Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rimbaud - good translations

Options
  • 19-03-2013 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, a question and a bit of frustration-expressing!
    Big fan of Rimbaud's poetry since I was a teenager (not that long ago, I hasten to add!) when I stumbled across a slim and certainly not comprehensive volume of my Nan's that I fell in love with. She died a few years ago however and most of her books got spirited away, so I never did find that copy again. I've been on the hunt ever since (couldn't even describe to you what it looked like) for a decent translation. Now, my French is virtually non-existent, so I'm by no means an expert, but I have yet to find a translation that captures the essence the same way that book did, until I recently picked up a biography of Rimbaud by Edmund White, who did his own translations I believe, and very beautiful they are. It's only a slim book, however, and only a handful of poems are reproduced in it.

So basically I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good translation of Rimbaud - I have read Fowlie's and it just leaves me cold. I found it very solid and utilitarian compared to the gorgeous translations I read before, and in White's book (can someone persuade him to do his own translation? That would be divine!). I appreciate that poetry is particularly hard to translate, but perhaps someone out there can recommend one they enjoyed, or should I just give up and learn French altogether? :pac:

Advertisement