Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish International - Annual event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Island invasions as a series name possibility with a subtitle for each event, say Island Invasions 2013 : Celtic Tiger Uppercut/Irish Central Beatings/Chunkisdrome2k13 ? Simple but memorable and leaving our options open for future event subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Please no event names which are just injokes for Irish people that foreigners won't get. Also great post chunkis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    .....Also great post chunkis.

agreed...... if followed up with action.

as for name, I think we need to align it with being Irish but the lads are right, we can't use an in joke or any joke really. Like I said, I am open to ideas, this would not be my strong point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think a joke is ok as long as it's along the lines of red fight district. It's FG and country related.

It's funny as we have an inbuilt one in "Fighting Irish" but I bet absolutely no one wants to use that!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

'Red Fight District' is funny and clever and everyone gets it. if someone can come up with something similar, then yeah, it works but almost all of the joke names are in-jokes that nobody else would understand.

• Advertisement

I think a joke is ok as long as it's along the lines of red fight district. It's FG and country related.

It's funny as we have an inbuilt one in "Fighting Irish" but I bet absolutely no one wants to use that!

Id be totally for using that if Notre Dame weren't using it already.

Also 3S: Shamrock Shadowloo Showdown. Alliteration never fails. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Great idea! :D. I would wholeheartedly support anything to do with this. It'll be a bit of a haul for me coming from Donegal but I have no problem providing a console, and laptop for recording. The only thing missing from my kit is a video capture device but I'm intent on getting a HDPVR2 so once I get that, recording should hopefully be no problem. Only thing I couldn't provide is a monitor. It's not the case of I don't have one but more the fact of the difficulty in transporting it. If I can arrange with my brother to drive down, providing a monitor should be fine.

Anyway, this would be an excellent way to promote the scene. My only request in providing all the kit is to have a VF5FS side tournament on the day :pac:

Yo where in Donegal? Thought I was the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Holy crap, Shamrock Showdown would be an awesome name.

OdgeXD wrote: »
    Yo where in Donegal? Thought I was the only one!

Yeah where are you guys based?! When I'm home i'm usually in Letterkenny a lot, house is in Stranorlar though. We could totally get a scene going out of LYIT or the Loft! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

chunkis wrote: »
    avoid peak snow seasons

Yeah, like the end of March. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Lythero wrote:
    Holy crap, Shamrock Showdown would be an awesome name.

Seth-Execution.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Okay then, go with Paddy Brawl. I'm sure it'll do great.

uP6yy_zpsd4f4f10e.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Irish Pugilism Open - IPO

All Ireland Fighting - AIF

Irish International Battles - IIB

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Okay then, because when I said paddy brawl. I was like being serious.

Irish International Battles gets my vote so far. Its got irish and international in the name, so it sounds like a major event and its universally understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

just something to maybe think about sponsor wise,
    rolando from vxg gets alot of his prize money etc from the tourist board of the island, he promoted it to them that it would make people visit there island.

they have nothing to do with evo,
    run there own international qualifiers,
    multi game event,
    get very good attendance both from home and away,
    and they prize pots are huge also.
    i think this is the kinda model we want to be trying to re-create, not trying to ride on evo's coat tails

on names i think orim a few posts up has it stop on.
    simple names that arnt trying to be smart.
    also that someone suggested irish open,isnt that a big golf event??

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

also that someone suggested irish open,isnt that a big golf event??

And poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Let's all go to the beach with your boy Rolando. :D

But on a serious note, trying to get VxG sponsorship is probably your best bet and unlike Evo you're actually getting things for your event instead of just points. I know Rolando is trying to sort out European qualifiers for VxG, he was on TST talking about it. So we are probably a bit late to have anything to do with them this year but next year (or at least the next FG season) it is definitely something you should consider. If we truly are serious about having an Irish major then you are better off going down the VxG route rather than the Evo one (at first anyway). Maybe if this all works out in the future we could have both.

But to be perfectly honest I think that getting big sponsorship in our first year is a bit optimistic. We need to have the tournament and make a kind of brand out of it first before we can get people to start throwing money at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The Irish International (in the subject) is a pretty simple, self-explanatory name.
    But on a serious note, trying to get VxG sponsorship is probably your best bet

I think 1man's point was to try and get sponsorship from our own government. Which is a pretty good idea, but we'd need a trailer that also featured touristy stuff, like bridges, parks and the spire. Similar to VxG being at "da beach".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

But to be perfectly honest I think that getting big sponsorship in our first year is a bit optimistic. We need to have the tournament and make a kind of brand out of it first before we can get people to start throwing money at us.

indeed,were not going to be getting vxg money 1st go around but if theres a blueprint to follow,each step is a foward direction to getting that

I think 1man's point was to try and get sponsorship from our own government. Which is a pretty good idea, but we'd need a trailer that also featured touristy stuff, like bridges, parks and the spire. Similar to VxG being at "da beach".

yea just saying maybe to try think outside the box.
    the sponsor doesnt need to be any way game related,like companies want advertising/promotion no matter who they are and even the thing of that the videos will be recorded/streamed/put on youtube,thats more people that will see there brand.

a trailer would be a great idea, would def helping pitching it out to people then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

The Irish International (in the subject) is a pretty simple, self-explanatory name.

Oh I actually didn't see it that way.
    But it wouldn't work. Irish tourism is already fairly healthy. So the gov aren't gonna fork out some money just in the chance of getting a couple of people over especially since it is for video games (which I am pretty sure the couldn't give a **** about). The reason VxG got the backing of their gov is because St. Maarten is a small island that is absolutely loaded and tourism is one of their main sources of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

1344253214761s.jpg Did someone mention daaa Beeech?

Some of the work Doom and myself are doing for the Baa Fights night in terms of sponsorship should hopefully carry over to this event too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Your trihex doesn't belong here... Kappa

Some of the work Doom and myself are doing for the Baa Fights night in terms of sponsorship should hopefully carry over to this event too.

I smell a sponsorship director role in your near future.... :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What about Emerald Isle Chaos?

Everyone knows Ireland as the Emerald Isle, everyone knows chaos emeralds from sonic, and there was even a sonic fighting game we could have as a side tournament :D

Name: TBC

Date.... This is the next thing. I am thinking September 28th. Is there anything else on that people know about. Trying to not have this clash with any other FG event in Europe.

How does the 28/09/2013 grab people?

ayjayirl wrote: »

Date.... This is the next thing. I am thinking September 28th. Is there anything else on that people know about. Trying to not have this clash with any other FG event in Europe.

For any TCD students wondering, its the saturday before Lectures begin for the year, so end of freshers week

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

ayjayirl wrote: »

Already know I'll 100% be working that day.

Looks like I'll be dodging for some time to come :cool:

• Advertisement

OdgeXD wrote: »
    Already know I'll 100% be working that day.

Looks like I'll be dodging for some time to come :cool:

that's very specific so far out. That's what I call planning :p

Advertisement