Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mam with Dementia moving to Dublin

Options
  • 19-03-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

My mother had to move up to Dublin with us as she was forgetting meds and was at risk. She is happy living with us but is constantly thinking that she will be moving back to her house and believes she is a burden on us which she isn't at all. She was always a very independant woman and apart from forgetting her meds is fine with everything else. I think she feels a bit trapped in another house/county also that she misses her day care centre in her old town. I have her on a list for a day centre in Dublin and I try and involve her in helping me with cooking and cleaning and walking the dog. Is there anything else I could be doing to help her adapt to her new location?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'm in a similar boat, but I feel a sense of independence is very important. I know it effects everybody differently but I would be concerned that it's an awful upset to her simply because she's forgetting to take her medication. Couldn't you just remind her over the phone? Make sure she takes them there and then. Or get a reminder alarm for the medication (see link).

http://www.pivotell.co.uk/Medication_Dispensers_and_Accessories.htm

It's likely she'll need increase support as she progresses. But a move can also be stressful and disorienting. We had an occupational therapist visit and made a few changes to the house to make it a little safer. Explain the situation to her friends and neighbours, get someone to keep a key incase she locks herself out etc.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=107

You may or may not know but there are some support groups in Dublin who hold regular meetings etc. Send me a PM I'll pass on some contacts if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks she is here a week now and is settling in bar the odd 2when am I going back?" I calmly sit her down and explain the situation to her make her a cup of tea and she is fine again. Reminding her over the phone wasnt an option unfortunately a home help from hse used to come in and get her to take her tabs but one day she noticed Mam didnt renew them, and another day she had double dosed naturally enough she had to report this. The Dr, Nurse and all involved rang me of there concern we arranged a family meeting in the hospital the next day. I got down as soon I could to arrange something and we came to the conclusion Mam was better living with us as the Social Worker felt she needed 24/7 care she might forget to turn off electric hob when on the phone, or forget to turn off heaters it was too much of a risk and I would never forgive myself if something happened at least here I have peace of mind and one of us can take turns to watch her whilst giving her independance. We bring her on day trip and visits to restaurants,hairdresser etc also I have arranged for a bus to collect her twice a week at a local social club and she has her name on a waiting list for another specific Dementia day care centre. I hope she will get to like it here she enjoys the security and the company of us as she used to get lonely in the house by herself. We will also pop down to her old place every couple of weeks to meets her friends they all know and understand the situation and pressure I was under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I understand. The balance between security and independence. We're lucky enough to have people close by most of the time. We've got the EPO sorted out and we're just taking things as the come.

The altzheimers cafe http://www.alzheimercafe.ie/ seems to be very good. My old man gets a lot out of it, I
    it's been a great point of contact.. It's an opportunity for people with dementia to discuss their condition with others in a similar position as well as medical pros and carers. They run talks every month.

Advertisement