Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Dont know what people thought of the parade on Sunday but come on 70 walking groups, whats happened to Galway no American bands no floats and no Imagination for attracting people, sure parents and friends will turn out to see their children and friends but when you look at parades that were in Galway years ago its gone totally downhill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, it's pretty bog standard compared to larger cities. Nice day out still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭gifted

The parade in Oranmore was pretty awful. full of school children marching, nothing else. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Have to agree with the OP it was pathetic, in fairness it should not be called a parade its just a walk through town in groups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Chicken1 wrote: »
    it should not be called a parade its just a walk through town in groups.

Parade:
    Noun
    A public procession.

Verb
    Walk or march in public in a formal procession or in an ostentatious or attention-seeking way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been to parades in towns where it was just the local school kids with some tin whistling and a few tractors.
    If you want the massive floats and that you really need to go to NYC or Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Biko I dont know if you remember Galway St Patricks day parades in the 1980s and 1990s they used to have major floats from all the factories and resident groups in Galway and lots of American bands, the Fire service, Army, Ambulance and rescue services etc also took part, they were fantastic parades and great efforts were put into the floats, it was like a Macnas parade full of music and color.

Today as has been said its a walking parade with no excitement .

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Biko I dont know if you remember Galway St Patricks day parades in the 1980s and 1990s they used to have major floats from all the factories and resident groups in Galway and lots of American bands, the Fire service, Army, Ambulance and rescue services etc also took part, they were fantastic parades and great efforts were put into the floats, it was like a Macnas parade full of music and color.

Today as has been said its a walking parade with no excitement .

Macnas worked outside the country this year (perhaps because it pays?) and I don't think call centers pay as much attention to being part of the community as the old factories did =P

The various civil services don't have a parade budget anymore and I doubt the members are as proud or willing to be involved outside the meagre hours they're getting.

Having grown up on the aforementioned tin whistle and tractor parades, I slept through it like every other year since I wasn't dragged out to it.

/eeyore

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Aerohead wrote: »
    Dont know what people thought of the parade on Sunday but come on 70 walking groups, whats happened to Galway no American bands no floats and no Imagination for attracting people, sure parents and friends will turn out to see their children and friends but when you look at parades that were in Galway years ago its gone totally downhill.

And what did you do to contribute to the parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

jamesdiver wrote: »
    And what did you do to contribute to the parade.

Turned out to watch it, was that not good enough

Why didnt you invite a group to the parade, or form one yourself. You're quick to criticise, but its a community effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭gifted

Why didnt you invite a group to the parade, or form one yourself. You're quick to criticise, but its a community effort.

that's a bit unfair, aerohead is entitled to his opinion the same as the rest of us :)

I agree to that; but I'm making a simple point that we can all complain about the quality of something, but no one wants any responsibility to chip in and help out, like all the 'walking groups' tried to do. If you're that bothered with it to create a thread online, get yourself onto the organising committee and do something positive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I agree with ye jamesdiver.
    OP, start something now for the next parade and stop whining about the quality of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the OP it was pathetic, in fairness it should not be called a parade its just a walk through town in groups.

NY parade is ONLY people walking, still a parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

I agree to that; but I'm making a simple point that we can all complain about the quality of something, but no one wants any responsibility to chip in and help out, like all the 'walking groups' tried to do. If you're that bothered with it to create a thread online, get yourself onto the organising committee and do something positive.

im unhappy with the way bus eireann is ran as a company.

should i be a bus driver?

swiftman wrote: »
    im unhappy with the way bus eireann is ran as a company.

should i be a bus driver?

You're comparing Bus Eireann to the Galway parade. Marks for imagination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

It's for children anyway isn't it? I've never really seen a St Patrick's Day parade I've enjoyed be it in Galway, Manchester, London, Dublin. Most of them are just basically walking adverts for various businesses, and these days they all seem to have some Polish/Nigerian/etc floats shoe-horned in. I enjoy these cultures too but it just smacks of political correctness/western guilt. It's supposed to be a celebration of Irish culture.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's for children anyway isn't it? I've never really seen a St Patrick's Day parade I've enjoyed be it in Galway, Manchester, London, Dublin. Most of them are just basically walking adverts for various businesses, and these days they all seem to have some Polish/Nigerian/etc floats shoe-horned in. I enjoy these cultures too but it just smacks of political correctness/western guilt. It's supposed to be a celebration of Irish culture.

If that's what it's supposed to be then I guess they're celebrating new-irish culture too ;)

If that's what it's supposed to be then I guess they're celebrating new-irish culture too ;)
    It's a shame really. We should be encouraging/celebrating the co-existence of several cultures in parallel, not pretending they're all the same. It's this sort of pandering that actually encourages ignorant people to be racist. But that's a bit of a dark tangent to be dragging this thread toward.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Speaking as someone who participated in the parade, to suggest it was 70 groups walking is more than a little disingenuous. Yes, it could do with some quality control and better planning but some groups spend time, money and effort to contribute something. Perhaps the OP should stay at home to watch the Dublin parade on TV or don some rose tinted spectacles to remember how spectacular it was years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

It was poorer than usual, IMO. I've brought the kids for the past few years, and this year it made no impression on them. They watched it, then went home. Never mentioned it again all day. But swine is right, there was never some golden age of Patricks day parades. I'd question how much effort really goes into it though. Some, like the school bands obviously worked hard for it, but most did little barring dress themselves and walk up the town. The Westside ROI Supporters Club were so bad they almost provided entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Gambas wrote: »
    They watched it, then went home. Never mentioned it again all day.

HAhah That's exactly how my kids reacted, too. :)) It was very poor this year, needed a dozen or more floats of the same caliber as that Jim Larkin one. Nothing else gave us that "Wow, that's cool!" feeling. Did I miss the Blue Teapot Theatre entry? They always put on a great show but don't recall seeing them (arrived a few minutes late).

I hate how groups rehash the same thing over and over, like the Coyotes sheriff. Heard lots of overseas accents among the spectators, it's worth doing a good job on the parade to attract tourists.

Great video of Sunday's parade here:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/03/19/you-may-like-this-91/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's supposed to be a celebration of Irish culture.

Is that Irish culture before or after the arrival of the Vikings, St Patrick/Christianity, the Normans, etc?

Is that Irish culture before or after the arrival of the Vikings, St Patrick/Christianity, the Normans, etc?
    After. Have to draw the line somewhere or there'd be people demanding a dinosaur float.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Having a St Patrick's Day Parade before the arrival of St Patrick would be some achivement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

After. Have to draw the line somewhere or there'd be people demanding a dinosaur float.

So .. Irish culture after the Normans, but before the inward migration of the early 21st century. Or should that be before some other key point - maybe before the Pope's visit in 79? Or ...?

You can see the problem with wanting the culture to just stop, can't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There used to be loads more free sweets too.:D

TBH I could've gone home after yer man with the banjo who was quite good. Wouldn't have missed much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The guy on the mic at the seating area / stand at Eyre square needed to shut the **** up. Other than that it was exactly what I expected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Funny how we have people demanding more "Irish" culture in a St Patrick's Day parade when the guy himself was supposedly from Cumbria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

it was always just the march of the blue legs - girl guides with blue legs, school bands with blue legs, local kids groups with blue legs. I'm sure this year was no different, except the legs might be bluer than usual. :P

Advertisement