Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2013

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Blut2

Sooo according to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoCJ5yxV-4 (just posted by the Ents facebook) "Chuckie" is the headliner..... Not a good sign when you have to google who the headliner is to find out who they are I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Wow... Never thought the headliner would be that bad..

Surely passenger and this club are more worthy as headliners at thus stage

"Mollie O' Connor am i the only one whos never heard of 'chuckie'?
    Unlike · Reply · 45 · 14 minutes ago via mobile"

The current most "liked" (45 likes) comment on the Ents announcement on facebook. Wonder how long that'll last before being deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

RoundBox11 wrote: »

I'd hold the horses there. Chuckie is massive in Europe and the States. He's collab'd with a huge variety of artists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuckie_(DJ)) He'd be on the same scale as Laidback Luke and Afrojack (in my opinion) and has been around a very long time (Longer than the likes of Hardwell, Avicii and Porter Robinson) He's played Tomorrowland, EDC and Miami Music Week to name but a few. He'd be like Clinton Sparks (Who no one has ever heard of but is responsible for numerous grammy award winning artists and in himself is an amazing artist) in that he's just not well known outside those who would listen to a lot of electronica / proper EDM.

I'm assuming they are refering to the DJ though! :pac:

https://soundcloud.com/djchuckie

http://soundcloud.com/clintonsparks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

RoundBox11 wrote: »

Surely passenger and this club are more worthy as headliners at thus stage

what i want to know is were aqua even approached about head lining?

theyd blow this joker off stage

really disappointed with this nobody head lining

• Advertisement

what i want to know is were aqua even approached about head lining?

theyd blow this joker off stage

Not sure if your serious :confused:

Your comparing a 90's washed up, one hit wonder to someone who's probably played 1000's of times in front of millions of people. He's good. The only difference is, like all Irish song fads, you haven't heard of him as the main stream DJ. He's done far more producing that self producing.

Take Avicii as an example. No one had ever heard of the chap in Ireland. I have a fb message which I sent to a few friends about upcoming tracks and it contained 'Levels' When? August 2010. Has anyone ever listened to his older tracks? I doubt it. He rocketed once it got radio play and some really clever management.

These artists are huge in their own right. Tomorrowland, EDC and Miami Music Week laugh in the face of a 5000 student ball. Attendance combined is probably clear of 200k people. And the videos speak for themselves. The lad is huge in his own right.

Its like word association with monkeys on the Ents page at the moment 'I've never heard of him. Therefore its a crap line up' Just like Oxegen is a crap line up because the Zoo Crew Hot 30 hasn't played any of it. The likes of Alesso, Dmitri Vegas and Like Mike. I'm sure that's meaningless to some people but they are worth every penny to go see.

That "am i the only one whos never heard of 'chuckie'?" facebook comment hit around 100 likes and now has been deleted, quelle surprise.

Chuckie is nowhere near Laidback Luke, Alesso, Dimitri Vegas or Afrojack - a quick browse of his youtube videos will show they pale in comparison in number of hits to the others. Using the attendances at massive festivals like Tomorrowland or EDC to justify his popularity is nonsense, you could pluck any dj from their lineups (no matter their popularity) and do the same. Its impossible to ascertain whos at a festival to see one individual act. Look at the level of venue Chuckie plays by himself and you'll get a more accurate picture of his popularity (not high).

You can argue hes good, that he doesnt need mainstream appeal to be talented etc all you like but thats of no matter when it comes to a headliner for the ball. Hes not headliner caliber and I think most people will agree with that. He'd be absolutely fine as a filler act, hes a massive disappointment as a headliner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Entsballer1

ironclaw wrote: »
    Not sure if your serious :confused:

Your comparing a 90's washed up, one hit wonder to someone who's probably played 1000's of times in front of millions of people. He's good. The only difference is, like all Irish song fads, you haven't heard of him as the main stream DJ. He's done far more producing that self producing.

Take Avicii as an example. No one had ever heard of the chap in Ireland. I have a fb message which I sent to a few friends about upcoming tracks and it contained 'Levels' When? August 2010. Has anyone ever listened to his older tracks? I doubt it. He rocketed once it got radio play and some really clever management.

These artists are huge in their own right. Tomorrowland, EDC and Miami Music Week laugh in the face of a 5000 student ball. Attendance combined is probably clear of 200k people. And the videos speak for themselves. The lad is huge in his own right.

Its like word association with monkeys on the Ents page at the moment 'I've never heard of him. Therefore its a crap line up' Just like Oxegen is a crap line up because the Zoo Crew Hot 30 hasn't played any of it. The likes of Alesso, Dmitri Vegas and Like Mike. I'm sure that's meaningless to some people but they are worth every penny to go see.

Fair enough points I suppose, and you seem to know your dance/house music well. but you're forgetting the most important aspect. And this is something that has to be attended to regardless of the Ents officers personal taste...

Chuckie is not a mainstream act, and the majority of the student body listen to main stream music (fortunately or unfortunately)

The headliner should be a main stream , poplular, widely known act that appeals to the greater population of UCD.

Don't get me wrong, I like Chuckie personally and the ents lads must have worked extremely hard to get him at short notice, so kudos in that respect but the bottom line is the majority of the students in UCD wont have a clue who he is, which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

the majority of the student body listen to main stream music (unfortunately)

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Having been a poster on here for a long time, I am going to vouch for Ironclaw as someone who doesn't blindly defend the union all that often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Entsballer1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Having been a poster on here for a long time, I am going to vouch for Ironclaw as someone who doesn't blindly defend the union all that often!

Well in THAT case

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

I've never heard of chuckie but ive been listening to his tomorrowland set and other videos since he was announced and honestly think he sounds better than some of the other rumoured headliners! that said the first thing that came to my head when i heard it was something like this!! :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zch-CGnH9c

Yeah I've been fortunate enough to have seen numerous acts around the world. And really enjoy the scene and the music. Been DJing since 15. So to be Chuckie is a name I'd know. Surprised he hasn't got more exposure here.
    Chuckie is not a mainstream act, and the majority of the student body listen to main stream music. The headliner should be a main stream , popular, widely known act that appeals to the greater population of UCD.

Totally agree. Not a good choice from that perspective. But then again, he could blow the crowd away. I'd be interested to see the reaction actually. Sadly I can't make it myself but I'd love to know how to plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Chuckie plays typical loud electro rubbish, the most mainstream form of dance music there is these days (besides the likes of that pop tripe Guetta et al are churning out). Tomorrowland is one of the most mainstream dance festivals on the planet. It's not as if Ents just went and booked one of the residents at Berghain or one of the Life festival headliners as their headliner for the ball. As dance music goes, Chuckie is about as mainstream as it gets. So while he may not be mainstream in the sense of radio play etc, I'm sure come that stage of the night most of the crowd will be happy enough to bounce around to whatever it is he's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

What were people's thoughts on the ball I had work so I couldn't go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I thought it was well worth it. Went with a bunch of friends, danced, had a good time. Chuckie really had the place jumping, couldn't ask for more really.

Advertisement