Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I qualify for a H1B visa?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I've hoping to get some advice on the H1B visa.

Just a little bit of backround information. I graduated from a 3 year degree in May 2012 and I left for the US in December 2012 (on the 12 month graduate visa). I am interested in extending my time here and I think the H1B visa seems to be the most obvious way of doing this, but I am aware that this visa requires an Employer sponsor.

I am just wondering if I would qualify for this visa? I have a 3 year degree, but I don't have too much in the line of work experience so I am not sure if the H1B would be a viable option.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I've hoping to get some advice on the H1B visa.

Just a little bit of backround information. I graduated from a 3 year degree in May 2012 and I left for the US in December 2012 (on the 12 month graduate visa). I am interested in extending my time here and I think the H1B visa seems to be the most obvious way of doing this, but I am aware that this visa requires an Employer sponsor.

I am just wondering if I would qualify for this visa? I have a 3 year degree, but I don't have too much in the line of work experience so I am not sure if the H1B would be a viable option.

Thanks for reading!
    What is your degree/work in? It need to be a "specialty" occupation as defined by the Department of labor.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    What is your degree/work in? It need to be a "specialty" occupation as defined by the Department of labor.

Hi - Thank you for your reply.

I have a law degree. I just don't have a lot of work experience on top of that so I'm not sure if that would exclude me from applying for a H1B visa.

Hi - Thank you for your reply.

I have a law degree. I just don't have a lot of work experience on top of that so I'm not sure if that would exclude me from applying for a H1B visa.

No, experience helps but it no necessary. I had 1 yrs experience getting mine as an Engineer. Do you work in Law right now, the job type is important as it needs to be classified a specialty occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    No, experience helps but it no necessary. I had 1 yrs experience getting mine as an Engineer. Do you work in Law right now, the job type is important as it needs to be classified a specialty occupation?

Oh, that's a relief to know! I was working as a Legal Assistant in a law firm up untill last week, but I finished the job as I was hoping to find something a little closer to home and something that offered me full-time hours so I'm on the job market again and hopefully I'll find an employer that would be willing to sponsor me.

Are you currently on a H1B visa?

Oh, that's a relief to know! I was working as a Legal Assistant in a law firm up untill last week, but I finished the job as I was hoping to find something a little closer to home and something that offered me full-time hours so I'm on the job market again and hopefully I'll find an employer that would be willing to sponsor me.

Are you currently on a H1B visa?

I find the sponsorship sometimes puts employers off and are sometimes worried about the process. This may be different in the law area but there is still cost etc associated with it for the employer. Also you will apply after april 1st then the visa will be valid for October. Yes I am on H1b

• Advertisement
Advertisement