Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The law is an ass!!!

• 19-03-2013 11:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Im about to go to court tomorrow with a company who i engaged for a two day job almost two years ago. The job still has not been completed and my family are in a state of major inconvenience and out of pocket.
    We are assured that this is an open and shut case...BUT..
    Apparently this company are regularly taken to court, they do not attend, defend or participate in any way, they are found against and then they simple ignore the ruling and do not pay up or make restitution. Apparently it is up to the sherriff in the area to follow this up and the office does not.
    Is this possible?
    It sounds utterly stupid but this is straight from my solicitor.
    Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What does your brief say? By that, I mean if you should win, is it worth getting the sheriffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a limit to what a sherriff can do. He enforces eviction orders, mainly, but you're not getting an eviction order. He also enforces money judgments by going to the defendant's premises, taking property belonging to the defendant and auctioning it, but as a mechanism for enforcing money judgments this is one of the least satisfactory and least effective. It's entirely possible that a company might not own much property of the type that can be seized, and what can be seized may not be the kind of thing that will fetch much at auction.

If you have an unsatisfied judgment against a company, the usual favoured enforcement method is to petition to wind up the company. That's usually effective, unless the company is actually insolvent, and the sherriff is not involved.

Advertisement