Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC increasing speeds again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

I got bumped from 100 to 120 and my penis is huge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Good boost on the 100MB package in Clonsilla

2642435535.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Was on 25Mb, didn't get a text this time unfortunately so I rang them up and they bumped me up to 50 for a 1 year contract. Not like I was going to switch to eircom or Sky anyway.

60daba2c5c7e095e42c97bb43b2ccbc9.png?1365938404

708acd7929bb9620da9a1ce43e6348dc.png?1365938537

19-22ms latency

Still a happy camper :pac:

This deserves a round of applause to be honest..
    UPC Ireland CEO Dana Strong said the company’s broadband customers who are on less than 50Mbps will be upgraded for free to the new entry-level speed. Users who require new modems to cope with the speed increase will be sent the latest modems for free.
    Customers of 25Mbps and below will be upgraded to 50Mbps, while customers of 50Mbps and above will move to 100Mbps and 150Mbps speeds.

That's thousands of customers who are still on the 8 and 10 Mbps from ages ago who never even bothered to request an upgraded getting bumped up to 50Mbps with the required modem supplied free of charge.

At present, just 10pc of Irish broadband users are on speeds of 50Mbps plus and following UPC’s speed increases that will expand to 30pc of all Irish broadband users on speeds of 50Mbps and higher.

30pc of the population being connected to 50-150Mbps is great news, but it's sad that these speeds aren't available to potential customers outside cities. This will seriously increase our average internet speed and it also means that every UPC customer will have broadband at least twice as fast as eircom's fastest bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

While I am happy for those who care little for the broadband speed/package they are on being bumped up to faster speeds, it does seem a little unfair to those that have paid the premium all along to have the 100 or 150 package.

It seems that everyone is getting something for free bar those who spend most on the 150 package which does not seem right to me!

Will the price of the 150 package drop? How will UPC appease those 150 customers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    This deserves a round of applause to be honest..
    That's thousands of customers who are still on the 8 and 10 Mbps from ages ago who never even bothered to request an upgraded getting bumped up to 50Mbps with the required modem supplied free of charge.

Actually I have heard of areas in Galway where the network could only handle 10mbits some time back (when it was offered) and where new connections were no longer available once the entry level was increased to 25mbits.

I'll be interesting to see if they can get them all to 50mbits minimum in one fell swoop all right. :)

KN will be delighted for all the extra business and hopefully the UPC upgrade program does not mean that staff cannot be found for the eircom on premises upgrade program starting in 5 weeks. :D

GEO147 wrote: »
    Will the price of the 150 package drop to? How will UPC appease those 150 customers?

A bump to 200 would appease me :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Actually I have heard of areas in Galway where the network could only handle 10mbits some time back (when it was offered) and where new connections were no longer available once the entry level was increased to 25mbits.

I'll be interesting to see if they can get them all to 50mbits minimum in one fell swoop all right. :)

KN will be delighted for all the extra business and hopefully the UPC upgrade program does not mean that staff cannot be found for the eircom on premises upgrade program starting in 5 weeks. :D

Ah yeah it will be interesting what will happen to those areas, they did say in the next two months so maybe there has been network upgrades of late/happening now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    they did say in the next two months

They would wouldn't they, just when eircom need the extra field staff and all :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

wish I could get a straight answer out of UPC about why my estate in Waterford is maxed out at 30 meg, asked on twitter rang them etc etc and no one seems to know or are not telling why they cant offer the 50-150 meg packages.

Keep getting well let you know when its available

and the wait goes on

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Dana musn't know that customers on 25Mbps have already been upgraded to 30Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dana musn't know that customers on 25Mbps have already been upgraded to 30Mbps.

