Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC increasing speeds again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

sham69 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what I am getting..
    I am supposed to be on 100mb.
    Speedtest is saying 60, upc's speedtest is saying 102, magnet is saying 102 and some other one I tried is saying 60..
    That's wired by the way.
    Whats the most reliable speedtest?
    Cheers.

Have you tried downloading an ISO from Heanet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

sham69 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what I am getting..
    I am supposed to be on 100mb.
    Speedtest is saying 60, upc's speedtest is saying 102, magnet is saying 102 and some other one I tried is saying 60..
    That's wired by the way.
    Whats the most reliable speedtest?
    Cheers.

Which server on Speedtest were you testing on, it's a little unreliable. Testing on the same server can show 60% of my speed, then a retest can show 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Cheers folks.
    I will try both suggestions above.

On Usenet I can get speeds of 9.5mb to 5.2 to 3.5
    It seems to be very up and down.
    I don't know if it is UPC or the source of the downloads.
    I will do a bit of investigating this evening.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

shinzon wrote: »
    wish I could get a straight answer out of UPC about why my estate in Waterford is maxed out at 30 meg, asked on twitter rang them etc etc and no one seems to know or are not telling why they cant offer the 50-150 meg packages.

Keep getting well let you know when its available

and the wait goes on

Shin

I was in the same boat, was told it would be around September before 50+ would be available. And then a few weeks ago the full range became available so you might be lucky.

The problem I had then was the main family laptop only had a bloody megabit ethernet card installed so had top drop back to the 100Mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Just got an email from UPC telling me that my bill is going up by €2.35, so the comments about a seed increase being coupled with a price increase were totally correct.

So UPC business model is to not only charge a premium for the top tier services, but to also charge those paying the top premiums for the cumulative cost to increase the services for those who either dont want/or wont pay for the better more expensive services.

In this case I believe the €2.35 will go towards new routers and labour costs for speed increases to those who don't care about them.

Very strange business model if you ask me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

GEO147 wrote: »
    Just got an email from UPC telling me that my bill is going up by €2.35, so the comments about a seed increase being coupled with a price increase were totally correct.

I also got an email from upc, basically saying they were moving me from 50 to 100mb. They also mentioned others terms and conditions changes (call rates to premium numbers) and some stuff to do with TV (which I dont have). It also mentioned that if I was unhappy about the contract changes I could cancel without penalty. Not an issue anyway since I'm out of contract.

Importantly, there was no mention of a price increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Just got an email saying they were bumping me from 60mb to 100mb by the end of May. They are also charging me an extra 1.20 per month. 1.20 for an extra 40mb is a good deal as far as I can see. I will use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

andy1249 wrote: »
    Just got an email saying they were bumping me from 60mb to 100mb by the end of May. They are also charging me an extra 1.20 per month. 1.20 for an extra 40mb is a good deal as far as I can see. I will use it.

Absolutely chuffed at the idea of 100Mbs myself ^ ^, will this require a router upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

UPC emailed me saying they are increasing my broadband to 30MB but in a separate paragraph are blaming rising costs for charging me an extra 4.01 euro per month.

I don't want or need a speed increase or a price increase. It looks like sharp practice to me, forcing me to pay for an extra thing I don't want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gremlin wrote: »
    I also got an email from upc, basically saying they were moving me from 50 to 100mb. They also mentioned others terms and conditions changes (call rates to premium numbers) and some stuff to do with TV (which I dont have). It also mentioned that if I was unhappy about the contract changes I could cancel without penalty. Not an issue anyway since I'm out of contract.

Importantly, there was no mention of a price increase.

From what I can gather they are increasing many call costs outside the bundle allowance.

They are increasing the "anywhere" minutes allowance from 100 to 150 but they are also increasing the costs of calls outside the allowance quite significantly. Already a local call outside the allowance is an outrageous 20.33c per minute and the new charge will be 24c per minute.

While 150 mins may seem generous it is only an average of 5 mins per day and a regular home phone user could easily exceed that without realising how costly it can be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

UPC emailed me saying they are increasing my broadband to 30MB but in a separate paragraph are blaming rising costs for charging me an extra 4.01 euro per month.

Same - my issue with it is that I cannot get more than 20 on my line anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

GEO147 wrote: »

So UPC business model is to not only charge a premium for the top tier services, but to also charge those paying the top premiums for the cumulative cost to increase the services for those who either dont want/or wont pay for the better more expensive services.

In this case I believe the €2.35 will go towards new routers and labour costs for speed increases to those who don't care about them.

