Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

unknown13 wrote: »
    SparkySpitfire you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You are making stupid comments all over the place.

Oh sorry, please tell me about my own college experience. You clearly know better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

ironclaw wrote: »
    @SparkySpitfire, how long as you in UCD?

Just since September!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Oh sorry, please tell me about my own college experience. You clearly know better. :)

Since you have said it here. Why would I waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Entsballer1

spillit67 wrote: »
    Ah I'm not the only one who had to unlike the UCD Ball 2012 page on FB because someone was using it to promote certain Tuesday night events which have nothing to do with UCD Ball.:rolleyes:

Heavens above. A facebook page that was redundant was used for something else? Have you told the village elders?

It was a great ball mate, we'll leave it at that :)

To be honest, most of my friends I met in class, tutorials and in non-Ents based events. Each to their own but I never saw Ents or booze events as an avenue to make friends.

However in my three / four years in UCD, I did notice a decline in events and the people going to them. I never thought the events I was at were 'as full' and many events were cancelled due to ticket sales e.g. Mord Fustang. I half blame this on most students who would murder your family for a 5c can of Lidl Cider. Student stingy-ness has hit a record low in my eyes.

Just an FYI, Mord Fustang was cancelled cause he missed his connecting flight. I know this because I was meant to be greeting him at the airport that night as I was helping out.

Ticket sales were healthy enough for that as well

But, yes, you're correct in your other points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

The SU Facebook has disabled the wall so no one can post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just an FYI, Mord Fustang was cancelled cause he missed his connecting flight. I know this because I was meant to be greeting him at the airport that night as I was helping out.

Ticket sales were healthy enough for that as well

But, yes, you're correct in your other points

I was personally involved in Mord Fustang. I was told around 8pm that he wasn't coming by both PK and D'Arcy. There was no public announcement made (in a timely fashion) before the show. By 10pm, the bar probably had about 120 people in it. No queue, no one arriving. And no one knew at that time that it had been cancelled. Ticket sales were non-existent in my opinion.

However, that was not Ent's fault nor do I levy any blame on them. I place the blame on the student body. And either way, it has nothing to do with the Ball! :)

I was personally involved in Mord Fustang. I was told around 8pm that he wasn't coming by both PK and D'Arcy. There was no public announcement made (in a timely fashion) before the show. By 10pm, the bar probably had about 120 people in it. No queue, no one arriving. And no one knew at that time that it had been cancelled. Ticket sales were non-existent in my opinion.

However, that was not Ent's fault nor do I levy any blame on them. I place the blame on the student body. And either way, it has nothing to do with the Ball! :)

There was just over 450 tickets sold for Mord Fustang. And the reason I know that is because I was had to count them and get them ready for a refund. The lack of public announcement was because of the lateness of actually finding out themselves, and in hindsight was probably the better move PR wise. They put signs up on the door and had us tell everyone coming in that Mord cancelled. If they made a public announcement post-8pm then a load of keyboard warriors that weren't even gonna go to the gig that were sitting in their bedrooms would have probably kicked up stink online - The usual. And in fairness, full refunds were offered, An alternative act were organised in such a short timeframe, and D'arcy and PK were very upset. But yea, a good night was had in the end as far as I remember, but you're right these things happen. nothing to do with the Ball as you said.

I reckon there'll be a ball. They would have HAD to say there's none at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 baallbag

Entsballer you know something, just tell us gowaannn

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭spillit67

Heavens above. A facebook page that was redundant was used for something else? Have you told the village elders?

It was a great ball mate, we'll leave it at that :)

Using data collected under a different pretense to spam people's facebook accounts with someones personal after office business is dubious at best.

If UCD emails were used then it would come under data protection and fb accounts really aren't all that different.

Yes it was a great ball as I congratulated at the time, you're right, should have been just left it at that.:cool:

• Advertisement

baallbag wrote: »
    Entsballer you know something, just tell us gowaannn

I know naaaatinnnnn :)

If UCD emails were used then it would come under data protection and fb accounts really aren't all that different.

