Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pinlock

• 18-03-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

well i have to say after 250miles in 24hrs of rain, sleet and sun with my first pinlock visor and i have to say it makes a huge difference, if anyone is thinking and can't decide wether to go for it or not, as nike say, just do it!!! i dont think i'll ever be without one again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yep! Best invention ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

serious3 wrote: »
    well i have to say after 250miles in 24hrs of rain, sleet and sun with my first pinlock visor and i have to say it makes a huge difference, if anyone is thinking and can't decide wether to go for it or not, as nike say, just do it!!! i dont think i'll ever be without one again!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Can you please explain the difference between the pinlock visor and a standard one for the uninitiated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Can you please explain the difference between the pinlock visor and a standard one for the uninitiated?

The Pinlock System
    Development of the Pinlock system was started in 1978 by Derek Arnold in the Netherlands and has been continuously evolved since then. The system includes a special moisture-absorbing plastic insert that looks something like a miniature tear-off.
    A silicone gasket is added around the edges of the Pinlock insert, which forms a virtually air-tight seal when it is installed against the inside of the motorcycle helmet visor. The special plastic and the double-wall system work to create a very good anti-fog barrier on any helmet visor.
    The Pinlock system is used on motorcycle helmets, motocross helmets, and on other types of visors and goggles. Several police forces and others use the Pinlock system to prevent fogging. The system also has several international patents in Europe, the U.S.A. and Japan.
    A dozen or so major motorcycle helmet manufacturers have been offering Pinlock equipped visors as an option in the European market. The system has been tested and approved to ECE 22.05; the Snell Memorial Foundation says they're OK; and several highly respected European motorcycle magazines have reviewed and recommended them. Also, several MotoGP riders use them for racing in wet conditions.

pinlock ... --> closed visor in rain, cold, or any weather no fog inside and great visibility.
    standard visor - impossible keep closed or clear during rain or so.

PINLOCK
    shoei_pinlock_visor_zps420f4a21.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pinlock and built in shades are vital imho.
    7ofBrian wrote: »

Simple terms: pinlock visor is double glazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Could easily live without the inbuilt shades they are mediocre as best IMHO. The pinlock is a must but a foggy mask is just as good, I have a pinlock on my Arai and just use the foggy on my HJC and both work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Hmm... may have to invest in one of them (if i can ever sell the car and pick up the blackbird)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I had a Pinlock on my Arai ViperGT, but it was scratched to bits. Don't have the money to replace it so just use a dab of washing up liquid every few days, no bother at all, and none of that crazy lights stuff at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Mr Sheen is also brilliant for the visors.....have not used it on the inside of a pinlock but everywhere else. Makes the water bead off aswell is very good for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And I wear an open face lid, no misting for moi :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

And I wear an open face lid, no misting for moi :p

you must like the taste of irish insects then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Sounds great. Can I get one of these for any lid? I have a caberg and fed up driving with practically zero visibility the past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There is a stick on one too. Forget its name even though I bought one as a gift.

Pinlock will fit most helmets.

My current pinlock has been used and abused so much that it doesn't hold an air tight seal. But it still works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Just wondering - in the pinlock description posted a few threads above, it says that there should be a silicone gasket around the insert. Mine doesn't have that and dust etc. gets in between the insert and the visor which then scratches the hell out of it... Anyone else have this or is mine a cheap insert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I have this fixed to my visor for a few months now - works brilliantly. It's photochromatic, so saves me wearing shades under it / swapping for dark visor etc (although it doesn't get as dark as a dark visor - I might get a dark visor in summer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

positron wrote: »
    I have this fixed to my visor for a few months now - works brilliantly. It's photochromatic, so saves me wearing shades under it / swapping for dark visor etc (although it doesn't get as dark as a dark visor - I might get a dark visor in summer).

how do you stick it on ?? glue ?

looks like they dont like us paddys in MCN
    We deliver to England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. We regret any orders received from other countries will be cancelled and, if applicable, refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Notch000 wrote: »
    how do you stick it on ?? glue ?

looks like they dont like us paddys in MCN

Yes, it has glue along the raised border, and it sticks your visor turning your visor into a dual panel window like setup.

Ah yeah, you are right they don't post here, but they deliver it for free to Parcel Motel in the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

so now i understand what pinlock is, what exactly is pinlock ready ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Notch000 wrote: »
    so now i understand what pinlock is, what exactly is pinlock ready ???
    Pinlock ready is where the visor has the two little plastic pins inside ready to hold the pinlock visor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Fao notch. I bought one of these
    inserts on foot of this thread from ebay. same price as on mcn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Sorry, but you can use anybog standard visor as long as the insert fits it or does the visor have to be specificly "Pin-Lock" ready...

I feel like an idiot asking these questions (especially considering the simplicity of the device), but somebody has too =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I think you can use any visor but you'll need to drill it to put the pegs into it.

Here's a kit that the Crossans sell, linky

Edit: Looking at the kit from Crossans, they only have it for certain helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Pinlock ready is where the visor has the two little plastic pins inside ready to hold the pinlock visor.

I was wondering what they were for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I got a pin lock last November. I don't know how I survived the previous winter without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'm looking to get one for an Arai. Anyone know where I could pick one up handy? From what I can see a lot of the main dealers don't stock Arai. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Pipz wrote: »
    I'm looking to get one for an Arai. Anyone know where I could pick one up handy? From what I can see a lot of the main dealers don't stock Arai. :/

Helmet City stock them, I don't know of anywhere local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ive had enough of my ****ty uvex anti fog visor fogging up on cold dark mornings. Uvex are out of the motorbike helmet market a while now but thats no surprise. How do I go about finding out if a universal pinlock kit will fit my visor? My helmet is the uvex uvision. I bought it on louis.de just over a year and a half ago. Great helmet apart from the visor:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just a small note that I have a GIVI helmet and when I scratched up the visor, I ordered a replacement from Lee Honda and it came 'Pinlock Ready' without having to specify.

Just a thought in case your visor is getting on that it may be worth looking into a pinlock ready replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Quick question.

I wear glasses and it's the glasses that cause me the greatest difficulty- pinlock or foggy mask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Dont wear glasses myself. Im looking for a pinlock after the good reviews. I do have a cheap foggy mask type thing that has helped alot but its not good enough really. I I can get a pinlock fitter visor I would. The problem is trying to find out if there is such a thing as a none uvex manufacture that makes visors to fit the uvex.

Advertisement