Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oceanpirate

How about getting some of the Great Band's and Musicians To play a concert in the Square after the parade. ?
    The Power's that be in City Hall have no problem letting the Square be used at Christmas for Profit.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Funny how we have people demanding more "Irish" culture in a St Patrick's Day parade when the guy himself was supposedly from Cumbria.
    I thought he was Welsh? Anyway no, it's not funny. Where St Patrick was from is irrelevant, the day is a celebration of Irish culture. If there was a parade for Polish Constitution Day on May 3rd, I would think it silly if there were floats of Irish trad music and people dancing around waving tricolours.
    So .. Irish culture after the Normans, but before the inward migration of the early 21st century. Or should that be before some other key point - maybe before the Pope's visit in 79? Or ...?

You can see the problem with wanting the culture to just stop, can't you?
    You seem incapable of understanding my point here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

the day is a celebration of Irish culture.
    I must look up the St Patrick's Day rulebook for that bit. Do you have a copy handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Isn't 17th supposedly it the day he died?
    Surely we should be having a good snakey pagan hoolie then?

Oh wait! That's what a load of do people anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

This has been the complaint about Galway parades for years. In the late 80's & 90's, after a few marching bands and a hurling club or scout group, it was just businesses driving their fleet down the road... and that was it! Dreadful stuff. Some folks used to complain that Macnas had an obligation to enter. They did do some outreach to small community village parades in the early noughties.

I have a theory that a few 'real' prizes and some fair judging might spur a bit of efford!! As someone who's done heaps of parades both as a performer and an arts facilatator, they're really hard work to make something even modest, if you want the wow factor, you gotta pay big, and I'm under the impression no company is willing to do that.

• Advertisement

I must look up the St Patrick's Day rulebook for that bit. Do you have a copy handy?
    No but if you just go outside and talk to any normal person I'm sure they can provide you with an answer, common knowledge and all. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

do you people not realise we're 5 years into a recession and maybe only now are we seeing the full destructive force it is on society. All credit to those who took part but I thought this years parade was pure crap, no real crowd enthusiasm and it was the same last year too.

I don't think most people realise it but we haven't got much to celebrating about at the moment but maybe it was completely evident in the lack of imagination or get up and go in either the spectators and subsequently the participants.

I was haunted all day at how contrasting this years parade was compared to pre 2008.

that is all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No but if you just go outside and talk to any normal person I'm sure they can provide you with an answer, common knowledge and all. Best of luck!
    And who decides who is "normal"? You by any chance?
    Like Dunphy used to say, once you remove all the nutcases and idiots, you'll find almost everybody agrees with me. :D
    Do you need luck yourself when asking people simple questions? Why am I not surprised...

And who decides who is "normal"?
    How profound. Maybe it would help if I offered some synonyms such as 'typical', 'standard', 'common', 'expected'. These aren't big words really, not sure where the confusion has arisen.
    Do you need luck yourself when asking people simple questions? Why am I not surprised...
    Depends how simple the people I'm asking are. Consider the fact you are trying to patronise me immediately after failing to grasp a simple definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

G Power wrote: »
    do you people not realise we're 5 years into a recession and maybe only now are we seeing the full destructive force it is on society. All credit to those who took part but I thought this years parade was pure crap, no real crowd enthusiasm and it was the same last year too.

I don't think most people realise it but we haven't got much to celebrating about at the moment but maybe it was completely evident in the lack of imagination or get up and go in either the spectators and subsequently the participants.

I was haunted all day at how contrasting this years parade was compared to pre 2008.

that is all

You really think that it had nothing to do with the weather on the day? I remember getting sunburnt at the parade in 2009, whereas my partner said he was wet and cold at this year's one. (I wasn't there.)

I'd say that Galway, anyway, has a lot to celebrate. Unemployement is nothing like as bad as it was in 2009, several new multi-nationals have set up offices here and others have explanded, and the multiplier effect of the wages from these companies means that lots of other businesses are benefiting.

Advertisement