Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Zyban out of fashion?

• 19-03-2013 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

My Doc put me on these after 46 years of smoking, took one a day for 9 days and then 2 a day for the past 12 days(since my quit day).

I love the ease of breathing with no dirty filthy cough and no wheeze! I was a bad case, no cigs but 1st cigar at 7.30 each morning and yes of course I inhaled, it is a leared skill!!
    Have not smoked but defintely suffered with rather painful longing/pangs. However I reckon they are making me feel rather unwell generally, so I only took one yesterday and none so far today and definitely feel better. The pangs are no worse, maybe even easier!

I have two in my pocket just in case but if this is as bad as it gets, I can stay off them without this drug. is this why Champix appears to be much more popular on this forum?

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

You need to talk to your doctor. Zyban (bupropion) is an anti-depreeant whereas Champix (varenicline) is a nictotine receptor partial agonist, a drug that can help with nicotine withdrawal.

Never stop taking prescription meds without consulting your doctor / pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

mathepac wrote: »
    You need to talk to your doctor. Zyban (bupropion) is an anti-depreeant whereas Champix (varenicline) is a nictotine receptor partial agonist, a drug that can help with nicotine withdrawal.

Never stop taking prescription meds without consulting your doctor / pharmacist.

If anything I find their side effects rather depressing!! Perhaps that is why they decided to market it as a stop smoking treatment!
    Still interested in the Champix popularity, If it gets bad I maight go back to doc and get a script for them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had to stop taking Zyban a few years ago, it made me very physically violent so much so I had become a danger to people. I'm in no way violent normally. It was used on Vietnam soldiers for depression, that's how they figured out it stopped you smoking. I'd switch to champix.

Went on champix last year, Will be off the smokes a full year in April because of them.

The only reason I could think for your doctor to recommend Zyban is he does't really know about Champix.

Champix is not without it's side effects but there worth it. Bad dreams are nearly the worst of it but they will pass.

The pains in the chest are normal, your body's just re-adjusting, I broke out in mouth ulcers when I stopped smoking, turns out my mouth was just re-balacing after 20 years of smokes. Also chest pains, thought I had lung cancer or getting a heart attack.

12mts free next month and €3,500 + richer (well not really, you'll spend it anyway:) ) Plan a good holiday, Airports are a lot less stressful when your not wanting a smoke.

One Tip, if you ever just have the one after some beers or whatever, never ever wake up and have one again or that day, it's the way everyone fails. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Great stuff drunkmonkey. only bad sh*t could make you feel so unwell! Going to see how I get on taking nothing and will go back to doc for Champix if I feel I am starting to loose the batlle.
    Good call on the doc jnot knowing about the options, he did look up his little meds listing book!!
    My brother who was nearly as bad a smoker as me, gave up last year and he used Chanmpix without any issues. I only found out which one he used after I had bought the Zyban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had to tell the Doctor about champix, he hadn't a clue, it was 2 mates of mine who were pharmacists that pushed me to get champix after they both stopped.

I'm not saying Zyban doesn't work but it can drive you mental, you could possibly kill someone if they rub you up the wrong way or kill yourself. I got it when it was first legalized here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement