Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish International - Annual event

Options
  • 19-03-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

First off, ideas for the name are welcome!! I am useless at that sort of thing.

What I want to do, if at all possible, is to host an annual Irish event, establish it on the EVO circuit and try to attract players from around Europe to it - No mean feat, but I think we can do it. The idea here is that it would replace the EVO Qualifier. Scotland has Hypespotting, Amsterdam has Red fight district, SVB London, dream haak Scandinavia etc etc. We need a fighting Irish one here imho. I am going to start looking into arrangements for possible sponsorship now but I am opening up the floor to constructive ideas/thoughts.

We (Myself and Aileen) are thinking later in year but not too late, maybe Septemberish. Your input here is appreciated as we're am not up to speed with all the cons or other international events are on. We'd want this to not clash with other events but we think we need to pick a date and sick to it for each year.....within reason. This would hopefully lead to a situation where that time of year is the Irish event on the FG calendar in Europe. I'll be connecting in with some of the English lads we met at WGC -some of whom have already said they'd come if it came to be. Anyway, floors open.
    Aj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

A catchy name is required for such a thing.

The "Give-Nutrient-Yo-Money-athon."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Put TTT2 up for that guy who wants to 50 euro FT10 MM at Cannes, make sure there's a PS3 as well >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Email Kurama for advice would be my advice.

I'll help any way I can, but given current life/family status it may not be much.

If I manage to get a decent laptop (and maybe a couple of mics) before then, I'd be happy to sort out an extra recorded setup if people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

This is what the Irish scene needs one major tourney that puts us more out there on the international level. The only thing is if you intend to eventually get it on the Evo circuit you will need to run it between Jan and June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Email Kurama for advice would be my advice.

I'll help any way I can, but given current life/family status it may not be much.
    Way ahead of ya.

Others too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Evo takes place usually around July right? The US majors are based around Jan - June with the odd international quals thrown around those times too.

If you wanna get in on the EVO circuit I would try and arrange it on the first 6 months of the year too, or even better you could potentially try a November show and make it one of the "season starters". That would be a nice little niche, AND if you eventually get a seed spot for EVO, then it might be seen as an an early back door into EVO.

Of course baby steps before big ones, but isn't it fun to think big? ;D

My 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Great idea! :D. I would wholeheartedly support anything to do with this. It'll be a bit of a haul for me coming from Donegal but I have no problem providing a console, and laptop for recording. The only thing missing from my kit is a video capture device but I'm intent on getting a HDPVR2 so once I get that, recording should hopefully be no problem. Only thing I couldn't provide is a monitor. It's not the case of I don't have one but more the fact of the difficulty in transporting it. If I can arrange with my brother to drive down, providing a monitor should be fine.

Anyway, this would be an excellent way to promote the scene. My only request in providing all the kit is to have a VF5FS side tournament on the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I really don't understand the obsession with Evo, can we not just have a big tournament for our own sake? I don't see Evo points or whatever making much of a difference to attendance since our actual Evo qualifier didn't exactly get a ton of foreign players over any year we've run it.

None of the major European tournaments our players travel to (afaik) are really Evo season events, we travel to them because they're good tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Firstly, an idea for the name of such an event - Elemental Clash ( Because Dublin has / had Inferno, Limerick had Galaical leagues and Cork has Tempest, so basically the name should have something to do with the elements meeting or clashing, so to speak. )

Also, Evo is not the end all and be all of everything either, so I agree with Dreddy in that regard. If you want to go that direction anyway, you should always do an event first before going after Evo seeding. Walk before you run, after all.

Can't think of much else, really. Just make sure you have a good selection of games, a good venue and charge a reasonable price. Oh, come to think of it, have deals for people who wish to enter several games.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I really don't understand the obsession with Evo, can we not just have a big tournament for our own sake? I don't see Evo points or whatever making much of a difference to attendance since our actual Evo qualifier didn't exactly get a ton of foreign players over any year we've run it.

None of the major European tournaments our players travel to (afaik) are really Evo season events, we travel to them because they're good tournaments.

Not an obsession really but if possible, why not? Main thing for me would be to just get something running annually, in a feasible way and try to make it an event people travel to. EVO points might be one way of doing this. There are others and we'll be exploring anything that will work within reason. Also, the reasons we generally travel is to promote ourselves as well as play against the best obviously. The reasons for getting a foreign player over here are possibly different?

As for Jan to June, we have to be realistic. I am open to correction here but as I understand it, the other European tournaments are on during these times. We feel that if we have it during that time, it will make it harder to establish it as an event people will travel to from abroad.

