Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Was hardly gonna be outdoors in the o2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Doors at 5pm means it's the exact same as any other gig in the O2. It's a nighttime show folks. Indoor.

:(

doors at 5, closes at what?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

doors at 5, closes at what?

Well I'd imagine that the curfew means that it will have to finish at 11pm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

O2 wil run into issues playing after 11pm... will result in big fines unless the can circumvent the curfew imposed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

O2 wil run into issues playing after 11pm... will result in big fines unless the can circumvent the curfew imposed

I was there for a few electronica gigs (Tiesto etc) and it was bang on 12 from what I can remember. Would explain the 'free in' to clubs afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

ironclaw wrote: »
    I was there for a few electronica gigs (Tiesto etc) and it was bang on 12 from what I can remember. Would explain the 'free in' to clubs afterwards.

Maybe it depends on whether it's a weekend or weekday gig?

bbuzz wrote: »
    Maybe it depends on whether it's a weekend or weekday gig?

Pretty sure it was a Friday. Either way, they'd have the money to pay curfew fines etc and they still stopped early. I'm fairly sure the O2 has to finish at 12 no matter what. Wasn't it part of the planning / residents agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

While it's in the best interests of concert-goers/crew/venue employees to finish up at a reasonable hour, I'm pretty sure there is no curfew at all in The O2. I remember this being talked about last time Guns N' Roses played the venue (they finished playing after 1am).

honru wrote: »
    While it's in the best interests of concert-goers/crew/venue employees to finish up at a reasonable hour, I'm pretty sure there is no curfew at all in The O2. I remember this being talked about last time Guns N' Roses played the venue (they finished playing after 1am).

That was an exception given the antics of Guns N' Roses themselves. The O2 does have a curfew and it was a hot topic of debate during the rebuild with the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Any news on the lineup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I thought he said on twitter a few days ago it isn't the o2?

meh, not a massive deal. just don't get what all the fuss was about keeping is in the dark. was that supposed to be suspense or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

I wonder what kind of demand they have, any idea on how many the sold today?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

they sold somewhere between 1500-2000 today as far as i can see !

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭spillit67

https://twitter.com/fjohynes/status/324968988096491520

It was going to be Tuesday, then today. When is it going to be now? They haven't even confirmed the location but it seems to be 99% certain to be the O2. Not happy with this after Heffo seemingly lying on twitter. Getting the feeling they know people will criticise the O2 and are stretching this out so as to sell as many as possible.

Hopefully there will be some garden sessions going for the night as I'm really not interested in an indoor event. Congrats for getting a venue but I can go to a series of these small acts indoors if I want, that just ain't the UCD Ball for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

Spillit67 I'd like to think that if they're holding off on announcing they're just finishing up some things and that it'll be worth the wait.

As for the O2, the ball has been an issue on campus for years, if this year goes well then I can see the O2 being the balls new home for the next few years. Personally I think it could work well, guess we'll have to wait and see but if the line up is good then it'll be worth the ticket price to go and check it out. It could be the start of something beautiful..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd imagine they may have gotten a decent price on the o2 given the exposure it will give to a large part of their target market? Just a thought given that people were ruling it out on price grounds. Could be a great event for the o2 to get new customers and show off the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think they're in talks to get the o2 tent village outside open, to give it a bit of a festival atmosphere.

Tbh, the best thing for ents rep right now, would be a shed load of rain. We'd all be pretty chuffed for the indoor ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

25 euro for a mostly indoor ball, what's that going to get you?

I think for next year, with a professional officer, not only should we see a more varied and creative Ball, but also events running concurrently throughout the year that offer variety rather than your same, typical club night, with drink promos the only selling point. I'm thinking themed events, and innovative ones, from design to lightning, to give the place some atmosphere., that applies for the ball as well as any other social events In the O2, I can't help feel it will be souless... as a stop gap for this year fine, but for next year, they need to be more daring.

I think they should become more engaged with the students for next year, about what they want in terms of the ball, what acts they would like to see, (within reason and budgetary limits) and what kind of atmosphere/ setup they would like generally speaking. Hopefully next year ENTS will be daring and co-operate with the Students of UCD to inject a unique experience onto campus and outside campus life, so that we can not only compete but rival with other colleges in Ireland.

Hopefully in the new semester we see a more vibrant atmosphere on campus, obviously with the new bar arriving that will help. I can't help but think that the potential for the STudent Club was missed this year, and that they could of done something with it. In any case, it would be great to see different events that offer something daring organized by the student body. THere were some initiatives proposed this year that never came to fruition and that's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

Realistically, come the day everyone's going to be buzzing that it's happening at all and there's going to be an awful lot of alcohol taken. People just love the final blow out before exams.