Yeah, us 32's have to request it manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

So if you're paying for 50Mb now, you will get 100Mb when they bump us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Wait for a month or two until we get the usual price increase letter to go along with the increased speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Will the upgrade to 50mb involve signing a new contract? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I'd like to haggle a new contract before upgrading if a new contract needs to be signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I'm on 100Mb

2650169367.png

Prodigious wrote: »
    I'm on 100Mb

2650169367.png
    Wouldn't really trust speedtest.net. It tells me I'm getting 40Mbs when in fact I'm getting 50-55Mbs when downloading(6.25-6.8 MBs) which my performance monitoring unit confirms. It's been showing an average 53Mbs every hour since I upgraded.

What speed do you get when you download something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm on 100Mb

2650169367.png

Are you using Wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Yeah, I'm on wifi, does that make a significant difference?

I don't download much except for torrents, which can't really give you a fair reading

Yeah, I'm on wifi, does that make a significant difference?

I don't download much except for torrents, which can't really give you a fair reading

Yep it makes a difference. How strong is your signal? (the further you are from the router, the weaker the signal)

Try plugging it straight to the modem and see what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Morf wrote: »
    Will the upgrade to 50mb involve signing a new contract? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I'd like to haggle a new contract before upgrading if a new contract needs to be signed.

New contract alright.
    3.1 Unless otherwise stated in our Price List or other documentation that we provide to
    you, the minimum period (the “Minimum Period”) of the Services, is twelve (12) months starting on the date we activate the Services. Where you during the term of your Agreement with us request additional Services or a change to a Package of Services, the Minimum Period will be extended for a further period of twelve (12 months) from the date we activate the additional Services,
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/General%20Termsandconditions11.04.13.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaran_2

A new 1 year contract may apply if you request an upgrade.
    If UPC apply an upgrade as part of a general roll out your contract will not extend by a year.

This has been the pattern in the past when upgrading from 10 to 15Mb, 15 to 20Mb, etc.
    Usually it's followed within 6 to 8 months by a price increase, though not usually huge. I've usually stayed on the lowest speed, been upgraded as part of a general scheme and usually stay on a cheaper rate than those who initially sign up on that speed.

Ciaran_2 wrote: »
    A new 1 year contract may apply if you request an upgrade.
    If UPC apply an upgrade as part of a general roll out your contract will not extend by a year.

This has been the pattern in the past when upgrading from 10 to 15Mb, 15 to 20Mb, etc.
    Usually it's followed within 6 to 8 months by a price increase, though not usually huge. I've usually stayed on the lowest speed, been upgraded as part of a general scheme and usually stay on a cheaper rate than those who initially sign up on that speed.
    Chances are he needs to upgrade a modem if he's upgrading to 50mb, so I'd assume he'd have to be the one to make the first move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaran_2

UPC announced (Apr 16th) they are upgrading all to a min of 50Mb ... in the next two months.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32294-upc-brings-entry-level/

"UPC Ireland CEO Dana Strong said the company’s broadband customers who are on less than 50Mbps will be upgraded for free to the new entry-level speed. Users who require new modems to cope with the speed increase will be sent the latest modems for free."

That'd be different then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Up to this people who requested a new modem to cope with the free upgrade to 50Mb were charged without extending their contract, & some got it for free through loyalty dept in exchange for signing up to a further 12 month contract.

I'd say this latest announcement could have something to do with the planned launch of the Horizon box in a few months time. They may be trying to offload their stock of modems to make room for the new boxes with the idea that quite a lot of customers will opt to switch to them after they become available anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

BowWow wrote: »

Got a bit of a shock while the URL was loading because there isnt a point on the 39pc. :eek:

I was thinking SKY here I come!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Funny , But I got this speed bump ( from 50 to 60 ) last august or so , they changed my modem then because I was having problems , the bump must have been automatic with the new modem I guess !!

My speedtest graph is below , it starts on the 18/8/2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I honestly don't know what I am getting..
    I am supposed to be on 100mb.
    Speedtest is saying 60, upc's speedtest is saying 102, magnet is saying 102 and some other one I tried is saying 60..
    That's wired by the way.
    Whats the most reliable speedtest?
    Cheers.

Advertisement