Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports spend 3 days with John Delaney

• 19-03-2013 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭

Clearly not satisfied with their monopoly on the domestic sports news market (as long as that sport is on Sky, mind you), Sky Sports News have now branched out into producing their own comedy shows beyond that of Gerry Francis trying to put a sentence together, and Iain Dowie's eyebrows.

They have spent 3 days with John Delaney and will have a special report tomorrow morning on their show from 6am - emphasis on the word special. This should be golden.

So, what will get more mentions, the LOI or Delaney's "man of the people" relationship with Irish national team fans? Personally, I can't wait to see him capitalise on this golden opportunity to promote Irish club football.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Holy christ!

I hope he sorted he's hair out first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Apparently he was in Turners Cross for Cork City vs Bohs on Friday night.

If they were tailing him then I wonder if they will show some of the unsavory incidents that MNS didn't show tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its going to be Spinal Tap-esque

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Must be the TV equivalent of sending the new guy for a left handed screwdriver or a long stand. We have this special assignment for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oh so that's why Delaney was at a LOI match. There were cameras on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Just caught the end of part 1 ... he's still crapping on about his wages, how he was offered a salary 3 x times his FAI salary to work elsewhere etc etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He says he cares about grassroots football! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

John Delaney is a lovely bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

He runs the league, he runs it well, John we think you're really swell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

€340,000 P.A. ... and he's driving a Mondeo ? (no offence to Mondeo drivers - decent car etc) ... can only assume it's a freebie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why would anyone want to be spend three days with that twatasaurus is beyond me, unless Sky Sports are branching out and producing some comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

RayCon wrote: »
    Just caught the end of part 1 ... he's still crapping on about his wages, how he was offered a salary 3 x times his FAI salary to work elsewhere etc etc :rolleyes:

Pity he didn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"John Delaney Park" is gonna be Clones Town's new ground name.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That_Guy wrote: »

Clones Town for a first division license next year so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Did he show them his collection of ties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Did he bring them to Coppers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Did you see the behind the scenes ? The above is the first part. The second part is being aired 6am on the 20th.

Points to note were :

1. As a young boy he wanted to be an Irish international but his technique was poor, his coach says he’d “rather have gone through you than around you.”

2. He has turned down many big interviews with Irish radio and TV shows because when he speaks he “wants there to be a purpose to it.”

3. Delaney rejected a job which would have seen him earning three times his current salary of €340,000 at the FAI.

4. Apparently, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of Irish football.

5. A united Irish team is something he would love to see.

6. Clones Town’s new ground will be named John Delaney Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Some call him the Godfather"

Who???

• Advertisement

Who???

I actually forgot that!!:eek::eek:

I mean seriously cringe stuff here.

I guess there is a reason why this is on at 6am in morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2. He has turned down many big interviews with Irish radio and TV shows because when he speaks he “wants there to be a purpose to it.”
    i guess its time for him to step down from the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

My word that is embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Is that Clones in Monaghan? The county which lost a top division football team, because it was too expensive to run while Delaney, his ludicrous wages and 20,000 Irish football "fans" were in Poland.

The mind literally boggles!

I watched the second part this morning and it showed the new underage development pitches being built, mentioned trapattoni and his job (he goes if he loses two games stays if he gets any half decent result). He has no plans to quit.

To be honest I would expect more for Irish clubs and not the national team.

Who???

How dare you disparage the godfather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It must be a reference to some alternative ending where Fredo takes over the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Let's face it, he's basically trolling us all at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Is part 2 up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Who???

Probably just his godson.

🤪

BOHtox wrote: »
    Is part 2 up yet?

I have it on my Sky box but don't know how to upload it. Is there a part 3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I wasn't fond of delaney prior to this but now I can add he's a horrible liar to that too.

Cares about grassroots my arse delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

srfc19 wrote: »
    Is that Clones in Monaghan? The county which lost a top division football team, because it was too expensive to run while Delaney, his ludicrous wages and 20,000 Irish football "fans" were in Poland.

The mind literally boggles!
    Monaghan United going bust was hardly the fault of John Delaney. For one home match against Bray, they had an attendance of 150!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Monaghan United going bust was hardly the fault of John Delaney. For one home match against Bray, they had an attendance of 150!

The failure of the FAI to do anything to promote their own league is a major factor in all club's woes.

He is the head of the FAI who have nothing but contempt for the league.

Football sells in almost every other country in the world. The fact that the league here has very little interest outside of the hardcore fans is an indictment on those who are paid to run the game in this country

The man who earns more the his Spanish counterpart.

When are people going to wake up.

• Advertisement

It is indicitive of the moral compass of football fans in this country when there are still people willing to deflect blame from Dear Leader.

Francie Barrett, Big John loves the likes of you. Lapping up his tie-throwing, beer-buying antics, and absolving him of blame for any failings of the national league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I liked his ambitions to see an All Ireland team someday. It will probably never happen but the reason for that shouldn't be... Being held to ransom by bigots both sides of the border.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I liked his ambitions to see an All Ireland team someday. It will probably never happen but the reason for that shouldn't be... Being held to ransom by bigots both sides of the border.

I would not mind it either, but it would be only country in the world to segregate its own fans then.

Like say bigots won't make it happen.

He does in his shíte want to see a United Football Association, he's not being truthful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Seeing as the FAI are the breakaway assocition, a united Ireland team would see power return to Belfast and Delaney losing his job and all that money he loves so much. He's just giving soundbites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement