Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Can't wait now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Blut2

Sounds fake to me. Macklemore's tour page lists:

SOLD OUT
    Colchester, VT
    04/25/2013
    at Ross Sports Center

ON SALE
    Rochester, NY
    04/28/2013
    at Gordon Field House

So hes going to fly to Ireland for a 35eur a ticket "festival" gig in-between a show on Thursday and one on Sunday in the U.S.?

Edit: Also The Vaccines are playing in Paris on Friday 26th:

Friday 26 April 2013

The Vaccines
    Le Bataclan Paris, France

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

edgal wrote: »
    UCD Ball facebook page just announced the following:

"Stage Times for the UCD Ball (The 02, Friday 26th) can now be announced:

Hudson Taylor 18:00
    Kodaline 18:30
    Bastille: 19:30
    The Vaccines 20:30
    Macklemore 22:00

Doors open at 17:00"

What facebook page? AFAIK they don't have one set up for this year yet.

• Advertisement

Eoghan41 wrote: »

That page is 100% fake.

Ultimate troll

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

That page is a pisstake.
    They "announced" at two in the morning last night. It's facebook URL was mountanville.christmasreunion, which I found rather amusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

In fairness to Heffo & the rest of the team looking after the UCD Ball, it's a lot tougher than a lot of people think. There are so many small licensing and contractual issues involved in booking acts/hosting events this large, you don't just throw a few bob to each act and they come over and play.

Having seen the actual lineup, it's quite good (Particularly for the price, considering I paid €30 for just one of the acts two months ago), there is something there for everyone. I think once it's officially announced, the majority of people will stop complaining and just get their tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭spillit67

In fairness to Heffo & the rest of the team looking after the UCD Ball, it's a lot tougher than a lot of people think. There are so many small licensing and contractual issues involved in booking acts/hosting events this large, you don't just throw a few bob to each act and they come over and play.

Having seen the actual lineup, it's quite good (Particularly for the price, considering I paid €30 for just one of the acts two months ago), there is something there for everyone. I think once it's officially announced, the majority of people will stop complaining and just get their tickets.

Nada to do with price. If it is on a par with last years acts then no problem with the price at all (as I said last year). I do not accept that the UCD Ball is unique enough to not have Acts announced 6 days prior sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 baallbag

If you have seen the line up tell us it then? UCD ents have left us in the dark for the past two days a ****e poster saying a small delay does not suffice. You'd think after 2000 people buying tickets the would respect that and update us on whats going on even to say if they are still working on stuff or to tell us there will be no news until such and such date, but to have people confused about whats going on and given no apologies is just ridiculous.....yeah fair play to get the ball going but you need to be professional about it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Obviously I know there's a lot to it, but what annoys me is the unrealistic deadlines for announcement they have obviously been setting themselves, they should be more open about whats going on and when we can realistically expect an announcement - rather than the farce that has been "Announcement Tuesday, actually Thursday at 6, Gonna be Thursday at 8 now! Bear with us, just a slight delay on that announcement. Gonna be tomorrow now lads. Few problems lads, tomorrow again.' And now... silence!

You can mark your words this won't be happening with a professional in next year. They'll be cutting it fine if its not announced by Monday. Looking forward to the announcement and I'll be going regardless for my last ball, just would have preferred to not spend every day waiting for a promised announcement

Edit: Just after I wrote this, saw heffo is now saying 6.30 tonight on his twitter. Hopefully this'll be it!

Announcement is coming in the next couple of hours apparently.

Offside wrote: »
    Edit: Just after I wrote this, saw heffo is now saying 6.30 tonight on his twitter. Hopefully this'll be it!

This is the same Heffo who categorically stated it wouldnt be in the o2 on his twitter yes....? How could one possibly not trust him...

If the UCD ball had been properly planned from the start surely the acts would have been lined up months in advance. The news that a venue change was necessary at the Easter break wouldnt have been ideal but wouldnt have required too much last minute scrambling.

The constant delay of announcement of lineup this week only means one thing - they've made a complete mess of the event and are desperately scrambling last minute to pull a headliner out of the bag.

I'm sure the usual SU hacks will come in defending Ents for this shambles but really, its an event with a captive market of thousands of students willing to pay 30-40eur a ticket, on a date set in stone. How hard can it be to organise acts and a venue a decent amount of time in advance?

Blut2 wrote: »
    This is the same Heffo who categorically stated it wouldnt be in the o2 on his twitter yes....? How could one possibly not trust him...

If the UCD ball had been properly planned from the start surely the acts would have been lined up months in advance. The news that a venue change was necessary at the Easter break wouldnt have been ideal but wouldnt have required too much last minute scrambling.

The constant delay of announcement of lineup this week only means one thing - they've made a complete mess of the event and are desperately scrambling last minute to pull a headliner out of the bag.

I'm sure the usual SU hacks will come in defending Ents for this shambles but really, its an event with a captive market of thousands of students willing to pay 30-40eur a ticket, on a date set in stone. How hard can it be to organise acts and a venue a decent amount of time in advance?