I do like the idea of November and the hook of the first EVO event thingy but I have 3 concerns. 1) The EVO connection is not likely to happen in its first year, 2) Weather is sh1te in Nov and Summerish would be better feel for the event for people traveling (just an idea) and 3) Nov is mid term / just before xmas and this could limit our potential pool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm kinda with Dreddy on this, if anything trying to work Evo into our prizes has been a negative at times and put undue pressure on people (both working the event and in cost to attend).

I'd definitely like to see a big event where the primary function is not simply sending someone away at a potential large cost. Getting others to come here for whatever reason, I think, would be a good primary goal.

Actually the best primary goal would be for the local players to have a big fun blow out!

I'm kinda with Dreddy on this, if anything trying to work Evo into our prizes has been a negative at times and put undue pressure on people (both working the event and in cost to attend).

I'd definitely like to see a big event where the primary function is not simply sending someone away at a potential large cost. Getting others to come here for whatever reason, I think, would be a good primary goal.

Actually the best primary goal would be for the local players to have a big fun blow out!

Thinking too small imho.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Thinking too small imho.

I bet you in the first evo tournaments the goal was never to be a feeder for another tournament, the goal was to be THE tournament.

I bet you in the first evo tournaments the goal was never to be a feeder for another tournament, the goal was to be THE tournament.

True. Neither is this proposal.
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    Main thing for me would be to just get something running annually, in a feasible way and try to make it an event people travel to. EVO points might be one way of doing this. There are others and we'll be exploring anything that will work within reason. Also, the reasons we generally travel is to promote ourselves as well as play against the best obviously. The reasons for getting a foreign player over here are possibly different?

Also, if we want to compare cars with grapes, then I suppose we can but there are un-ignorable (its a word!) differences between situations to apply such an analogy. We are on a small island, little or no resources, fragmented gaming scene........ the list goes on

Being an EVO event, or however one would say it, will attract foreign talent from all over Europe imho.

A Cash prize tournament would probably attract some English players, or so they tell me.

I am merely trying to find a balance for the event that will work. Previous tournaments had varying degree's of success and we learned a lot but what I am proposing here is not a repeat of what we have done. I have little interest in trying to do that......again. The idea here is to do something bigger, better, stronger etc and what the best way to do that is. EVO points would get us on the map internationally. As would WGC points - which could also be a possibility. This is at concept stage but regressing to a 'lets just do what we did' and hope will NEVER work for the proposed purpose.

We want a once a year event that attracts interest and grows our scene as much as possible? There a enough local events run by the dedicated few. Making a bigger one isn't really what we are talking about. I hardly think affiliation with EVO would harm the identity of our national event.

Anyway, we are getting way ahead of ourselves, the likelihood of EVO affiliation this year is virtually nil so the argument is moot. Something for the future possibly?! For now, we need to focus on what event we are doing. How many games, team events?, venue, promotion, financing, sponsorship, affiliations if we can get them, reaching out to our international players that we do know and inviting them over.

First and foremost. What's the name? All other things are secondary :cool:

You'll probably have to have "Ireland" or "Irish" in the name somewhere.

Bitches love Ireland.

Well, what route do you want to go down with the name?

Do you want something silly and Irish? "Irish Whipping"? "Irish Breakfist?" "Republic of Ire"?

Or something portmanteau-ey, like "DEATHAGEDON?"

Or something alliterive, like "Dublin Destruction/ Demolition" etc.

All bad examples, but I'm struggling for something awesome like red fight district :)

All bad examples, but I'm struggling for something awesome like red fight district :)

...or Hypespotting.... what a name.

The Gaelic Intervention?

Irish red Mist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Lord(s) of the Fight

I want to say something for guinness but the word is out and I don't think anyone would recognise it if it was called the black stuff.

Turf Wars.

Enter the Turf-Warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Whens Marvel Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

The Celtic Tiger Knees-Up.....maybe not....

On that note,

Celtic Tiger Destruction?

OOOOOH we could call it something like Gaelstorm and have a shopped green storm in the image :D

*Wonders if any other FG moves rhyme with Gael*

OOOOOH we could call it something like Gaelstorm and have a shopped green storm in the image :D

*Wonders if any other FG moves rhyme with Gael*

Gaelball
    Gaelthrow
    Celtic-Kara-Tiger-Knee.

We could just call it "Ireland's call" and all wear rugby jerseys with popped collars to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Chara-Demon

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Celtic tiger shot
    Celtic tiger uppercut
    Ect ect

Celtic tiger ______ gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Celtic Tiger Knees Up

Battle of Austerity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne