Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish International - Annual event

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Kanped wrote: »
    I think you have a good point about the difficulty of setting this aside from just another fighting game tournament in Ireland. Involving mainstream games? I checked out the Starcraft forums and their scene doesn't seem particularly big. I've seen 250 Euro 1st place prizes, but they mostly seem to play online. Same for the DOTA and LOL 'scenes', which barely seem to exist. I think the only option is calling out the COD guys and try to get them to play live (and not be too loud, crass or violently right-wing), or try having competitive retro/casual (rhythm) games that anyone will turn up for and pay maybe a euro to enter. Is that even worth the setups?

I dunno, it seems to me that the local community isn't big enough to warrant an event on the scale of SVB at this time and certainly, have a big event; an Irish 'major' that everyone should make a bigger effort to turn up for, and try to grow it from there by making it good fun and getting more people involved. The only way to do that is to convince everyone that the event is important and they should go to it, so marketing and word of mouth? Then, in a few years, maybe it will be a big event that people from further afield will want to travel to, but I think it's up to us to prove that to them, rather than hoping for a huge prize pool that's going to offset, and in fact justify, the cost of a round trip from the USA or Japan.

Yeh the gaming scene across all games is small at best here. That's why I thought get them all in and at least the numbers might make the event something bigger than a standard FG event. As for bringing in foreign talent and without sounding like a negative Ned. I don't see it happening. I think we are pretty much destined to do the travelling to the bigger country events if we're looking for anything on that scale. You'd have to run some kind of Gaming convention here to pull the kind of numbers that would require big level sponsored players and prizes etc. The marketing and advertising would need to be insane for something that big. WGC has the luxury of being part of a convention/expo run in the building which means it got the advertising and massive publicity it needed originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 VagaBlonde

I like the name Craic House. Anything with Paddy/Mick/Potato/Leprechaun/PotOfGold in it is just feeding this notion that everyone here lives in thatched roof houses on farm land owned by evil British landlords during the potato famine.

I suggest:

The Grand Masters or just Grand Masters. Get it? Ho ho ho.
    Raising Ire/Raising EIRE - I like this one.

As for the difficulty in setting such a thing up here, I can see it having a lot of trouble taking off but surely it would be more fun - or at least an experience - to try?

What's the status of this anyway, on the back burner or possibly dead? I agree with the sentiments in the post above me but am also still curious to see if this can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

VagaBlonde wrote: »
    The Grand Masters or just Grand Masters. Get it? Ho ho ho.

High Kings for the Irish touch.
    TDs.png
    Edit: And I just now realised Craic House: Clash of the High Kings is too perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

House of Craic/Craic House is what I was calling my streams from my gaf occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    House of Craic/Craic House is what I was calling my streams from my gaf occasionally.

Yeah, I remember you or somebody had it in the early suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Craic Addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Rí Kumite

(As in irish for King Kumite)

Says Irish, king for crowned ultimate winner etc, and Kumite for fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

• The Maim Game - "I Game, I Saw, I Conquered"
    • The Irish Potato Slammin' - "Crisps vs Spuds"
    • Slamrock - "Luckier than a 4-leaf clover"
    • Bono is a twat - "He is"
    • The Eirelock - "In space, nobody can hear you bitch on the internet about input lag"
    • Taytofest 2013 - "Northern Irish Tayto is clearly better"
    • Fight Supremacy / Smack Panthers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Vyze wrote: »

WHAT?

WHAT?
    Even comedian Michael Legge agrees: https://twitter.com/michaellegge/status/363225974340870145

Also yeah hello everyone after I've been gone for like a year :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Raawron

Vyze wrote: »
    • The Maim Game - "I Game, I Saw, I Conquered"
    • The Irish Potato Slammin' - "Crisps vs Spuds"
    • Slamrock - "Luckier than a 4-leaf clover"
    • Bono is a twat - "He is"
    • The Eirelock - "In space, nobody can hear you bitch on the internet about input lag"
    • Fight Supremacy / Smack Panthers

Oh my god, Slamrock, yesss

Also, one of the names I considered for CXC was "Virtual Rock'em Sock'em" (VRS) but I dunno how far you could take that legally before Mattel kicks up a fuss ;)

Advertisement