Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house with Septic tank and Well

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently started house hunting and a few of the places I am interested in viewing have their own septic tanks and /or Well systems. I'm looking for any advice on the things I should look out for/questions to ask during the viewing. I know I would need to get experts to inspect things properly if I was interested in the properties but any info you could give me before I reached that stage would be great.
    Thanks a million,
    Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

it might be no harm to take a sample of water from the kitchen sink and get it tested if there is a well .With a septic tank you should get advice on how the tank is working,If the tank is tested by the council and not up to standard it could be expensive to repair or replace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm not sure, but don't you have to have the tank inspected and registered? I would check that.

The water sample idea is a very good one too. If any repairs need to be done, then I would get that written into the contract, thereby forcing the seller to make the repairs to a good standard, before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Sometimes in rural areas septictanks are outside the site boundries and are in a neigbours land.If this is the case you have to make sure you have a right of way to the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭decnug

Thanks for the replies

Advertisement