Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Ball cock in cold water tank

• 19-03-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

A question for all you plumbing fans.
    I have to replace the ball cock in the cold water tank. I was going to tackle this myself as it appears to be a simple enough job but am I under-thinking the risks?
    I was going to kill the water supply, drain the tank somewhat, remove old ball cock, reseal threading and tighten new ball cock in place. Turn on water. Have speedo's ready.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Very easy job to do, you should be fine...pretty much as you described it.
    Turning the water off is sometimes the biggest pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    A question for all you plumbing fans.
    I have to replace the ball cock in the cold water tank. I was going to tackle this myself as it appears to be a simple enough job but am I under-thinking the risks?
    I was going to kill the water supply, drain the tank somewhat, remove old ball cock, reseal threading and tighten new ball cock in place. Turn on water. Have speedo's ready.

Am I mad?
    Don't "reseal" threading as in dont put ptfe tape on the threads. You reseal the brass ring on the pipe going into the ballcock

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

That would make more sense alright. Made the change before reading this. Ball cock went in fine. Nice sense of satisfaction but now have a tiny bit of seepage. Wonder if that's the reason. Will try that tomorrow DTP 79. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Don't "reseal" threading as in dont put ptfe tape on the threads. You reseal the brass ring on the pipe going into the ballcock

DTP - That worked a treat. Had initial seepage, but put the tape on the olive as well and that seemed to work.

Cheers for the help guys.

Advertisement