Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to go about learning web design?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this in the "Ridiculous price-war and undercutting in Web Design" thread but was advised best to start a new thread :)

I've been messing around with DreamWeaver the last year or so. Nothing special. Only here and there in my spare time. Would never have the gall to run a service offering web design (as what the above thread was about :p )

But can anyone tell me the best way to learn web design? ... i've heard alot of it is "self-thought" - but dont you learn bad habits with being self-thought?

Can anyone advise me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

TBH I wouldn't bother with Dreamweaver, or similar. A simple notepad app (I use Notepad ++), browser and image editor (Gimp?) should be enough.

I really like Bucky's videos - http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=40

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

<snip>
    I highly recommended this book .http://htmlandcssbook.com very easy to follow.

Also in terms of coding are all excellent websites

Practise makes perfect. Dont start of using dreamweaver start using notepad, learn the basics and build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thanks for getting back guys. Am going to knuckle down and learn from the links you both posted above. Again, I say cheers :)

But i'm curious, is the standard of web design these days self-thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

More or less. Its very hard to teach a subject that is constantly evolving. You really need to be proactive if you want to be industry standard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

But i'm curious, is the standard of web design these days self-thought?
    Was just reading this the other day and nodding in agreement:
    Personally, when I look at people’s CVs, the first thing I’ll do is Google them. Then, I’ll take a look at their Github profile. Then I look at their education. It’s important that if they did a degree, they did well - but it doesn’t matter if they didn’t do one at all.

If a formal learning environment works well for you, and you can afford it, then by all means go that route. It's certainly unlikely to do any damage – but it's unlikely to be the first thing I'd look for from a new employee.

As miralize mentions, it's a fast moving industry. Formally educated or not, it's highly important that you have the ability to teach yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement