Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios Image file Check Sum Error

Options
  • 19-03-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I have a asus a8n delexe sli which gaves the above error when i do alt f2 on post to enter the flash utility. I was driven to reinstall bios or upgrade it because i am getting freezing; reboot issues; missing drivers; unrecognised hardware issues etc. I have swapped out drives, video cards, reinstalled OS and even swapped PSU to no avail. So has my motherboard just had it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like you may need to change the bios battery, usually a CR2032 cell one. If the battery is dead the bios settings will be lost on boot

Nick

Checksum error means the BIOS image you are trying to flash is corrupt. They always check the integrity of the image before allowing you to flash it. Which could have happened during download, or when you copied it to the flashdrive. Or indeed it could be corrupt on the manufacturers server (it happens).

You should re-download it and/or copy it to a different flash drive.

However I don't recommend attempting a BIOS update with a machine that has a lot of stability problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Hi. What is the best way to check a file checksum? Is it built into win7, or should I download software?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi. What is the best way to check a file checksum? Is it built into win7, or should I download software?

just go back to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download a fresh copy of the bios update image and use a usb stick to copy and flash the bios.

make sure you safely remove the usb key properly to avoid corrupting the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

yoyo wrote: »
    Sounds like you may need to change the bios battery, usually a CR2032 cell one. If the battery is dead the bios settings will be lost on boot

Nick

The battery is about 2.9 on my meter so can i discount that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

Checksum error means the BIOS image you are trying to flash is corrupt. They always check the integrity of the image before allowing you to flash it. Which could have happened during download, or when you copied it to the flashdrive. Or indeed it could be corrupt on the manufacturers server (it happens).

You should re-download it and/or copy it to a different flash drive.

However I don't recommend attempting a BIOS update with a machine that has a lot of stability problems.

I folllowed asus instructions and copied the bios to a floppy disk and tried to flash from that. Although i copied all three files in the downloaded zip so i presume it would select the exe file automatically. I will download again. Should it work if i copied to a blank CD? I presume the bios would automatically pull the exe from any device besides the hard drive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Darith wrote: »
    The battery is about 2.9 on my meter so can i discount that?

Yeah the battery is fine, usually if the battery is dead you get a checksum error at startup, I misunderstood your question :)

Nick

Advertisement