Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights with regards cancelling online orders

Options
  • 19-03-2013 1:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I ordered something online on Friday evening. I got an email back telling me that it would be dispatched on Tuesday (due to the bank holiday weekend).

Over the weekend, I realized what I ordered was not actually what I wanted at all, so sent off emails asking for the order to be cancelled.

I worry I've not got any message back now though, and worry it will be shipped despite my requests for a cancellation. What rights have I here? Am I ok asking for the order to be cancelled? I've ordered with other sites before who, provided you ask before anything is shipped, will refund in full pretty quickly. What happens if it arrives? Am I going to be able to get a refund? Am I going to be stuck with courier costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Your statutory consumer rights allow you a 7 day cooling off period starting on receipt of the goods. You can cancel at any time during this period but you can be liable for costs in shipping the goods safely to the retailer (some retailers may waive this).

Your sales contract should state if/how cancellations before shipping can be made, otherwise there is no automatic right afaik, other than the cooling off period.

Your consumer rights on distance selling only apply to retailers within the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

Advertisement