Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC increasing speeds again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

sgarvan wrote: »
    2590514065.png

Dont think mine has been bumped up. This is around what I was always getting
    What model is your modem ?
    I needed to request a new modem as the old one was limited to 30mb ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah if it has the external antennae on it, it's the old one. I also had to upgrade to the new (internal antennae) one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I was bumped from 50 to 60 but ever since by torrent seeding speeds have been got worse rather than better!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JockESpollix

These guys are a scream.
    I sent a complaint, stating that I was...
    1: Connected directly with an ethernet cable.
    2: Have tried it on both connections in the house. Upstairs and downstairs.
    3: What modem I have
    4: That it is the same at any time of the day
    5: Posted a screenshot and text of the UPC Speedtest results.

They reply asking...
    1: Am I using Usb, Ethernet or wireless?
    2: Where is the connection in the house?
    3: What modem do you have?
    4: What times of the day it happens?
    5: Can you do a test on the upc speedtest and send the results?

I swear I'm dealing with Basil Faulty.

Lol, you should ring their phone customer services, dial through to technical support.
    Whenever I rang the technical support team, they went out of their way to help me out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Mine modem is Thompson Broadband Router (UPC) Model: TWG870

http://sburke.eu/blog/2011/01/thompson-broadband-router-upc-model-twg870/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Signing up to 50mgb UPC broadband today and technician calling out to house. Just wondering what type of modem should I expect to get as don't want to be fobbed off with the older slower types

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mjp wrote: »
    Signing up to 50mgb UPC broadband today and technician calling out to house. Just wondering what type of modem should I expect to get as don't want to be fobbed off with the older slower types

Thanks

You'll get an EPC3925. Capable of over 100Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

DaLad wrote: »
    Yeah if it has the external antennae on it, it's the old one. I also had to upgrade to the new (internal antennae) one.

how much did that cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gonzo wrote: »
    sickening stuff reading this for us poor joes on crappy Eircom ADSL, but it's ok we get the continued privilege of the Study Hub, that should keep us all happy forever and ever!:(

Want something worse?

I had UPC 150mb, and moved to an area without Fibre optic so am now on 15mb, that cant even play my games.

First world problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭JDxtra

TheDoc wrote: »

Want something worse?

I had UPC 150mb, and moved to an area without Fibre optic so am now on 15mb, that cant even play my games.

First world problems
    Surely gaming needs low latency, not high capacity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

ED E wrote: »
    You'll get an EPC3925. Capable of over 100Mb.

Wish him luck getting 100mb with that junk .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

And what do you recommend, which comes free with UPC, that can do the job in your eyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

2595652461.png

Seems I now have 60Mb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd love to upgrade but I'm half way through a 12 month contract and I'd get absolutely nothing from them in terms of discounts starting another 12 months.

Eircom have installed FTTC just across the road so I'll not forget to mention that when the contract is up and I need to haggle.

pm1977x wrote: »
    how much did that cost?

I think it was about €45 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

DaLad wrote: »
    I think it was about €45 or so.

cheers, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well what do you know.

I'm on what has the 50MB package, in Waterford.

2597937141.png

• Registered Users Posts: 46 GreenIrish

i have 25 mb upc which u cant even get anymore as the lowest is 50 will i be gettin bumper up why woud they be giving people who have 100 120 while people with lower speeds get nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

I have 2 connections into the house using a MikroTik Router, and have load balancing on them... rebooted last night, got the following this morning:

WAN1 (100mb/s connection)
    DrHYhuB.png

WAN2 (150mb/s connection)
    fJOql0X.png

both (per connection balancing, should not give an increese, so dont know why i got these speeds)
    YbmJGF2.png

I have seen the both connections at one stage hit over 200mb/s, but dont have a screen shot... this was done about 20 min ago... but i never "just" got the 100 or 150mb/s... always seem to be about 5-10mb/s over...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

GreenIrish wrote: »
    i have 25 mb upc which u cant even get anymore as the lowest is 50 will i be gettin bumper up why woud they be giving people who have 100 120 while people with lower speeds get nothing?
    Because you're not on a current package and hence don't pay as much and take additional work to maintain (i.e. older equipment etc.).

Engineer coming out between 1 and 6 today. This is the fastest I've had since it bombed last Thursday.

2598435672.png

And a couple of mins later on UPC speedtest.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2862 kbps (357.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 6271 kbps (783.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 13 ms
    3/25/2013 11:31:00 AM

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1795 kbps (224.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 6265 kbps (783.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 13 ms
    3/25/2013 11:41:34 AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

lotas wrote: »
    I have 2 connections into the house using a MikroTik Router, and have load balancing on them... rebooted last night, got the following this morning:

Which model MikroTik are you using ? Does it do decent QOS i.e. only want 30% bandwidth going to machine A etc ?

ondafly wrote: »
    Which model MikroTik are you using ? Does it do decent QOS i.e. only want 30% bandwidth going to machine A etc ?

got the RB1100 in the house, and i can give particular IP address a set amount of bandwidth. I can also give a group of a machines a set amount of bandwidth, and either share the limit or give each their own amount. I also have it set that any connections coming from a particular machine (downloads box, for example) goes though a particular connection (VPN in this case). all connections going to certain ip addresses (BBC) go though a particular connection (UK VPN) and some connections are set to go though one of the wan links (college though wan 1, since the sessions gets confused if your hitting from 2 ip addresses...).

Engineer just left.
    Fiddled about with the cables from the road to the house and hey presto!! ;)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 62681 kbps
    Upload Speed: 6283 kbps
    3/26/2013 2:04:44 PM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm on the 30mb package with the Cisco 3925 modem. Getting speeds of 26mb.

I spoke to UPC this morning and they told me that only the following modems could take the higher speeds:
    CISCO EPC 2935, THOMSON TWG870 or a DOCSIS

Was this a typo (was online chat customer service)? My modem does not have an external antenna. She also said to upgrade to 50mb, it would be €3 extra a month and if I needed to upgrade the modem, it would be a one-off charge of €45.

Genealogy Forum Mod

might be a misstype... my modems are EPC3925s and they work at 100 and 150mb/s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

100Mbps in Navan (wired connection - Dell XPS 8500 with i7cpu):

http://speedtest.net/result/2602371907.png

Qwikpix wrote: »
    100Mbps in Navan (wired connection - Dell XPS 8500 with i7cpu):

http://speedtest.net/result/2602371907.png

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

Wrong thread.

No it's not. It follows on from post #1 I don't know if UPC have upgraded my 100Mbps connection to 120Mbps.

I gave details of my computer system because it's relevant to broadband speeds. My XP computer would get around 70Mpbs from a 100Mbps connection.

Advertisement