Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crawling and Tiling

Options
  • 19-03-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, our little fella is about to start crawling but our downstairs floor is 75% tiled. The rooms that aren't are bedrooms and one room with a wooden floor.

I am guessing the tiles could be too hard on him and possibly dangerous when he starts trying to walk and inevitably fall.

Any thoughts, ideas or experience of this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We got a rug.

Something like this:
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20101871/

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Our place is 100% tiled and our little one is now walking. There weren't many issues when she started crawling other than the floor being a bit cold, and then as soon as she started walking I got her socks with grips on the soles so she was less likely to slip and fall. And now she always has slippers or her shoes on.
    We're lucky in the fact that she has good balance and doesn't fall over much. There were a few head bangs along the way, but nothing too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Ok, thanks very much for the replies. I'm not sure we could rug the whole downstairs but will look into those socks. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

They do "learn to fall" very quickly. As soon as he starts pulling up, get him to practice as often as possible in a place you consider safer, our little one practiced on sofa and coffee table where there's a rug and after just a day or two, with nearly all falls he was able to absorb the shock with his arms, or roll his fall and there has been very few head banging, and after just a few falls you could see him trying different ways of getting down... they're amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

As said previously, they do learn to fall carefully very quickly. We have a similar situation with almost the entire ground floor tiled straight down onto the concrete slab. The only semi-serious falls have been when he's fallen off things while climbing; falls from crawling and walking alone he's learned to manage as he went along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Ok that makes sense, cheers.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I bough clarks pre walkers - they are rubber soled - rather like slippers. He actually kept them on his feet and I found the grippy socks to not have enough grips up by the toes and as my fella started early he was able to get steadier with them on and had plenty of support too.

Advertisement