Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best commuter / fun bike ever

• 19-03-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

guys i am seeking advice :)

short story - i am currently bikeless :( but with a great vision and future :) my wife agreed that i may purchase "2 wheels baby" in the first week of june. my budget is between 4-5K. why i am asking now? well i wanna be sure what i want. and i like to know what other experienced fellow bikers like and prefer. "more heads more brain."

for what i need it? daily commuting cca 50 miles a day - half of it in town and half away. + spins, spins, spins, poker and charity runs, and did i say spins and fun rides?

what i like or what i am thinking --
    i like supermoto (SM)

honda fmx 650
    suzuki drz 400

and standard sports bikes

cbr 600 rr
    zx6r
    gsxr 750 o 1000

this is what i am thinking in my "own head". i know cbr 600 rr will be strong and bulletproof but i wanna have a fun... :)

and i like spins and meetings ... weekly almost. so i need something that will last and keep me entertained for long time.

any tips and experiences shared will be apreciated.

btw i am 190cm and about 110kg

for info what i had (gixer 600, cbr 600, superfour, rsv mille, 636, dragstar, KLE, and few more)

i dont like fazer, for some reason, i have nothing against it but just the model is not sayinig to me anything so style fazer its not my choice ... :)

Thanks in advance

so waht will you recommed or what will be your choice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ed here is what I recommend:-

KTM Duke 6 or 9 (whatever you can afford)
    CBR 1100 Blackbird
    VFR 800
    GSXR 750
    R6 (for a 600 it is just mental quick)
    Triumh Sprint 1050st

Best of Luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Do not buy a Honda FMX anyway. At your size it will be pitifully slow and useless for anything other than getting through heavy traffic. It's only 33bhp or something. If you want a Supermoto type bike go for a KTM 690SMC. They still arent ideal for motorways or faster roads but are great fun around town or on really twisty backroads.
    The KTM 950/990 might be more suited if you have had 600s and stuff before though. As for the 600 sportsbikes they all have different strengths and weaknesses depending on the year etc.
    The gixxer is the most comfortable one through the years though and the 06 onwards 750 is a fantastic bike. If you don't want a 1000 this might be the way to go. Just budget for some suspension sorting at 110kg as they are road biased standard so softer than something like the current R6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Anyone have idea about ktm durability? I am not really into rebuilding engines. I am just scared ti go to ktm way. I like them ok but...

Thanks for imput.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ed here is what I recommend:-

KTM Duke 6 or 9 (whatever you can afford) Great bike, hard to keep the front wheel down though.
    CBR 1100 Blackbird - Wicked fast, and with Honda reliability. Great bike for touring.
    VFR 800 - Definitely get the VTEC version. Tis fun when it kicks in!
    GSXR 750 - Fantastic bike. Quick, agile, nimble....beautiful.
    R6 (for a 600 it is just mental quick) - Too track focused. Very quick, but too hard to ride on Irish roads.
    Triumh Sprint 1050st - Great bike too. Ideal for long hauls.

Best of Luck with the purchase.

I kinda agree with what Gary has recommended, but my own thoughts are highlighted..

I had the the chance to ride the Sprint GT 2 weeks ago, smiler got one. And it is a very nice bike to ride, big and powerful but agile too...and the grunt of the engine was the icing on the cake. It would deffo tick all the boxes for you Ed expecially with the panniers added for long hauls its a very good alround bike.

• Advertisement

I had never driven triumph bike i know they are legends but i know nothing about build quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Bikerguy wrote: »
    I had never driven triumph bike i know they are legends but i know nothing about build quality

well i have a 1996 trophy900 with 34,000 miles on it, its an ex-uk bike and tbh apart from a little flaking on the lower fork legs everything else seems pretty much perfect, no rust on the nuts and bolts, no flaky engine cases stainless brake lines all round as std, big comfy seat, surprisingly nimble when your rolling and the noise and grunt from the triple is nice:D

Well considering that the 2013 Daytona 675r is arguably the best sportsbike ever made (according to every major bike publication and online media) following on from the last years excellant model I would say they know what they are doing.

