Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pressure treated garden arch question

• 19-03-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Please don't slate me if you think this is a silly question!

I want to buy an wooden arch for my garden. Budget isn't too extravagant and I have a lot of things I want to do in the garden this year. There are two in a local gardencentre. One is pressure treated and the other isn't. The non pressure treated one is much cheaper.

My question is, if I bought the cheaper one and painted it with some of the fence life or equivalent paint, would it work. Is non pressure treated wood a waste of money??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I wouldn't bother. Ideally save and buy a decent steel frame arch, shouldn't cost much more than the PT arch which will eventually succumb to weather and climbering plants.

The non PT option will be a complete waste of money and painting with a wood protector will make little difference.

The real value is to buy an arch which will last a very long time. Invest in quality not 'bargains'.The last thing you want to be doing is risk damaging a well established climber in 3 years because the arch is disintegrating and needs replacing!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks sb. If its not again rules here, can you recommend where I might get the steel ones you mention.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Much will depend on what style, span and size you prefer and also what climbers you wish to support.

For example, there is no point in fabricating an ornate arch if it is to be extensively draped with climbing plants. In such cases build a sturdy framework using scaffolding poles and secure in concrete in the ground. This will last a lifetime and will be capable of supporting the biggest and most vigorous plants eg Wisteria.

On the otherhand, if your preference is for something more ornate or petit for say summer flowering jasmine or a climbing rose, I would recommend you get something made by the local service provider offering wrought iron gate/railings services. Something more sturdy, contact the local driveway gate maker.

If you're stuck you can build a lattice framework quite easily with TV/Clothes line poles and strapping metal re-inforcing mesh to each pole. A bit crude, but once covered no one will notice.

Advertisement