Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canicross

• 19-03-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Do many of you do this?

Are any of you interested in giving it a shot?

I just signed up to do a 5k run in April, I'll be "running" with Phoe, while K will be running with Harley. A friend is dong it with her mal and we have some other people who are intersted. It is a normal race, but they are very kindly allowing us to run with dogs (we will set out either before or after the human runners).

I am a complete and utter beginner and starting to train today. So if you've ever thought about it but didn't go for it, now is your chance to do it with a complete novice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Whispered wrote: »
    Do many of you do this?

I just signed up to do a 5k run in April, I'll be "running" with Phoe, while K will be running with Harley. A friend is dong it with her mal and we have some other people who are intersted. It is a normal race, but they are very kindly allowing us to run with dogs (we will set out either before or after the human runners).

I am a complete and utter beginner and starting to train today. So if you've ever thought about it but didn't go for it, now is your chance to do it with a complete novice.

Sounds fantastic but I would probably collapse after 5 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Knine wrote: »
    Sounds fantastic but I would probably collapse after 5 minutes!

Excuses excuses! You won't find a less fit pair than Phoe and I. I have a video somewhere of us trying to run up a hill. It was so bad my husband recorded it. :o That's why we're starting to train.

Don't let the idea of not being fit enough put you off. You have a month to get there and it's only 5k. If you have to jog/walk then that's perfect too. It's a fun type of thing rather than serious runners. (I checked before signing up!! :pac:)

EDIT: Here is a page http://www.facebook.com/DogsKildare?ref=hl if anyone wants to ask questions, discuss signing up or generally take the mick out of us for even trying it :) (We also occasionally organise walks with our dogs on it, no running required!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Excuses excuses! You won't find a less fit pair than Phoe and I. I have a video somewhere of us trying to run up a hill. It was so bad my husband recorded it. :o That's why we're starting to train.

Don't let the idea of not being fit enough put you off. You have a month to get there and it's only 5k. If you have to jog/walk then that's perfect too. It's a fun type of thing rather than serious runners. (I checked before signing up!! :pac:)

I could certainly do with getting fit thats for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Do many of you do this?

I would LOVE to do this with my dog, whereabouts is the race H?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Shinsplints. That is all. :P ;)

• Advertisement

I would LOVE to do this with my dog, whereabouts is the race H?

The race is in Tymon Park Dublin. It's organised by Urban trails.

There are a few rules regarding running with your dog which I hope people stick to, so we will be allowed to partake again. If you're planning to run with a dog, you have to put in "canicross" as your club so that you can be given the correct info on when you'll start etc. Hopefully people and dogs won't just turn up though, and will get in touch first so the organisers will have a good idea of how many to expect. It would be nice to have a chat before the race too. I'm hoping to see some some smaller breeds and not just loads of northern breeds and me with my little fat staffy!!

So if you're planning to run with a dog, please get in touch here. You will find everything you need to know, and a great place to ask questions etc. Very friendly bunch of people!

If you don't use facebook and are interested ask away here, if I can answer I will, if not I'll pass the question on. I'm not an organiser, just an enthusiastic newbie looking for other newbies for a bit of "crap I'm after registering for a race" support! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wonder can I do canicross with a cat... Kittycross!:D

As long as you can keep ahead of me and a husky, I'd be more than happy, we'd fly around :D

All joking apart, well done Whispered, its a great sport, and is huge on the continent, would be great to see it becoming more and more accepted here, and more races allowing canicrossers to enter. The European championships were held in England last season, and theres no reason why they couldn't be held here in a few years time.

I did start running, but my shinsplints started playing up, but apparently all I need is the correct pair of runners and I can get over that, so maybe I will take it up again. Its a great way to get out there and have exercise with your dog.

Hopefully it will become very popular- I can't see a problem if people enjoy it and are respectful when out with their dogs. I reckon it might be good for dog owners in general. It's an accessible sport, suitable for everybody, it doesn't cost anything to start and once you're up and running it's up to you to choose how much or little equipment you have. I found that it really fosters team work. I was delighted when I realised how quickly my boys took to it and how they want to pull pull pull! They really took to their new "job".

