Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Ennis

• 19-03-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

My 4th g-grandfather John Ennis married Anne Gilmer in 1832 in Longwood parish. Now a search on Ancestry for Anne's possible baptisim brings up two results in the previous 30 years, one in Meath. And one in Offaly. Both around 1818-19
    While John Ennis at this time brings up 4 entries between 1800 and 1820.

Without fathers names on the marriage cert. Do I make a guess at the ones nearest to Longwood and with ages closest together ? Or do I just give up on this branch?

Would people have married someone from the far side of their county or another county altogether

Also I'm making a trip to the GRO in two weeks to verify that im correct in the entries that have got me this far

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I'd be a little careful about assumptions with early dates like this - quite a few parishes dont have records back to 1818... e.g. records for Longwood parish go back to 1829, so if Anne was baptised in the parish then there will be no written record

p.s. Ancestry have very partial coverage of RC parish records

S.

There are two entries in Co. Meath for the surname Gilmer on the Tithe records that might be worth keeping note of. Both in Clongill civil parish which appears to be north of Navan, so not that close to Longwood.

see : Gil*m*, Tithes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Thanks shanew, I know it's prob not a good idea and honestly I'm happy to have gotten this far.

I should add. Anne Gilmore from Meath was born in Ratoath. Ancestry- selections of Catholic Parish Baptisims 1742-1881 shows this records and says christening @ 1 Jan 1818 ( its a strange one).
    Not exactly close to Longwood but it had no parish at the time? Her father was Pat Gilmore and I had looked for that on the Tithes list.

Pat Gilmore Castlerickard
    http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Gilmore&firstname=Pat&county=Meath&parish=&townland=&search=Search
    Thanks again. It's funny I started this search following my fathers line but it's my mothers that has been so much easier. I've only recently found some records for my dads grandparents

There probably was a parish and church in the Longwood area before 1829, but just not any records available. At that time Catholic Churches, and parish structures etc were not very organized in rural areas - took a while after the effects of the penal laws to reorganize.

Yeah that's true. I never actually thought of that.. Need to brush up on my history

• Advertisement

just to complicate things a little! - description from Lewis (1837)

'...In the R. C. divisions the parish [Clonard civil parish] is partly in the union or district of Kinnegad, and partly the head of a union or district called Longwood, and comprising part of Clonard and the whole of Killyon, in which union are two chapels, one at Longwood, the other at Killyon; the chapel in the town of Clonard, which is a large plain edifice, belongs to the union of Kinnegad...'

so as well as Kildare parishes, it might also be worth checking the adjoining Westmeath parishes...

Just did a quick search there again and there is only one Anne Gilmer coming up between 1800 and 1820. This is the entry for Ratoath/Curragha in 1818.

Anne Gilmer
    Ratoath, Curragha Meath
    1 Jan 1818 P Gilmer Mary Nowlan

Then John Ennis brings up the following between the same years

John Ennis
    Ardcath and Clonalvy Meath
    31 Jul 1800
    Christ Ennis/ Martha Hussey

John Ennis
    Ardcath and Clonalvy Meath
    26 May 1809
    Hanes Ennis /Elinor Langan

John Ennis
    Moynalvey Meath
    23 Jun 1812
    Michael Ennis /Anne Kenedy

John Ennis
    Summerhill Meath
    Apr 1820
    Michl Ennis /Mary Roony

Joannem Ennis
    Gallen and Reynagh Offaly
    10 Jul 1812
    Joannes Ennis /Maria Dugan

So as previously said without the fathers first name and proper records it's a stop to the Ennis branch:(

Advertisement