Completely different. facebook own every single thing you put on there and they data mine the bejesus's out of it. By 'Liking' a page your basically asking them to supply you with information. Its like electing into marketing phone calls, texts etc. If it annoys you, unlike it.

Completely different. facebook own every single thing you put on there and they data mine the bejesus's out of it. By 'Liking' a page your basically asking them to supply you with information. Its like electing into marketing phone calls, texts etc. If it annoys you, unlike it.

I said "if". I know well the law regarding it. I am discussing the morals of using an audience built for promoting and selling UCD Ball tickets for a Tuesday night club event.

I said "if". I know well the law regarding it. I am discussing the morals of using an audience built for promoting and selling UCD Ball tickets for a Tuesday night club event.

I can't see any tuesday night adverts on that page? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one

I can't see any tuesday night adverts on that page? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one

Deleted but type into google UCD Ball coppers Tuesdays and a lot are cached.

Deleted but type into google UCD Ball coppers Tuesdays and a lot are cached.

Ah I see. Ah sure who gives a hump anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21 baallbag

Entsballer1 if theres no ball your getting the blame, who ever goes to this meeting tonight, give us an update on this, would love to know what they have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

UCD Ball confirmed, off campus location according to the college tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

All they've said is an indoor venue, within 45 minutes, going to be 35 euro. Capacity is upwards of 3000 which is said to be breakeven point. So I'd presume a lot bigger.

Speculate people.

errlloyd wrote: »
    All they've said is an indoor venue, within 45 minutes, going to be 35 euro. Capacity is upwards of 3000 which is said to be breakeven point. So I'd presume a lot bigger.

Speculate people.

That rules out any nightclub.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

Speculate people.

Wright Venue.

Academy is too small. No other indoor venue even close to Wright Venue size. Would be kinda weird going there during the day though. You couldn't get the O2 etc. Theres no other music venue of 3000+ size within 45 mins of Dublin, at least that I'm aware of. Unless they are building something somewhere. Indoor Simmonscourt but that would be a hugely expensive option.

Wright Venue.

Academy is too small. No other indoor venue even close to Wright Venue size. Would be kinda weird going there during the day though. You couldn't get the O2 etc. Theres no other music venue of 3000+ size within 45 mins of Dublin, at least that I'm aware of. Unless they are building something somewhere. Indoor Simmonscourt but that would be a hugely expensive option.

Wright venue is still too small. Was it said it was a day time event? or are we looking at a regular evening gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

The attraction of the UCD ball has always been that its outside and has a kind of festival feel. If it's indoors and not in UCD, what's the point in going?

bbuzz wrote: »
    The attraction of the UCD ball has always been that its outside and has a kind of festival feel. If it's indoors and not in UCD, what's the point in going?

Alcohol and hormones I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Struggling to think of any indoor venue within 45 minutes of UCD with a capacity of at least 3,000... Citywest arena? (can't see that happening!). Anyway the whole indoor thing doesn't appeal to me, think I shall pass on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Alcohol and hormones I'd imagine.

Ha, you'd be better going to coppers for that!

I suppose what I meant is, how do they justify a price of €35 for what's just going to be a glorified nightclub.

*I should probably reserve judgement until its properly announced though and I know all the facts.

Wright venue is still too small. Was it said it was a day time event? or are we looking at a regular evening gig?

Hmm..true. Best estimate I can get on the Wright Venue is ~1600 people.

I suppose what I meant is, how do they justify a price of €35 for what's just going to be a glorified nightclub.

*I should probably reserve judgement until its properly announced though and I know all the facts.

I'd imagine there'd be a whopper act(s)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

this isn't going to end well

• Advertisement

Ah people will go to it whatever. It is the end of term celebration. They know there will be a good crowd and a lot of people their own age there. It's just like why you don't have to justify the Debs, no matter what price or where it is. Some people it will matter to sure, but most, meh.

Advertisement