Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish FGC Twitter Account

Options
  • 19-03-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

In the last few weeks/months I've gotten more into twitter simply because a lot of the EU and US FGCs use it as their primary form of informal communication. The Brits in particular discuss a lot of stuff to do with games on twitter. Its also an incredibly useful promo tool, I sent one tweet about Doom and Dreddy being on the stream and it got retweeted by Chrome, WGE and WhiteBl4ck and a few others, meaning about 1500 people saw it. I think its pretty essential we have a twitter presence so I wanted to gauge people's views on it. It would be good to have an official twitter to promote the Youtube and Twitch channels, tweet pictures from events and build a profile, among other things. Obviously i'm happy to set up and help run the feed and give the login details to a few senior people in the FGC so they can post their content and stuff too. Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

https://twitter.com/teamdoomy

There's one already established specifically for DooM's channel but it needs to be run by someone/people who have time etc. to put the effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

There's also a randomselect one floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

very same argument about website.....?

idea's ain't the problem imho. It is the responsible person to manages it. Our 'video channel' is up to date, visited, popular and promoted because Brian does it. Twatter, website etc etc would also require this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Personally I like the idea of an overall Irish FGC twitter account.

As far as I can see Aileen is offering to run it, so there's no real downside. If other people wanted to help, that'd be cool too.

The RS one should lie dormant until such time/ if ever someone wants to get RS.IE back to shape. It isn't going to be me, I know that much, and I appreciate how much time running a site takes so I am not going to blame people for not wanting to.

As for the team doomy twitter- who actually considers themselves a part of "team doomy"? I know it was a little more in the past, to the point were people would occasionally put TD before their names at tournaments, but to me now it's mainly a thing I say for a laugh and a good visual for the streams. I don't see that twitter acc coming back to life in a major way unless some people delibrately form some form of Irish union of content providers and THEN decided Team Doomy is the best name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The RS one should lie dormant until such time/ if ever someone wants to get RS.IE back to shape. It isn't going to be me, I know that much, and I appreciate how much time running a site takes so I am not going to blame people for not wanting to.

Why not just rebrand the @RandomSelect_IE account.
    RS.IE is going take a lot of sustained effort to work so no need to have a dedicted twitter handle

@RandomSelect_IE has a following of approx 200 already so why not use that rather than building from the ground up. The first 150 followes are usually the harderst to gain. If someone was tweeting regularly it's easy to grow that 200

The username and @handle are both easily changed from their current formats to whatever suits.
    Also the autopost from the RS.ie facebook page needs to be removed too, I can do that as well.

I can send on details to whomever wants to take up the reigns and give a bit of advice on Twitter, (Not that I'm an expert...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Personally I like the idea of an overall Irish FGC twitter account.

As far as I can see Aileen is offering to run it, so there's no real downside. If other people wanted to help, that'd be cool too.

I'm totally fine with this. The beauty of twitter is that it doesn't take a whole lot of effort or time to run a good twitter feed, especially when I can do it from my phone 24/7 anywhere.

If people want to revive the other feeds now or at a later point there's no reason why they can't operate alongside an overall Irish FGC account, WSO has its own account for example, while the new UK FGC twitter acts as a central point for directing people to various links and events, and one of its main functions is to retweet posts of particular importance from other FGC feeds and community members. Thats mostly what I had in mind for the Irish one, its not so much content creation as links to content others have made, such as the youtube channel. But the first place a lot of major FGC members look at for news is their twitter feed.

Also rebooting the @RandomSelect_IE feed is probably a better plan than starting afresh, its already got a good following which makes it look better to potential new followers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I'm totally fine with this....

....rebooting the @RandomSelect_IE feed is probably a better plan than starting afresh, its already got a good following which makes it look better to potential new followers

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I have always said that Twitter is the thing that we need to utilise to get our scene more out there. I wouldn't have come across most of the FGC stuff I know now if it wasn't for it. I am on Twitter the whole time anyway so I would be more than happy to help out with whatever it is you intend to do whether it be @RandomSelect_IE or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Aileen has the details now and is going to reboot the @RandomSelect_IE account.
    I'm sure she'll be in touch looking for feedback on the look and feel of it as well as a rename of the handle.

Advertisement