Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Shouldn't have been a ref in the first.
    It was voted by over 70% of the students in 2012, that there would be no Ents Officer after 2012/2013, and instead a professionalised Ents manager (non student) would be instated, yet without it being even tested, ANOTHER ref was brought to 'bring Ents back'.

I'm all for Ents, but lets try what the students voted in, (student politicians represent the students right? - a concept lost on the few running the 'Yes' campaign in the recent Ents ref)

By all means come back and run a constitutional ref next year after at least respecting the students that voted Ents out and giving it a try.

To be fair, the new constitution was about a lot more than just getting rid of the ents officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

The constitution was voted positively by so many people as it was needed to reform the unions financial structure so the union could get a loan to fix the mess made by past officers (including ents) but most people I know still don't know that there will not be an ents officer next year so to say that 70% of people voted to get rid of it is a joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 baallbag

We can give out about constitution and everything else but this forum is about the ucd ball. Does anyone know if its even definitely happening? Its a bit of a joke the the Students union pages and Ents page on facebook wont even reply to students asking if there is a ball or not.

Just say yes or no if its happening thats all people want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

baallbag wrote: »
    We can give out about constitution and everything else but this forum is about the ucd ball. Does anyone know if its even definitely happening? Its a bit of a joke the the Students union pages and Ents page on facebook wont even reply to students asking if there is a ball or not.

Just say yes or no if its happening thats all people want to know.

I think its reasonable to assume it isn't. There is 13 days of term left unless they hold it the day after the last exam (unlikely) So I think its extremely safe to say it isn't happening.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think its reasonable to assume it isn't. There is 13 days of term left unless they hold it the day after the last exam (unlikely) So I think its extremely safe to say it isn't happening.

Its still on the ucd ents website set down for the 26th of April so if its not happening they should have made an announcement, It would be very unprofessional for the ents officer to say nothing and just leave it as a guessing game. I'd say there still waiting for the license and there afraid to say anything while they wait. But even still they should make some sort of announcement wether it is to say that there still planning or if its just not on.

Would be a big disappointment if it didn't happen, a lot of people i know didn't buy trinity ball tickets because they were waiting for the ucd ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Entsballer1

kilrush wrote: »
    The constitution was voted positively by so many people as it was needed to reform the unions financial structure so the union could get a loan to fix the mess made by past officers (including ents) but most people I know still don't know that there will not be an ents officer next year so to say that 70% of people voted to get rid of it is a joke !

Regardless, they knew what they were voting for this year and the Ents officer position still wasn't brought back.
    AND there wasn't even a 'NO' campaign. Says it all really.

No joke.

Commenting on the Ents facebook page has been disabled.....

Regardless, they knew what they were voting for this year and the Ents officer position still wasn't brought back.
    AND there wasn't even a 'NO' campaign. Says it all really.

No joke.

The proposition to bring back the ents officer failed because quorum wasn't reached (missed out by 11 votes), the actual vote was overwhelmingly in favour of it.

bbuzz wrote: »
    The proposition to bring back the ents officer failed because quorum wasn't reached (missed out by 11 votes), the actual vote was overwhelmingly in favour of it.

Bit of a moot point there.

Not surprisingly, not one single former sabbat or sitting sabbat for that matter publicly backed the 'yes' campaign'.
    There'll always be an argument like that to justify whichever side you're on, but the point is, it lost - twice, so just respect that and see what happens.

It's gone. Give the new format a go, and then have a ref. (I'm all for an Ents officer, its very close to my heart, but respecting the results of a vote is more important as a student representative)

SO yes..the ball. It's not too late to announce one..Only need a licence for an event over 4999 people. So if there's a suitable venue either on or off campus (which no doubt are still being considered, given that there's been no announcement either way) then there's still hope.

I'd say there'll be an announcement in the next few day, for a reduced capacity ball (last year was over 5000), AFTER term ends because I'm sure students / staff would have been informed by now of a full or partial closure of campus during term time. The track is certainly off limits. That leaves thornfield rugby pithes, maybe one of the fields by NOVA, or the student centre car aprk like 2007/2008.

My predictions: either no ball. OR a 2000/3000 person event in the student centre car park or OFF CAMPUS on perhaps the Saturday (27th) which will suck for booking acts at short notice cause Coachella is on I believe?

Bit of a moot point there.