Considering how much complaining/speculating that's been happening in the last week, they sold 1500+ tickets yesterday which shows that people aren't too bothered about venue, they just want a party, regardless of location. Same will apply for acts, they're angsty now but once it's announced as long as it's half decent everyone will have a great day anyway.

Hopefully they'll announce soon though...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

25 euro for a mostly indoor ball, what's that going to get you?

I think for next year, with a professional officer, not only should we see a more varied and creative Ball, but also events running concurrently throughout the year that offer variety rather than your same, typical club night, with drink promos the only selling point. I'm thinking themed events, and innovative ones, from design to lightning, to give the place some atmosphere., that applies for the ball as well as any other social events In the O2, I can't help feel it will be souless... as a stop gap for this year fine, but for next year, they need to be more daring.

I think they should become more engaged with the students for next year, about what they want in terms of the ball, what acts they would like to see, (within reason and budgetary limits) and what kind of atmosphere/ setup they would like generally speaking. Hopefully next year ENTS will be daring and co-operate with the Students of UCD to inject a unique experience onto campus and outside campus life, so that we can not only compete but rival with other colleges in Ireland.

Hopefully in the new semester we see a more vibrant atmosphere on campus, obviously with the new bar arriving that will help. I can't help but think that the potential for the STudent Club was missed this year, and that they could of done something with it. In any case, it would be great to see different events that offer something daring organized by the student body. THere were some initiatives proposed this year that never came to frutation and that's a real shame.

Gdmn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Pretty bad sign that they've delayed the lineup announcement, and just a week to go. I wonder if a high-billing act pulled out at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    Gdmn

Are you really 41?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Are you really 41?
    I am..I know you're not though. Any other forty one year-olds I know can spell the word fruition properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

As someone said on facebook, republic of loose must be playing hardball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 reno123

Waiting on contracts. Acts don't turn up and just receive a cheque. It's slow and tedious. But i'm hearing it'll be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Blut2

ucdents.com now has

"Upcoming Events
    UCD Ball 2013
    Date: 26.04.2013
    Venue: The 02
    Time: 17:00pm"

on its front page. So thats basically confirmed. Any word on when acts are going to be announced? Or any plausible rumours?

The hacks are shocked by people not caring about SU politics and getting rid off Ents and then this kind of crap happens. 7 days and not one Act confirmed. Professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Jesus lads its €25/35 quid for a ball.. Say whatever you want about how trinity's is better and whatnot, but those tickets sell for €80 - over THREE TIMES more than the earlybirds. I know for a fact they were planning on having it on campus until the easter midterm, at which point they were denied it by the gardai. So they've done all this in a very short amount of time (and also don't ball ticket-holders get free entry into a club afterwards?).

Unless the lineup is terribly, terribly bad (which I doubt it will be), I think we should shut up complaining and give the organisers a pat on the back for (fingers crossed) pulling this off.

Jesus lads its €25/35 quid for a ball.. Say whatever you want about how trinity's is better and whatnot, but those tickets sell for €80 - over THREE TIMES more than the earlybirds. I know for a fact they were planning on having it on campus until the easter midterm, at which point they were denied it by the gardai. So they've done all this in a very short amount of time (and also don't ball ticket-holders get free entry into a club afterwards?).

Unless the lineup is terribly, terribly bad (which I doubt it will be), I think we should shut up complaining and give the organisers a pat on the back for (fingers crossed) pulling this off.

Contingency planning non existent in Ents so and once again scrambling.

Seems a common theme that there is drama with the UCD Ball and excuses rolled out (though last year I thought Ents was v good, I did post this last year btw so I'm not just a cynical complain about everything, "what do you do in UCD?" type of person before an ex Sabat jumps down my throat). We should be grateful blah blah blah. Don't you know how difficult it is to arrange font on the posters satisfactorily for the Acts? Only the UCD Ball encounters these problems it seems. This should be have been sorted weeks ago, the scrambling is getting very old.

Yeah 25-35 quid 6 days out with no Act confirmed, price is irrelevant to professionalism. We'll announce on Tuesday, no Thursday, sorry there's a short delay...its now Saturday.

Doesn't matter how good the act is going to be at this stage for my point, is is laughably unprofessional and underlines why it is good that Ents has been taken from the elected Sabat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

UCD Ball facebook page just announced the following:

"Stage Times for the UCD Ball (The 02, Friday 26th) can now be announced:

Hudson Taylor 18:00
    Kodaline 18:30
    Bastille: 19:30
    The Vaccines 20:30
    Macklemore 22:00

Doors open at 17:00"

Advertisement