I would love a street triple sport myself, very sexy. And the new tiger is also meant to be excellant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I had the the chance to ride the Sprint GT 2 weeks ago, smiler got one. And it is a very nice bike to ride, big and powerful but agile too...and the grunt of the engine was the icing on the cake.

Ironically Triumph made the swingarm a good bit longer on the GT. The 1050 ST or 955 ST would be faster turning. The 955 RS was even more so but they're a bit rare. The GT was a bit of a parts bin model and has been discontinued. I've a 955 ST and the motor is fantastic. It would be very hard to go back to an inline four for a future bike...

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Ironically Triumph made the swingarm a good bit longer on the GT. The 1050 ST or 955 ST would be faster turning. The 955 RS was even more so but they're a bit rare. The GT was a bit of a parts bin model and has been discontinued. I've a 955 ST and the motor is fantastic. It would be very hard to go back to an inline four for a future bike...

This is what i wanna know before making the decision. Experience and tips is the best advice. Btw will the bike i mean triumph in general suit tall person? I was on cbr600rr other day and i felt little to big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I have 2 bikes that might fit the bill a yam xtx660 sm reliable fun a little slow on motorways, or a tuono 1000 mad everywhere like a supermoto on steroids! Have a fzs1000 which makes the most sense but keeping that. All 3 below the budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Btw will the bike i mean triumph in general suit tall person? I was on cbr600rr other day and i felt little to big.

No because they make different sizes and types of bike same as any other manufacturer.

In general litre bikes are more roomy than 600s, sports-touring more roomy than supersport, you really need to sit on a bike to get an idea of how it fits you though. You can get bar risers for most bikes if you want a more upright riding position.

Scrap the cap!

fatbast wrote: »
    I have 2 bikes that might fit the bill a yam xtx660 sm reliable fun a little slow on motorways, or a tuono 1000 mad everywhere like a supermoto on steroids! Have a fzs1000 which makes the most sense but keeping that. All 3 below the budget

Yamaha xtx is actualy something i may like yeh. Touno? Well i had rsv so its the same but naked. I love the power and sound. Only thing is that aprilia sux a little they need a lot of atention.
    I will check xtx, are you happy with the power output? As well is she ok for spins and any problems with her? Thanks

ninja900 wrote: »
    No because they make different sizes and types of bike same as any other manufacturer.

In general litre bikes are more roomy than 600s, sports-touring more roomy than supersport, you really need to sit on a bike to get an idea of how it fits you though. You can get bar risers for most bikes if you want a more upright riding position.

Hm i know but on gixer and rsv i felt good without any modifications. Looking on triumph they are sweet but i am not sure about maintenance and service i have a feeling they are expensive.

ithink i know what i am gonna get now.. after deep deep research... iam folling in love again

in other words i will buy blackbird 99,99%.. as i think that will suit me... quick, big, and solid buletproof.. and it has the best reviews and people are extrely happy doing over 100k in miles on them. so hassle free bike even the 98 version. and well priced.

Yep excellant bike and you wont go far wrong. One of the lads I go for a spin with has 3-4 bikes and loves his blackbird......and they are very reliable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ithink i know what i am gonna get now.. after deep deep research... iam folling in love again

in other words i will buy blackbird 99,99%.. as i think that will suit me... quick, big, and solid buletproof.. and it has the best reviews and people are extrely happy doing over 100k in miles on them. so hassle free bike even the 98 version. and well priced.

Definitely one I want in the collection in the garage. But don't they go through a back tyre every 10 miles? You'll have everyone telling you that :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Definitely one I want in the collection in the garage. But don't they go through a back tyre every 10 miles? You'll have everyone telling you that :pac:

Suppose it depends on how you ride them.....

