Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planting a beech tree hedge?

• 19-03-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice on planting a beech hedge.

The hedge I want to plant would be 60 yards long,

How many trees should I buy for this and any advice on planting would be
    appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

pump wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping for some advice on planting a beech hedge.

The hedge I want to plant would be 60 yards long,

How many trees should I buy for this and any advice on planting would be
    appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    3 per meter , straight line .
    Do a search here; plenty advise on beech

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

I built a beech hedge, 3 per metre. A bit of advice, if you are susceptible to rabbits on your property then make sure you enclose the hedging. I couldn't figure out why mine wasn't taking off but when I looked closely I saw that rabbits were eating it. They love beech. Had to replant the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

take it from someone who's been here before DO NOT plant a beech hedge if your land is wet and poorly drained...
    it will leterally go nowhere and die! :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Around 3-4 per meter and plant in a staggered line pattern.

Is that a recent pic Paddy? are leaves out already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

kormak wrote: »
    take it from someone who's been here before DO NOT plant a beech hedge if your land is wet and poorly drained...
    it will leterally go nowhere and die! :-(

Uh oh.:eek:

Is that a recent pic Paddy? are leaves out already?

No,not yet.

Pic is from 2 year ago......planted 1st weekend of May.Pruned back and maintained since.

2 year later on......4.5 feet tall thick/full hedge.

Oh and its not beech...its hornbeam.:)

Hornbeam?

Hornbeam?

Yes indeed....not as common a sight in urban gardens as beech is.......and we also really like the Hornbeam too,as its a bit hardier..:)

Have all sorts of plants and flowers mixed in aswell.
    Birch trees,baux balls,black and green grasses and large holly ball trees too.And alot of our various bulbs are starting to pop up and flower now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Beech Hedge and very minor landscaping done by the builders that built my house. Beech pretty much all died, and the ones that did live just dont grow. Its a great hedge, but hates wet feet, my garden is just too wet. Hornbeam on the other hand is native and looks like beech in the summer, but doesnt it lose far more leaves in the winter and can look very bare?

• Advertisement

Beech Hedge and very minor landscaping done by the builders that built my house. Beech pretty much all died, and the ones that did live just dont grow. Its a great hedge, but hates wet feet, my garden is just too wet. Hornbeam on the other hand is native and looks like beech in the summer, but doesnt it lose far more leaves in the winter and can look very bare?

Yes it does loose a bit more leaves in wintertime,but it leafs up faster than beech come spring time.:)

Its hardier too.

If your builder is anything like ours..then theres probably tons of sand,cement,rubble and general building shyte burried into the ground and then covered over with a scattering of shyte soil.:(:rolleyes:

My missus spent days digging it all out,and then prepping the grounds with new topsoil,manure,compost and grit,before she built/planted the gardens..

Paddy - Is your Missus free for a few days work in my place?

Paddy - Is your Missus free for a few days work in my place?

Shes up to eyes with work at the moment.So many plants to plant up.

Then she has to put up with me too.:pac::D

paddy147 wrote: »
    If your builder is anything like mine..then theres probably tons of sand,cement,rubble and general building shyte burried into the ground and then covered over with a scattering of shyte soil.:(:rolleyes:

Umm cant even drive a fork into the front garden its that compact. Its a disaster. The grass wont grow unless I give it a smattering of 18-6-12 every few months :rolleyes:

Umm cant even drive a fork into the front garden its that compact. Its a disaster. The grass wont grow unless I give it a smattering of 18-6-12 every few months :rolleyes:

Yikes.:(

Maybe a good reason and excuse to start afresh,dig it all up start over from scratch??:)

I know, its in the ever growing list!!

Advertisement