Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish International - Annual event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Is it too late for silly name suggestions?
    Respect the pipe-bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Unbelievably, I am not booked to play a wedding that day as of yet. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Hello again peoples.
    I was just passing through on the odd browse and saw this thread so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cent.

Most of the suggestions for names I read are funny or interesting only if you're actually from Ireland. If it's to also attract people from abroad it might want to be a little closer to things people outside Ireland relate to being Irish or Ireland itself. We know this to be the colour green, Guinness, potatoes, leprechauns, fighting and drink. I'd also put myself in the mindset of a player outside Ireland talking to another player in his/her community asking them "Are you going to (Insert Irish tourney name here)?". SVB EVO Cannes/WGC all roll easily off the tongue so it might be nice to have something similar. Anyway with that in mind here are my off the cuff ideas. Maybe they're ****e but maybe they'll inspire some better ideas from others here;

"The Big Irish" TBI
    "(The) Drunken Boxer"
    "Drunken Boxer Ireland" DBI. (Ireland or International could be added after any of these maybe too)
    "Potatoe Punch-Up"
    "Leprechaun Fights (Ireland)"
    "Green & Mean" (I don't particularly like these two but in trying to incorporate the whole green stereotype)
    "Mean 'n' Green"
    "Zorin Is Always Watching 2K13"

See what I did there? Anyway all the best :)

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

The Irish International is still the best name thus far.

Straight to the point, alliterative, has the word international, which perhaps is the main thing we're trying to achieve, get people to come visit and compete.

Keep thinking folks, but nothing has sounded fitting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Irish revolution 2013
    Revolution 2013
    Irish International
    Irish Underground
    insurgency 2013
    I.R.A acronym great mnemonic device, you'll definetly not forget it

How about just RandomSelect Eire or just Randomselect?

all I got

• Advertisement

I don't want to rain on your parade, Nutrient, but I have a feeling we'll have some trouble getting UK players to come to an event branded "IRA".

Speed Boat wrote: »
    I don't want to rain on your parade Nutrient but I have a feeling we'll have some trouble getting UK players coming to an event branded "IRA".

Haphazard names ofc, trying every angle

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

Speed Boat wrote: »
    I don't want to rain on your parade, Nutrient, but I have a feeling we'll have some trouble getting UK players to come to an event branded "IRA".

Actually lol'd and I agree :P

Ignoring the I.R.A., I think Nutrient's suggestions have been the best so far. Any of them would be good, I think. All hail Nutrient, for his superior powers of nomenclature. Except 'Underground'. We're not a surprisingly refreshing Tony Hawks reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

The irish international....what??? You need to finish that title off with something gaming related, otherwise nobody is going to have a clue what the event is lol.

The irish international fighting gaming championships.
    The irish international gaming festival.

Anything like that.

• Advertisement

If only we could go too the Beeeeeech.

Let's go to the puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuub

chunkis wrote: »
    The irish international....what??? You need to finish that title off with something gaming related, otherwise nobody is going to have a clue what the event is lol.

The irish international fighting gaming championships.
    The irish international gaming festival.

Anything like that.

Those are mouth fulls:pac:

A Mouth full of pjsalt.jpg

Brawl Eireann is my joking/serious suggestion.

Nutrients suggestion of "revolution" is alright, or maybe "rising".

But really, so long as it's not a terrible name it's not too big a deal. Your brand/brand awareness will be established bassed on the success of the inaugural event more often than not.

I was thinking 'Rising' is pretty good. Shame you're not having it at Easter, really.

Then Next Years should be "Revengence" I'll see myself out now \o\/o\/o/

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Ireland Jetstream Gameathon

IJG

Lythero wrote: »
    Ireland Jetstream Gameathon

IJG

I like Gameathon, needs a little more

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

Irish King's Rumble. IKR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Temple Scar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Beaster Rising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Could go with something like "Defence of Dublin" or "Dublin Defiance"

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Beaster Rising

This is the best. +1 vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4 autotwilo

Sodsgarden

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Turf wars.

And have a lump of flaming peat as the logo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Turf wars.

Oh I like that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Turf wars.

echo
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    Turf Wars.

Enter the Turf-Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

(Ok this post turned into something way longer than I originally planned)

TLDR Version: "Irish Fighting Games Championships" or "Irish Gaming Championships" with mainstream games included and sponsorship to entice top level players to attend and to have bigger prize pots, more hype and ultimately more people.

Rant Version:

IFGC - Irish Fighting Games Championships ?