Very strange business model if you ask me!

Stranger because I got the following

"Broadband Speed Improvements To thank you for your continued support we will be increasing your Fibre Power Broadband speed to a super-fast 150Mb by the end of May with our compliments. We will notify you by SMS text message when this speed increase takes place."

I'm currently on 120Mb and there is no mention of an additional charge. My package has the phone/tv/internet triple play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'm not overly worried by the potential price increase when I consider all the years I paid top buck for a crappy DSL line. The service I get from them is top notch.

As for individuals receiving emails from UPC? I've never ever received one from them, is it something you need to subscribe to through your account or how did you sign up to get them?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I, for one, am happy that UPC continues to evolve and I really do not mind paying to see it continue in good health.

I also remember this is the company who stood up to the corporate bullies and their 3 strike rule, while Eircom just caved in .

If this was another company, they would have hit us with the hike first while blaming some random economic factor, and then, increased the bandwidth at a later date inline with new pricing models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Got the the email from UPC indicating they'll be increasing my speed from 120 to 150 by end of May (complimentary - no extra charges mentioned - except related to certain phone call rates outside of my package allowance etc..)

It'll be interesting to see whether we, as existing 'Loyal UPC Customers', us early adoptors of UPCs faster/more expensive BB products, actually get the same recently ammended T&Cs as new UPC customers of their current 50Mb, 100Mb & 150Mb BB product range - related to true unlimited monthly data usage for these current BB products or whether we'll still have the old 500GB monthly data usage allowance...??? That's a question I'd like to know the answer to...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'd say UPC are worried about Eircom and the new fibre packages if they are increasing speeds across the board like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I doubt anyone is worried about eircom?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I doubt anyone is worried about eircom?

Lol, my sentiments exactly. Competition is always good for the consumer however!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

I'd say UPC are worried about Eircom and the new fibre packages if they are increasing speeds across the board like this!

It may also be strategic - eg..for their TV Rollout Plans such as the new/coming Horizon Product that comes down their BB pileline. UPC know their baseline is (or going to be soon) 50Mb which (in their eyes) may be the minimum they are comfortable with for such a new & BB intensive product.

Also a reason why they may have recently ammended their BB product T&Cs related to monthly data allowance now being unlimited for their 50/100/150 products. It would be a right pain for UPC Customers to have to monitor usage closely going forward when TV usage through their BB connection was a user of the data allowance or to have to stop watching their BB TV at some point in the month as their data limit was approaching :D

ondafly wrote: »
    Stranger because I got the following

"Broadband Speed Improvements To thank you for your continued support we will be increasing your Fibre Power Broadband speed to a super-fast 150Mb by the end of May with our compliments. We will notify you by SMS text message when this speed increase takes place."

I'm currently on 120Mb and there is no mention of an additional charge. My package has the phone/tv/internet triple play.

Yeah it just doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the service, I just don't understand the pricing structure or how they decide who should/should not pay more.

I also have the bb, tv and phone package and paying for 150 line and now extra €2.35? Makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Edit: Post nuked (should've read thread) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

My gfs parents are already pissed at the amount they are paying for 100mb broadband (they don't use :)) and for TV in a few rooms. They won't be happy if they're told to pay an extra fiver for no good reason as far as they can see. They upped it 5 euro a couple months ago I think too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm very happy with my UPC service.
    BB, Phone and TV (kids use the TV as I still have sky as my main)
    I pay 80 a month.
    I don't mind these small increases adhoc but it does seem to be happening a lot...
    80 a month is kind of my budget so don't really want to go much higher than this.
    Hats off to them though, their service just seems to get better and better
    (and dearer and dearer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Johnmullen

UPC Increased the Price!!
    this is just a ripoff

Yeah it's not long since the last price increase. A couple of euro here and there = happy shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Oh great. Received an Email, they are charging me an additional 4 Euros (12% hike) for 5Mbit speed increase. Thats a bit extreme I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Not really bothered about going from 60>100 (at what level does it stop being noticeable?). Would be nice to get better upload though – does it increase in the same ratio?

10Mb upload with 100mb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Used to pay BT and Vodafone as much as my paying UPC now and only ever got between 3 and 8mb broadband.....I'm not going to quibble over a 2.50 increase for an extra 40mb's

Don't really need it for what I use tbh but if it's there why not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

andy1249 wrote: »

Hmm, I'm going from 60 to 100mb as well but I'm getting charged an extra €4.51. Internet/Phone/TV here.

Advertisement