Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish International - Annual event

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Well anything will do that doesn't involve me sexually D:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fergusex

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Fergusex

Fergusex plus alpha

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Temple Bar Fights

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I was gonna suggest "Street Craic", then realised how bad it sounds when spoken out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Celtic Combat.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Some suggestions.

The Foamy Mushroom Cup
    Doctor Doom's Fraudaton 2013
    Fergus Dodgerton 5000 (people are expected to not show up)
    Chunkis 2013
    Paddy Brawl 2013
    Stupid Fast Roundhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Azza wrote: »
    Some suggestions.

The Foamy Mushroom Cup
    Doctor Doom's Fraudaton 2013
    Fergus Dodgerton 5000 (people are expected to not show up)
    Chunkis 2013
    Paddy Brawl 2013
    Stupid Fast Roundhouse.

Genius. Best one so far.

Paddy Brawl 1

Next year

Paddy Brawl alpa plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Gemerald Isle
    Craic Agus Ceol
    Savage Shenanagans
    Throwing Shapes

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I like Paddy Brawl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Paddy Brawl sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Azza wrote: »

The Foamy Mushroom Cup

Sounds like a prize from Mario Cart :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Paddy Brawl is a terrible name.

Might as well call it Leprechaun Fight 2013!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Paddy Brawl is a terrible name.

Might as well call it Leprechaun Fight 2013!
    Thank you! I thought I'd gone mad thinking I was the only one who thought it was abysmal!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think it's absolutely awful as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Something simple like Irish Open would be good too.

It's more about getting the correct sponsors, venue, prizes and confirming that top players will attend that will make or break it, not the name.

In saying that, very few people outside of Ireland will be familiar with the term Celtic Tiger, so it'll just seem weird to foreigners that we're using an animal not native to Ireland as part of the name if it goes down that route.

neigh sayers. Always neigh saying. Why don't you create something. Sit there in your tower. :P

@Chop - agree on the getting players. Some will come on invite but we need to think about how to get some players here as well and that is not easy.

Venue will be sorted - We ain't using the exchange.

Getting sponsors is all about projecting reach and numbers on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Safest bet is probably *Insert Cool sounding word starting with I* Ireland.

Immolation Ireland, it's like Inferno but with more... burnitude... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I vote for Chunkis 2013

Chunkfest 2013

• Advertisement

Chunkination: There will be Chunks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lythero wrote: »
    Chunkination: There will be Chunks
    Chunkis won't show up.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Chunkis won't show up.

I'm sorry, I got "there" and "will" mixed up. Silly me.

Any more ideas for name ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

I think 'Irish Open' or something like that works best. Any 'funny' name just gets less and less funny until it's embarrassing.

EirtaFist
    Fáilte Inferno
    Craic'n Skulls
    Drunken Beatdown
    Should'a Parried
    No White Tracksuits Allowed
    Ultra Dublin
    Dieminion-might-attend-athon

Feel free to mix and match if any of that is useful, joke names aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Inferno International
    International Inferno

lads i got one !!!

"Infernational"
    OR
    "Infernation"

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

When you guys approach companies for sponsorship you want to be taken seriously, so keep the name as professional as possible, otherwise a poor name could result in the loss of a potential sponsor.

It`s also beneficial for the name to explain itself, it means companies as well as the public know straight away what the event is and what it’s about. It could be anything as simple as the Irish fighting game championships. The bigger the event sounds the easier it’s going to be to hook a company into working with you and bringing people to the event.

One of the first questions a company is going to ask is what other companies are working with you and what the attendance is going to be like, you have to be smart in answering everything you say because again it could result in somebody like lets say Sony refusing to work with you because you are using Microsoft consoles.

In terms of numbers when I organised battle of destiny in 2008 we said the event would see over 1000 people to make companies like ubisoft work with us and give us exclusive rights to show off soul Calibur IV, so some slight exaggeration can really go a long way :)

Time of year is a big factor, this can make or break a tournament, especially in today's congested tournament scene, nobody is going to go to a tournament especially if it clashes on the same weekend as your own. American tournaments are irrelevant, but you definitely don`t want to clash with anything going on in the UK. The UK is going to be Irelands biggest group of international attendees so It would be smart to factor in the UK when organising the event.

Also be mindful of college/school exams, religious holidays and other times of the year, weather can also be potentially bad for a tournament if the event takes place in winter, avoid peak snow seasons that could cause airport delays stopping people from attending the event and i would also avoid the peak summertime too because its expensive to fly here.

Venue is also key, it’s key because companies don`t want to support something that’s not going to work for them. Microsoft and Sony want to see a return on their investment, so having a good space in a good location means that companies are more likely to work with you because they have more options inside the venue for potential signage.

Also I agree with staying away from evo, unless they are willing to actually contribute to the event in terms of hard cash. In 2008 I got 1000 pounds from Seth killian to fund part of battle of destiny, and that was before evo got big. If evo want ireland to run a tournament that’s associated with them or be a qualifying event for their tournament then they need to contribute financially, because at the moment ireland can`t afford to send players to America, it’s just not feasible.

Ireland doesn’t need any outside entities to make a national irish tournament, we have a good solid foundation already in place and the equipment is also growing. There is also more than enough people in the community to help make any event a success. But I would advise having a high profile player at the tournament to attract people to ireland. When I paid for Justin Wong to come over to the UK it definitely made an impact on the tournament, over 600 people came through the doors and at least 100 of them were enticed by seeing a world class player like Justin Wong, so paying a few extra quid to get somebody over to endorse the tournament is always a good idea not only to boost the attendance but to increase the overall profile of the event.

If you guys are serious about doing something on an international level I have a lot good ideas and a lot of experience that I can bring to the table, if you guys want to meet up over the Easter holidays let me know while I am available, because in 2 weeks time its back to college and back to real life.

Also for anybody reading that doesn`t know about battle of destiny, it was the biggest and most successful fighting game tournament that’s ever taken place in Europe, have a read about it over at http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/battle-of-destiny-2008-article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

chunkis wrote: »
    Blah blah blah

Micks with Sticks.

Edit: Suggestion from the bro, Micks Up (insert year here)

Sorry, just having a laugh. XD

Advertisement