Not surprisingly, not one single former sabbat or sitting sabbat for that matter publicly backed the 'yes' campaign'.
    There'll always be an argument like that to justify whichever side you're on, but the point is, it lost - twice, so just respect that and see what happens.

It's gone. Give the new format a go, and then have a ref. (I'm all for an Ents officer, its very close to my heart, but respecting the results of a vote is more important as a student representative)

SO yes..the ball. It's not too late to announce one..Only need a licence for an event over 4999 people. So if there's a suitable venue either on or off campus (which no doubt are still being considered, given that there's been no announcement either way) then there's still hope.

I'd say there'll be an announcement in the next few day, for a reduced capacity ball (last year was over 5000), AFTER term ends because I'm sure students / staff would have been informed by now of a full or partial closure of campus during term time. The track is certainly off limits. That leaves thornfield rugby pithes, maybe one of the fields by NOVA, or the student centre car aprk like 2007/2008.

My predictions: either no ball. OR a 2000/3000 person event in the student centre car park or OFF CAMPUS on perhaps the Saturday (27th) which will suck for booking acts at short notice cause Coachella is on I believe?

Coachella is on this weekend and next weekend so they can't use that as an excuse even still I doubt ucd ents would be looking at acts that would be at coachella.

Pretty unprofessional that there has been no announcement on whats happening and to be honest I dont think its going to happen now. Pretty disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

its not happening from what i've been told.

UCD Ball is on the items for discussion at student union council this thursday at 6.15 in "the bin" lecture theatre all are welcome but I'll update this thread after it anyway. we should get some definitive information then but then again we mightn't.

As regards the referendum I'm obviously disappointed that the result shown didnt count but on the plus side at least the likes of darcy wont be able to get in again..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

UCD Ball is on the items for discussion at student union council this thursday at 6.15 in "the bin" lecture theatre all are welcome but I'll update this thread after it anyway. we should get some definitive information then but then again we mightn't.

As regards the referendum I'm obviously disappointed that the result shown didnt count but on the plus side at least the likes of darcy wont be able to get in again..

Bit late to be putting it up for discussion this far on in the year. Should have been up for discussion at every council from September.

As for "the likes of Darcy" I would love to know what you mean by that seeing as he had very successful year unlike the year Heffo is having at the moment.

Sorry I wasn't particularly commenting on the successfulness of darcy's year although a cancelled mystery tour is hardly "very successful" it was more to do with using it as a stepping stone to coppers

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

It was very successful in that he ran a UCD ball which was as far as I'm aware was the biggest in terms of production in the last few year and had a lot of pretty popular acts in, LMFAO, Lil Jon etc.

This year, from my point of view, Ents has been an embarrassment. Even without a bar there was a lot more which could have been done. It's just a shame, especially for first years who came in this year and must think that this is all college is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Even if the ball does go ahead, at this stage its pretty short notice. People may already be making holiday plans, ect.

Wouldn't leave much time for promotion/ticket sales.

With the state of the finances the SU can't afford to make a loss on the ball so I wouldn't be optimistic.

The first years have been really let down this year.

I've seen those "UCD Ambassadors" giving tours of the campus to school groups, and they still stop at the bar and list off loads of acts that have played it, completely omitting that it has been open once in the past year.

Sorry I wasn't particularly commenting on the successfulness of darcy's year although a cancelled mystery tour is hardly "very successful" it was more to do with using it as a stepping stone to coppers

'The likes of D'arcy'? Bit of a personal issue there I suspect mate
    because he had a pretty phonemonal year by all accounts.
    Sure the mystery tour was cancelled but that's hardly a deal breaker in a year with Lmfao, lil Japanese Popstars, Fakeblood, Sawdoctors etc. Not everything can work out I guess but would Id imagine the two attempts at launching the mystery tours were down to poor ticket sales? It was meant to be on the 17th Oct originally so the freshers guide says, which fell among a few ticketed events like LMFAO / Fakeblood / Charlie Simpson - and all not so long after freshers week & first month of college. There Was a lot of events on remember and not everyone can afford a €20 mystery tour.
    I'm sure you knew that though, coming armed with the facts and all.

Hardly call the year a disaster because of it -Unless you're and avid Mystery tour fan and had built your college year around it :)?
    (mystery tour this year only had 200ish people on it btw)

Anyway as well as that there was a serioulsy decent UCD Ball at the end of it?

A stepping stone to Coppers? So you're giving grief about the chap getting a job? I don't see how that affected the Ents year.
    A bit of begrudging going on there I feel.

So not exactly sure what your point is.

Back to the Ball '13 then yea?

'The likes of D'arcy'? Bit of a personal issue there I suspect mate
    because he had a pretty phonemonal year by all accounts.
    Sure the mystery tour was cancelled but that's hardly a deal breaker in a year with Lmfao, lil Japanese Popstars, Fakeblood, Sawdoctors etc. Not everything can work out I guess but would Id imagine the two attempts at launching the mystery tours were down to poor ticket sales? It was meant to be on the 17th Oct originally so the freshers guide says, which fell among a few ticketed events like LMFAO / Fakeblood / Charlie Simpson - and all not so long after freshers week & first month of college. There Was a lot of events on remember and not everyone can afford a €20 mystery tour.
    I'm sure you knew that though, coming armed with the facts and all.

Hardly call the year a disaster because of it -Unless you're and avid Mystery tour fan and had built your college year around it :)?
    (mystery tour this year only had 200ish people on it btw)

Anyway as well as that there was a serioulsy decent UCD Ball at the end of it?

A stepping stone to Coppers? So you're giving grief about the chap getting a job? I don't see how that affected the Ents year.
    A bit of begrudging going on there I feel.

So not exactly sure what your point is.

Back to the Ball '13 then yea?

Sorry was maybe a little bitter about not getting into coppers recently which of course is not darcys fault but he is just my image for the place! I thoroughly enjoyed last years ball and i hope there is something this year as it was a great way to round off the year! I don't have all the facts as I'm not and never was on Ents exec so I suppose i should therefore shut up! Sorry Darcy!

Entsballer1 or as your real name goes by - <ModSnip> - Just give us some news is the ball on or not? come on just for us lads here on boards. Give us some good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

First years have DEFINITELY been let down this year. There have been so little events happening that it forced a few likeminded people in arts to make a facebook group to organise events for 1st year Arts. This group now has over 300 members, it was started in the second semester because there was so many people still going to college every day with no one to talk to, and frankly that's awful.
    Speaking as a first year, I have been so let down by UCD that I'm questioning whether I even made the right choice with coming here. I know college isn't all about getting pissed in the student bar, but a lot of the experience IS about making friends. And how is one supposed to do that when there are no non-academic events to mingle at unless your in a small enough society that everyone will get to know each other.
    On that note, Arts soc? Absolutely useless. They should be ashamed of themselves that first years have had to take it upon themselves to meet up outside of the lecture halls because there are so many people wandering around on their own for lack of people to talk to.

I know this if from an Arts point of view, so maybe other first years haven't had the same experience, this is just my two cents.

Also I know this post is a little OT, but the lack of UCD Ball (or information regarding it!) was the final straw for me.

• Advertisement

To be honest, most of my friends I met in class, tutorials and in non-Ents based events. Each to their own but I never saw Ents or booze events as an avenue to make friends.

However in my three / four years in UCD, I did notice a decline in events and the people going to them. I never thought the events I was at were 'as full' and many events were cancelled due to ticket sales e.g. Mord Fustang. I half blame this on most students who would murder your family for a 5c can of Lidl Cider. Student stingy-ness has hit a record low in my eyes.

ironclaw wrote: »
    To be honest, most of my friends I met in class, tutorials and in non-Ents based events. Each to their own but I never saw Ents or booze events as an avenue to make friends.

However in my three / four years in UCD, I did notice a decline in events and the people going to them. I never thought the events I was at were 'as full' and many events were cancelled due to ticket sales e.g. Mord Fustang. I half blame this on most students who would murder your family for a 5c can of Lidl Cider. Student stingy-ness has hit a record low in my eyes.

Well 300+ people find that hard to do. It's difficult to make friends in a lecture hall of 200-300 where everyone's supposed to be quiet and you're sitting with a
    different person everyday cos that nice person you spoke to last wednesday is nowhere to be seen until halfway through the lecture you see them sitting at the other end of the hall, or sometimes, never again!
    That being said, I'm genuinely glad you were able to do it, just it's not the same for everyone.

I'm not solely blaming Ents, our class reps are an absolute joke. I'm in 3 different schools, Classics Dept.'s rep transferred to Trinity after the elections, Sociology never elected one and Psychology (which I can't even do next year) is the only one I've seen organise events, and they're pretty frequent too!

Also FYI, this group doesn't just "booze", they post on the page if a group of them are around eating lunch somewhere, mini-golf trip is in the works and we're going go-karting next week.

That may be to do with the recession, no? Not everyone can afford a croissant and coffee from the Arts cafe everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭spillit67

Ah I'm not the only one who had to unlike the UCD Ball 2012 page on FB because someone was using it to promote certain Tuesday night events which have nothing to do with UCD Ball.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well 300+ people find that hard to do. It's difficult to make friends in a lecture hall of 200-300 where everyone's supposed to be quiet and you're sitting with a
    different person everyday cos that nice person you spoke to last wednesday is nowhere to be seen until halfway through the lecture you see them sitting at the other end of the hall, or sometimes, never again!

So why not hang out with them after that lecture, swap numbers/facebooks/twitternets and then meet them before the next one so you can sit together and have the chats. Worked for me in first year science, which isn't as big as some Arts courses, but my lecture sizes were still substantial.

All my good mates in college were either people I started chatting to in a lecture and then continued to hang out with outside of/between lectures, or, more commonly, people I met through student societies, which really are the best way to make friends in college, imo. You mentioned Artsoc, which like most big socs just organises club nights and such (there's an argument they've contributed to Ents going downhill, but that's for another thread) but have you lucked at clubs or small societies? ISS, Gamesoc and ScifiSoc (these are the socs I'm currently a member of) all run multiple events a week, almost entirely on campus and some during the day. That's in addition to having places they hang out that people can drop in for a chat. Great environment to build a social circle.

To be blunt, and speaking from 7 years experience as a UCD student, what you have been let down by isn't Ents, it's your own expectations. Plenty of people have been managing to have a good college experience for years while completely ignoring Ents, so you really can't pin the blame on them.

Raphael wrote: »
    So why not hang out with them after that lecture, swap numbers/facebooks/twitternets and then meet them before the next one so you can sit together and have the chats. Worked for me in first year science, which isn't as big as some Arts courses, but my lecture sizes were still substantial.
    You make that sound so easy. Glad it is for you. I didn't meet a single person in lectures during those first few weeks that I clicked with.
    You mentioned Artsoc, which like most bigsocs just organsies club nights and such
    Except it doesn't. It had maybe, 2 events in the first semester, that's it.
    ScifiSoc (these are the socs I'm currently a member of)
    Tried SciFi, not for me. Also if you reread my post I did address that most events that do happen are organised by small societies which are small enough to get to know people. Sci-Fi is a prime example.
    To be blunt, and speaking from 7 years experience as a UCD student, what you have been let down by isn't Ents, it's your own expectations. Plenty of people have been managing to have a good college experience for years while completely ignoring Ents, so you really can't pin the blame on them.
    If you reread my post again, I said I wasn't pinning it solely on Ents. Yes, why shouldn't I have expectations when everyone told me "Oh, UCD is great, you should definitely go there, it's so much fun".
    And you are still discounting the fact that 300 other people are just as angry as me with the lack of events for those without specialised interests that the societies cater for.

I'm not laying the blame on any one doorstep. It's as much my fault for not joining every society under the sun and being shy as ArtsSoc, Ents, etc. for not facilitating Arts students getting to know each other through extra-curricular events. However, I know for a fact I am not the only one that feels this way. Maybe you just can't understand cos you're coming from a different world with science.

But hey, at least the lack of events has gotten me good grades.

What's really been the problem this year is the lack of bar on campus, but that looks set to change in May. The bar is where I made most of my friends in 1st and 2nd year, it was always the place we went after society events and for class parties.

@SparkySpitfire, how long as you in UCD?

10er says the Ball wont be on ents will have some other event thats ****e then and will complain about low ticket sales, and cancel it. Don't know what that chap in ents is paid for other than organising a ****e night in Kielys on a tuesday. If theres one thing ucd did right this year its getting rid of ents. To be honest i think the ucd president should have a bigger input in ents as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

SparkySpitfire you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You are making stupid comments all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

baallbag wrote: »
    Entsballer1 or as your real name goes by - <ModSnip> - Just give us some news is the ball on or not? come on just for us lads here on boards. Give us some good news

Heffo doesn't care much for the new constitution, this person in their first post defended it pretty fiercely.

So I'd be inclined to say it's actually <ModSnip>.

Advertisement