I know that's not far off IGC that might one day be Irish Gaming Championships which would presumably incorporate ALLE TEH POPLUAR GAMZ. It might be something worth thinking about if anything for the future if IFGC goes well. Companies may get behind it too with sponsorship and prizes if you have dare I say it COD or Starcraft or Dota/LoL or Fifa, etc. I know I'm jumping the gun but if you're considering something on the same scale as other big competitions abroad then you have to take this into account.

What I'm saying is for it to be on par with WGC, SVB, etc (which I presume is the goal) you need the numbers in attendance. The UK and France for obvious reasons have much larger local gaming communities which fleshes out the tournament nicely across all games. Then you can add the people that travel from abroad adding nicely to the numbers. In Ireland however, even if every fighting games player who's been to any of the local tourneys that have been done over the last few years went to this big annual event it would still be quite a small turnout because we've a small community. That's why I mention the other games because you need the mainstream for something like this to work over here in my humble opinion. Even WGC has/had tonnes of other games (when I went anyway) which attracted more of a crowd and made it more hype. This created a much bigger atmosphere than perhaps if it was just fighting games. If you put posters up around about a Gaming event that includes a bunch of the more mainstream games like COD/Fifa 13 etc etc you'll get a much better turnout which will overall make the event more hype. This may in turn attract sponsors with prizes or help hosting the event which again attracts more people from farther away.

Here's a question; What swings people's decisions to go to a tournament?

For me when a bunch of us went to Cannes it was the hype of playing in a tournament with the world's best. I knew I'd get nowhere but I knew I would learn a lot and the experience would be worth it. Also just being a part of a tournament on that level was hype enough to make me want to go. We knew the likes of Daigo, Fuudo, Eita and Alioune would be there and we were hoping a bunch of the USA lads would come too (they didn't unfortunately).

For people not in the competitive scenes in gaming what would make them go along? Prizes would be my best guess. How big is the prize and how much is it to enter? Both of these sized up against their personal opinion of their own chances of winning.

How did they get that kind of hype for Cannes that pulled us from all over Europe? Was it by having Japanese players there? I think that played a big part for a lot of people who travelled from abroad anyway. Maybe it was because they had such a diverse range of gaming going on with a huge crowd there for soul calibur and other games. To do anything on the level of SVB or WGC you need the numbers and hype basically and the only way I see that happening is by somehow bringing in the big names from USA and/or Asia and by having a big prize pot. Of course to have that you need people to be paying chunky ticket prices or really good sponsorship. A high ticket price is acceptable though if top class players and a top level prize is at stake.

I know I'm stating the obvious here mostly but these things will have to be sorted properly in order to make it a worthwhile event and not just another small time nerd gathering of all the same faces with half not bothering to turn up that week because they can just turn up the next week or whatever. There has to be way more to it to qualify for interest from abroad.

Anyway, I think Irish Fighting Games Championship/IFGC works well as a proper name for a tournament trying to match the level of other international competitions. After thinking about it I don't think a weird silly name would look or sound that good on the broader scheme of things.

Ry

P.S. I'm unaware of any other Irish gaming events outside the fighting games community so if I've missed the plot entirely and there's some MASSIVE Irish gaming event I don't know about that drags in people from all over the world ignore this post.

P.P.S. Sponsored top level players are flown by their sponsors to big events if the event is deemed big enough because they could either win a large prize pot which would mostly go to the sponsor no doubt OR to get the sponsor a big amount of publicity by having their players at an event with tonnes of people in attendance. I think when it comes down to it the money is all that will get the big names interested. A big prize pot!

• Advertisement

I think you have a good point about the difficulty of setting this aside from just another fighting game tournament in Ireland. Involving mainstream games? I checked out the Starcraft forums and their scene doesn't seem particularly big. I've seen 250 Euro 1st place prizes, but they mostly seem to play online. Same for the DOTA and LOL 'scenes', which barely seem to exist. I think the only option is calling out the COD guys and try to get them to play live (and not be too loud, crass or violently right-wing), or try having competitive retro/casual (rhythm) games that anyone will turn up for and pay maybe a euro to enter. Is that even worth the setups?

I dunno, it seems to me that the local community isn't big enough to warrant an event on the scale of SVB at this time and certainly, have a big event; an Irish 'major' that everyone should make a bigger effort to turn up for, and try to grow it from there by making it good fun and getting more people involved. The only way to do that is to convince everyone that the event is important and they should go to it, so marketing and word of mouth? Then, in a few years, maybe it will be a big event that people from further afield will want to travel to, but I think it's up to us to prove that to them, rather than hoping for a huge prize pool that's going to offset, and in fact justify, the cost of a round trip from the USA or Japan.

Advertisement