Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a H1-B visa?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Myself and my girlfriend are hoping to move to the US in the autumn. I already have a job and visa arranged and we are now trying to work out what the options are for my girlfriend coming with me. She is a qualified accountant so we are hoping that she would be eligible for a H1-B visa, but we are not sure how to go about trying to get one. Do we need to first find a US company to employ her? Is it common for companies to support applicants who need a visa? Or are there any other visa options we should be considering? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes you need to find an employer to sponsor her. Best way to find a job would be to look on Monster or Indeed, the two biggest job websites in the USA, or directly on the websites of accountancy firms local to where you will be based. Unless she has special skills/ experience, she is unlikely to get a H1B as an accountant as there are plenty of unemployed people with accountancy skills in the USA, and such a visa costs the employer several thousands of dollars. Additionally, the H1B window opens in early April so if she doesn't have anything lined up, it's unlikely she'd get one this year.

Is she employed by one of the large multi-national firms by any chance? If so, she may ask for a transfer and get a work visa that way.
    How serious are you? Most visas allow a legally married spouse as a derivative, though some would mean she could not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

How did you get on with this if you don't mind me asking?

Advertisement