured that it was being used as a shower by the Occupy Galway people when they were camped beside it but that was just his beer talking. :D

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

It's a fountain. It reuses the same water again. It's not wasting water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

boardzz wrote: »
    I also thought this was the case - however have no proof. Presume that the pump is broken and city council don't have the money - nor the will to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I can see our mayor getting involved in fountaingate.

boardzz wrote: »

True or not it looks bad to have a fountain running in drought conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    True or not it looks bad to have a fountain running in drought conditions.

Noit doesn’t. If there were 50 fountains in the city - then would say you have apoint.

Noit doesn’t. If there were 50 fountains in the city - then would say you have apoint.

Ah so you're for the council ignoring its own directives then.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

B U M P

Seriosly, that fountain looks like an eyesore when the water is turned off.

Switch on the water or remove the damn thing completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

the rusting fountain is fine, Lynch's window and that ugly perspex hoarding as well as the human excrement on the footpath ramp on the other hand....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
Advertisement