I think they were doing their best to have it on campus, but I don't think that the university or the guards have been that helpful. And it seems that the final nail in the coffin came late on in the process. You can't book acts if you don't have a venue confirmed, so they couldn't do anything about it.

Like at the end of the day, they've done pretty well to organise the o2, considering last year the SU categorically said there was no way to organise an off campus ball. And if it's Pissing rain on friday, people will be happy to be inside!

As for the line-up, I think it's a bit unfair to judge before its been announced. It'll never be stellar (what do you expect for €35), but at least wait and see. Anyway, the ball's never been solely about the music.

PS: Haven't been involved in the SU for the last year and don't know anyone involved in Ents this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Entsballer1

bbuzz wrote: »
    I think they were doing their best to have it on campus, but I don't think that the university or the guards have been that helpful. And it seems that the final nail in the coffin came late on in the process. You can't book acts if you don't have a venue confirmed, so they couldn't do anything about it.

Like at the end of the day, they've done pretty well to organise the o2, considering last year the SU categorically said there was no way to organise an off campus ball. And if it's Pissing rain on friday, people will be happy to be inside!

As for the line-up, I think it's a bit unfair to judge before its been announced. It'll never be stellar (what do you expect for €35), but at least wait and see. Anyway, the ball's never been solely about the music.

PS: Haven't been involved in the SU for the last year and don't know anyone involved in Ents this year.

Not once did the SU say there was no way to organise an off campus ball. You're just making stuff up now mate.

Not once did the SU say there was no way to organise an off campus ball. You're just making stuff up now mate.

It was said in council in march last year by either Darcy or Pat. They said they had looked into an off campus event and had found it was too expensive and impossible to do in a short space of time.

Theres a heap of venues available in the Dublin area. It would have made far more sense to plan for it being on in UCD but with potential backups (the o2, the RDS, Leopardstown, whatever) roughly outlined as contingency plans.

It will undoubtedly be a decent day, thats not the problem here. Thousands of hammered students on the last day of term are always gonna have a fun time. The problem is, with a bit of professionalism it could be a great day.

The date, and rough budget, have been known since the start of the year. And it looks like Ents are still struggling not to ruin the day. If this event was being organised by, for example, a corporate firm (or realistically, by anyone who wasnt completely inept) there would have been contingency plans in place. And things would have been finalised far more than 6 (!!) days in advance. Instead of this completely messy, last minute, scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Entsballer1

It was said in council in march last year by either Darcy or Pat. They said they had looked into an off campus event and had found it was too expensive and impossible to do in a short space of time.

UCD Ball was confirmed for On Campus before xmas last year so they didn't say that.

They even had Leopardstown Racecourse ready to go 'production wise' for a 3000 capacity Freshers Ball in September, with Gardai approval and event management approval, but the Acts couldn't commit in time. Unless that's what you mean.

If they can organise the O2 within a few weeks of the event then they can organise it 3 months out. They should have had the contingency, okay if on campus is vetoed then O2 book straight away. I don't buy the excuses sorry.

I'm not sure if it matters now with Ents being professionalised or if it exists already but there needs to be a strategic plan for the ball set in stone by the SU. If you don't have on campus sorted 2-3 months out then another venue has to be greenlighted immediately and forget on campus. It is the event that the students look forward to every year but it seems to be an ongoing drama over it.

2 of the last 3 years have just looked plain sloppy from the SU I'm sorry, but should we be surprised given the management of the Union for the past decade. (not a critique of all former Officers btw, lot of respect for the likes of DeBrúin who took a lot of flak for basically cleaning up the rubbish of preceeding years, but the SU as a whole has been an embarrassment for quite a long time.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Acts just announced:

This Club
    Gigi D'Agostino
    Hudson Taylor
    Passenger

http://www.facebook.com/events/492968927440831/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ShaunaMoll

Lineup isn't a complete farce - Passenger, This Club.. Still waiting for a big headliner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Line up is class!! Looks like enough acts for multi-stage set up anyway. So they must be using the tent village outside. Maybe there will be a festival atmosphere after all!

ShaunaMoll wrote: »
    Lineup isn't a complete farce - Passenger, This Club.. Still waiting for a big headliner though.

Gigi D'Agostino is pretty good in fairness. I can see where the "language issues" emerged from.:pac:

What capacity are they looking at?

capacity of standing is about 8000 maybe more depends on the licence there gona get

baallbag wrote: »
    capacity of standing is about 8000 maybe more depends on the licence there gona get

Tickets won't be tough to get so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There was lots of talk about building stuff inside the o2 to make it more festivaly. So it could take up space and reduce capacity. In any case more than 2000 sold before line up, I'd imagine they'll shift a few thousand more.

Im buzzin for it anyway cant wait to see who the headline act is, anyone know? heard all this talk about benny benassi but he's at coachella this weekend and he has shows in the states throughout may so i doubt he'l come back for the ucd ball to be honest, I'm guessing bastille or bressie, bressie would be ****e bastille would be great

• Advertisement

Ucd ents website also crashed earlier on so must be a big enough demand for tickets

Advertisement