Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-schooler sleeping issues

Options
  • 19-03-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi,
    I'm new to this but am desperate need of help. My daughter who is almost 4 has been a good enough sleeper (would get up 2 times a night for toilet) up until 2/3 weeks ago.
    She started pre-school in September and loves it, but she has been on-off sick since then with mainly colds and nasty recurring ear-infections. Anyway since her last ear infection which was pretty painful, bedtime started to get progressively worse. After her bedtime routine she would get up again 5/10 minutes later. Her excuse was the toilet. So we'd take her to the toilet and put her back to bed. As the days went on, she'd keep getting up, using the toilet as an excuse. I took her to the doctor as I thought maybe she had a UTI but that was pretty much all clear (she does have microscopic blood in her urine and this is being investigated but I have the same thing, so doc putting it down to inherited condition from me). Anyway now she refuses to be left on her own in her bedroom after her stories. We have to wait until she falls asleep. She usually wakes up 2/3 hours later crying. After numerous sleepless nights of her getting up 8/9 time at night, I ended up sleeping with her. In the midst of all this we have tried changing her bedroom. She has swapped bedrooms with her 2 year old brother. We bought her a bunk bed as she used to sleep in a double bed and we've decorated her room. Nothing has worked. One of us now usually end up sleeping on the top bunk. I have noticed that she goes on the potty at night on her own, when I'm sleeping in the room with her, but she still goes quite frequently, which is another worry. I'm not sure if this is all related to her fear of sleeping on her own. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this with their child. Is it something she'll grow out of? When we do ask her why she won't sleep on her own anymore and she says she's scared, and its not of one particular thing. She says something different everytime...

Btw My latest idea is to find a book to encourage her to sleep on her own but I can't find any. Any ideas to a good book as she does love her books! Thanks!

Advertisement