I know someone who can tell her dog to go left or right, slow down, speed up, go behind (for big hills) etc. We're only at the stage where they will run ahead if we ask. I can see myself landing on my face when doing it properly :D

How much fun does this look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ISDW wrote: »
    Shinsplints. That is all. :P ;)

Ouch :) it's my old woman knees that are letting me down at the minute :( though I still manage a few miles here and there.

I do canicross with my dog but haven't been in any races. There have been some regular road races in the west that have allowed dogs too but I haven't taken that leap. My dog isn't great at running in a straight line and frequently trips me up so may be a bit of a hazard for others:rolleyes:. Maybe if there were other dogs for her to follow she'd focus better.

Maybe worth mentioning whether it needs to be proper canicross harness, bungee etc for this particular race or can people just run with regular lead?
    This one is too far away for me unfortunately :(

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    I do canicross with my dog but haven't been in any races. There have been some regular road races in the west that have allowed dogs too but I haven't taken that leap. My dog isn't great at running in a straight line and frequently trips me up so may be a bit of a hazard for others:rolleyes:. Maybe if there were other dogs for her to follow she'd focus better.

Maybe worth mentioning whether it needs to be proper canicross harness, bungee etc for this particular race or can people just run with regular lead?

Oh now you're making me nervous LB, it's not really a huge leap is it :eek: ah god I never even thought about tripping over my dog. haha, you've given me a whole new set of worries.

You're right about mentioning equipment, sorry I didn't think of it earlier. A back connection harness, rather than a collar has to be used to avoid injury. Other than that, while a belt and ropes would be recommended, they're not required. The race really would suit people who are considering getting involved in canicross, so it's to be expected people might not have all the gear. I'm not sure if we'll have everything.

Don't forget things like poo bags, water, name tags and a towel in case we get mucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I am a complete and utter beginner and starting to train today.

Good on you- the hardest bit of running is starting- once you get out there and run you are officially a runner!

I did start running, but my shinsplints started playing up, but apparently all I need is the correct pair of runners and I can get over that, so maybe I will take it up again. Its a great way to get out there and have exercise with your dog.
    Yes correct runners and a dose of HTFU:p Go on mushing season is near over and you know its the right thing to do!
    Thanks LB;)
    Oh now you're making me nervous LB, it's not really a huge leap is it :eek: ah god I never even thought about tripping over my dog. haha, you've given me a whole new set of worries.

No you won't trip over your dog- don't worry you'll be fine and soon addicted!

Oh now you're making me nervous LB, it's not really a huge leap is it :eek: ah god I never even thought about tripping over my dog. haha, you've given me a whole new set of worries.!

sorry :o but don't worry about it, its just my crazy terrier that wants to run in all directions at once that adds a different element to it ! Downhill dog hurdling is particularly good fun not to mention the super sprint speeds we reach when ducks are involved :D
    You'll be fine and you'll love it ;)

Off topic but I have done cani-swimming :D Great fun!

sorry :o but don't worry about it, its just my crazy terrier that wants to run in all directions at once that adds a different element to it ! Downhill dog hurdling is particularly good fun not to mention the super sprint speeds we reach when ducks are involed :D
    You'll be fine and you'll love it ;)
    haha sounds like you take your life in your hands regularly!!
    Off topic but I have done cani-swimming :D Great fun!

How does that work?

How does that work?

*not a real sport*

Into the water with dog (still with harness and lead as she doesn't get let off lead), dog sees seagulls and swims as hard as she can to get to them pulling me after her :eek::eek:

*not a real sport*

Into the water with dog (still with harness and lead as she doesn't get let off lead), dog sees seagulls and swims as hard as she can to get to them pulling me after her :eek::eek:

Funnily enough ;)

I was at a trek in England in December and a woman was trying to organise a triathlon for April, must check and see how she got on.

One leg would be bikejoring or scootering, next leg would be canicross, then she had a lake that was suitable for swimming with dogs, was looking at about 200metre swim I think. :D

Funnily enough ;)

I was at a trek in England in December and a woman was trying to organise a triathlon for April, must check and see how she got on.

One leg would be bikejoring or scootering, next leg would be canicross, then she had a lake that was suitable for swimming with dogs, was looking at about 200metre swim I think. :D

that's brilliant :D Do they accept teams? If you do the bike we could do the run and swim:pac: though I would probably need a seagull on a stick to keep us moving in the right direction.

Advertisement