Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle account switch.

Options
  • 19-03-2013 3:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Amazon are offering to change Kindle accounts from the US/International .com to the UK .co.uk, based on
    " to inform you that you may now shop for digital content at Amazon.co.uk in pounds (GBP) and use your Amazon.co.uk 1-Click payment method to make purchases." from their site.

A catch seems to be that subscriptions are reset, with no guarantee that the same subscriptions from the .co.uk are available.
    I'm wondering has anyone done this and does being in Ireland effect it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Where's this on the Amazon site, Manach? I had a quick look but only saw this for UK residents

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200504740

Edit: Sorry, ignore. I see there when I sign in that they seem to be including Ireland under UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

CeannRua wrote: »
    Where's this on the Amazon site, Manach? I had a quick look but only saw this for UK residents
    This was an onscreen message when I accessed the Amazon.com today. I didn't see that link, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Manach wrote: »
    This was an onscreen message when I accessed the Amazon.com today. I didn't see that link, thanks.

Brilliant! About time too, completely illogical that Irish customers had to purchase from .com site.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've made the switch and bought a few titles. No issues so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I don't know if it's just a perception thing, but it seemed to me when I browsed amazon.co.uk without being logged in, that the prices of the kindle books that I was interested in were often cheaper than when I browsed on amazon.com. I couldn't see the prices when I was logged in.

But under the new regime, it seems to me that every time I cross check between the two sites that the price is identical – after allowing for switching between dollars and sterling. That doesn't seem to change whether I'm logged in or not.

That seems to suggest that either Amazon have synchronised their prices for kindle books across various sites, or they've got better at recognising the location of a particular computer, and show the prices for that location, whether the user is logged in or not.

I reckon it could be the latter – because the price I see in sterling is the price that I pay. There’s no adjustment for VAT, but Amazon is registered for Irish VAT. It’s not easy to tell, because I can’t generate a VAT invoice from my most recent set of purchases from amazon.co.uk.

Maybe I should just head over to conspiracy theories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Hi - I've just switched my account too, as i thought it would be easier to find stuff i want on the .co.uk site - my Wishlist though, hasn't transferred - anyone know how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

I want to make the switch but have 45 usd voucher to use so it looks like I'll have to stay on the .com site.

Good news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah I switched my account and have been downloading free apps and games. I'm now happy that the majority of my icons on the carousel are now the proper resolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

I see the option to switch but am not aware of any advantage in doing so.

The 'learn more' link on the amazon US site doesn't suggest any obvious benefits.

I did a quick search on the web for switching to the UK store and apart from this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200504740, which seems to suggest I need to be a UK resident, the rest were 2 or 3 years old.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefit of switching to a uk account?

dubred wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefit of switching to a uk account?

The exchange rate will vary over time. You may get a good deal on the Kindle Daily Deal and I'd imagine there are books of Irish interest that may not be available on the .com site.

For me, I find it a bit of a nuisance to switch between sites to buy books.

• Advertisement

The only advantage I have seen is that we can now buy kindles and kindle fires with free delivery.

nompere wrote: »
    The only advantage I have seen is that we can now buy kindles and kindle fires with free delivery.
    We also have access to some titles that we didn't before and we get the UK bargains which we also didn't get.

ixoy wrote: »
    We also have access to some titles that we didn't before and we get the UK bargains which we also didn't get.

I'm not convinced. Any book I look at on Amazon.co.uk I can also find on Amazon.com.

Today's daily deal - available for another 70 minutes - is £1.39 on Amazon.co.uk. It's $2.11 on Amazon.com. Using .85 as a sterling/euro exchange rate, and 1.30 for dollar/euro, £1.39 becomes $2.125. That's the same price on both sites.

I'm not convinced. Any book I look at on Amazon.co.uk I can also find on Amazon.com.

Today's daily deal - available for another 70 minutes - is £1.39 on Amazon.co.uk. It's $2.11 on Amazon.com. Using .85 as a sterling/euro exchange rate, and 1.30 for dollar/euro, £1.39 becomes $2.125. That's the same price on both sites.

Well, check it every day for a week. I know that when I got Bad Science, it was full price on the US site. If you're not convinced, stick with .com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

You still can't buy fires from the UK site using an Irish address. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

If you switch, do you lose books you have already bought/downloaded?

What about your opurchase history / any reviews you might have given for past purchased books?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

D-FENS wrote: »
    If you switch, do you lose books you have already bought/downloaded?
    No
    What about your opurchase history /
    No
    any reviews you might have given for past purchased books?
    Dunno, but I doubt it.

What the heck? I'm suddenly no longer able to buy books from the UK store. Anyone else having this problem?

What the heck? I'm suddenly no longer able to buy books from the UK store. Anyone else having this problem?

No - I bought two this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

I have this problem started Wednesday went to purchase "The Soldier's War: The Great War Through Veterans' Eyes" for £1.49 Amazon told me it was not available to non UK customers although my account is with Amazon.co.uk although country is Ireland. Contacted Amazon to resolve problem. Finally after a number of hours (yes hours) and communicating with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk suggested I put UK in my address not Ireland this did not work I suggested my parcel motel address in Belfast and it worked. I finally downloaded the book at that price.
    However today I received an email from Amazon.co.uk asking to fax details such as a passport showing my Uk address so it can be verified! The reason given.
    "Due to publishing rights, the home country registered to your account must match your country of residence." Does not make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

I've an amazon.com (country Ireland) account and amazon.co.uk (country unknown but presumably UK). I also have a kindle currently registered with amazon.com but I can see my kindle downloads on both amazon sites. I just started a PRIME trial on co.uk but I cannot see the Kindle Library on co.uk nor on .com (I'm not aPRIME subscriber on .com site). I have Irish and UK delivery addresses and debit cards registered on co.uk site.
    If I take amazon.com suggestion and transfer my account to co.uk will I be able to switch back if I wish later ? Amazon.com suggests as someone from 'Ireland' I can choose either .com or co.uk but Amazon.co.uk suggests no choices.
    I am also unclear what Amazon.com means by switching, does it mean switching to the co.uk account I already have or setting up a new co.uk account ?

Advertisement