Yep excellant bike and you wont go far wrong. One of the lads I go for a spin with has 3-4 bikes and loves his blackbird......and they are very reliable too.

yeh i have met the fella :) and his blue monster, do you remember i saw the bike and i said what a nice "busa" :))))) because of the size and i could see it only from front and it kinda reminds me suzuki.

you see they have no issues at all, only cam chain - taht can be done in few mins by anybody and people drive them for 100k + miles without anything - and even with some weekend track days in it. i mean they need just standard service, fluids, brakes, tyres... battery... and thats what i wanna... easy going bike that can pull. i dont mind the weight at all. and even tho its eating only 40mpg when pulling and 50+ when touring. so thats not bad at all. and the engine sounds like a turbine/jet :)))
    Suppose it depends on how you ride them.....

well i red a lot of pages and reviews and they saying that 4-5k miles on back tyre is easy - 8 on front. so i dont think that will be problem. because of the brake system burning is not an option on this monsta at all. --> brakes are connected together. so you brakin with both of them all the time. anyway ... i am done. now just wait for the right time to come up - in other words my wife has to say yes baby you can buy your bike now. :) thats gonna happend within weeks time, untill then i can only dream on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

yeh i have met the fella :) and his blue monster, do you remember i saw the bike and i said what a nice "busa" :))))) because of the size and i could see it only from front and it kinda reminds me suzuki.

you see they have no issues at all, only cam chain - taht can be done in few mins by anybody and people drive them for 100k + miles without anything - and even with some weekend track days in it. i mean they need just standard service, fluids, brakes, tyres... battery... and thats what i wanna... easy going bike that can pull. i dont mind the weight at all. and even tho its eating only 40mpg when pulling and 50+ when touring. so thats not bad at all. and the engine sounds like a turbine/jet :)))

well i red a lot of pages and reviews and they saying that 4-5k miles on back tyre is easy - 8 on front. so i dont think that will be problem. because of the brake system burning is not an option on this monsta at all. --> brakes are connected together. so you brakin with both of them all the time. anyway ... i am done. now just wait for the right time to come up - in other words my wife has to say yes baby you can buy your bike now. :) thats gonna happend within weeks time, untill then i can only dream on.
    Bloody hell, you've almost convinced me to get one! Are they comfortable for touring on? I'm about to buy a car, what would the wife say if I came home with a blackbird? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Reg/recs give trouble on these, just like most Hondas from that Era.
    Fantastic bikes though, there was a beauty on Donedeal a few weeks ago with 16k miles on it for just shy of 4k.

Bloody hell, you've almost convinced me to get one! Are they comfortable for touring on? I'm about to buy a car, what would the wife say if I came home with a blackbird? :pac:

i am gonna tell you what i know.

they are called supersport touring monsta :) ---> they will take you anywhere in world going any speed you wanna :)

depend your high you may need minimal changes to make them even more comfy, such as 6mm rear sus raiser + handle bars raiser, foot pads extender. thats all, but thats need for people over 6"3 in general. even the passenger is very comfi on them --> i have wife 2 so i need to look after her as well - she didnt feel good on rsv or gsxr at all.. and read forums .. you will find no negative feedback. not even one. everyone love them...

and i cant wait to get one...

1996 release model - carb
    1999 fuel injected model
    2001 fuel injected and added lcd
    2003 discounted in US
    2007 discounted in EU
    as for now no changes :) tehy are sjut running and running

this is the general model chars ofc they made further changes such as fueling etc. but in general this is the guide. i will be looking probably on the 2001+ model.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Reg/recs give trouble on these, just like most Hondas from that Era.
    Fantastic bikes though, there was a beauty on Donedeal a few weeks ago with 16k miles on it for just shy of 4k.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4656221

bargain and undestroyable

The one I saw was 05 and 3950 in blue.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The one I saw was 05 and 3950 in blue.

i must have missed that....

i must have missed that....
    Was up for about 4 days and then gone. Lots of UK dealers looking for clean low mileage 'birds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I have heard plenty of good things about Blackbirds, but are they not a little too big for filtering in town? How are you finding it? I would have thought a VFR would have been a great match for your size and needs, but then again it's not cheap to service either.

Well its not only filtering as u mentioned i need something strong and durable. I believe that bird will be the right choice for sure. Vfr is grand dont get me wrong but for some reason i prefer bird.. And according the reviews bird engine is smooth even on low speeds.. But its not for busy traffic i know but i cant have all...

Blackbird is fine without the panniers....so no probs filtering. Every bike is gonna be a right pain in the A hole when filtering with the big ass luggage strapped on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not sure whether it fits your needs but in terms of fun, the Triumph Street Triple has been getting fantastic reviews...

Advertisement