Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in Ireland

• 19-03-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

First post! I've found my way to this forum as I research a holiday to Ireland. I'm a 21 y/o male from Australia, looking to go on a bit of an adventure through the country. I'm not much of a drinker or a clubbing type of guy and would much rather camp/walk through the country/small villages.

I'm clueless about where to start, but was hoping some of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Is it legal to camp out in the country, or only in camping grounds?
    Is it safe to travel alone?
    Does the south or the north have better landscape/walking trails?
    Which city would be the best to start in?

Hoping to learn as much as possible before locking in the dates :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Hey guys,

First post! I've found my way to this forum as I research a holiday to Ireland. I'm a 21 y/o male from Australia, looking to go on a bit of an adventure through the country. I'm not much of a drinker or a clubbing type of guy and would much rather camp/walk through the country/small villages.

I'm clueless about where to start, but was hoping some of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Is it legal to camp out in the country, or only in camping grounds?
    Is it safe to travel alone?
    Does the south or the north have better landscape/walking trails?
    Which city would be the best to start in?

Hoping to learn as much as possible before locking in the dates :P

Thanks!

1) I'm not sure but trespassing can be quite sensitive in Ireland, especially in rural areas where farmers are conscious of any suspicious activity on privately owned land. It's not like the states where you get shot on sight (plus it's illegal), but it's not unheard of for farmers to do anything to protect themselves and their lands. I'd head for camp sites.

2) Certainly. I'd stay clear of certain suburbs of Dublin though, it's like every capital city and has it's bad spots. Some particularly worse than others.

3) Forget North/South. Just head west. Kerry/Clare/Galway has some of the best scenery in the country. Although I would recommend Glendalough in Co.Wicklow (about an hour drive south from Dublin, not sure how accessible it is from public transport though.). I can only really think of the Giants Causeway in Co. Antrim in Northern Ireland that may satisfy you up there.

4) I'd start in Dublin and head south to Glendalough if I was you. Then perhaps head west from there into Kerry, then North to Clare and the Cliffs of Moher. Try to catch Galway if you go during the Volvo ocean race in mid summer.

Hope you have fun :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SARAHCA

I'd definitely agree with hitting the west of Ireland. The Giant's Causeway is pretty spectacular though. I've always wondered what it would be like to see Ireland as a tourist. Sadly, as I'm from here I'll never experience that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IMustBeAussie

Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll get a map and try and plan our a rough route. I'll post back when I've got a better idea and you guys can tell me if I'm dreaming or if I've actually come up with something worth while!

Advertisement