Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC increasing speeds again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

nesf wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm going from 60 to 100mb as well but I'm getting charged an extra €4.51. Internet/Phone/TV here.

Im going from 150 to 150mb and they are charging me €2.35, not a big deal but a principle perspective its hard to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I haven't heard anything from UPC regarding a price increase. The only email I got was about my minutes be increased from 100 to 150, no letters or anything.

While there may not be any reason for a speed increase from 150Mb to 200Mb since competition isn't there. I do expect them to up the speed to 200Mb soon.

Magnet fatpipe is going to be in my area soon with 70mb/20mb. It's the upload that would be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Thor wrote: »
    While there may not be any reason for a speed increase from 150Mb to 200Mb since competition isn't there. I do expect them to up the speed to 200Mb soon.

Not saying they won't increase it, but take a look at all the other UPC countries. A lot of them that were in place before Ireland, still are on 100 & 120mbps.

That was over a month since I checked but doubt they've changed since then.

Thor wrote: »
    Magnet fatpipe is going to be in my area soon with 70mb/20mb. It's the upload that would be nice!

Agreed, a boost in upload speed to match the new magnet offering would be usefull for faster cloud back-ups.

I'm on the old 25Mb package with the 2203 modem. Haven't received any correspondence yet. Does anyone on 25Mb know what's happening, if anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm on the old 25Mb package with the 2203 modem. Haven't received any correspondence yet. Does anyone on 25Mb know what's happening, if anything?

UPC should (in theory based on what's been happening other customers & the statement they made recently) be in contact with you to inform you they will be planning to increase your BB speed to their 50Mb product (for which they'll send you a new modem I think)..

Don't know for sure in your exact case - just based on what's been happenning everyone else (myself included). Some people are being notified this upgrade will cost them more per month then they currently pay, others are receving their upgrade at no additional monthly charge..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pinka31

So I’m confused! How come my increase is higher than some of the posters here? I have basic tv, 50Mb Broadband and phone and I got a €5 increase? Is it to do with my TV package?confused.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I changed my package from the old top-tier bundle(60mb) to the new top-tier bundle(100mb) on Monday so I'm in a new contract for 12 months and I get a letter yesterday saying I'm being charged an extra €6.01 a month from now on and my broadband is being up'ed to 100mb, the broadband is already at 100 since the package change.

Might be a case of I've slipped through the cracks and the letter was sent out regarding my old bundle but I'm going to ring up and ask what the story is either way, I'll post back once I know what's what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I was on the old 25Mb package, it's being upgraded to 30Mb (with an additional €4.01 added to the service charge - phone/bb package).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

GEO147 wrote: »
    Im going from 150 to 150mb and they are charging me €2.35, not a big deal but a principle perspective its hard to swallow.

Aye....i would have thought they would go to 180mbps....or at the very least up the upload speed to compete with Eircom, i mean....we'll soon have 20/15/10mbps upstream.......so......how/when will UPC compete with that :confused:

• Advertisement

I was on the old 25Mb package, it's being upgraded to 30Mb (with an additional €4.01 added to the service charge - phone/bb package).

The mother is the same, upped to 30mbps with the very VERY old/original UPC/Cisco modem. I rang her just there to tell her to ring up a get the new modem. She'll need it when they up to 50mbps anyway.

Its a way better modem, wireless N, better range etc. + able to handle 150mbps....or is it 200 :confused:

Agreed, a boost in upload speed to match the new magnet offering would be usefull for faster cloud back-ups.

+1...for purely competition purposes they must at least match Eircom's 20mbps upload, in fact for the max package of 150mbps i would think 30mbps upstream *should* be the minimum now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I would like them to shove both their price increase and their speed ''upgrade'' where the sun dont shine.

do we have any options except to take it ? what about the regulator ? how can you force someone to take a more expensive package ? isnt it tantamount to (mis selling) forcing someone to buy a life insurance policy they dont need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

I'm on the same but haven't received any communication yet.. I'm grandfathered into my package though and get the 100 minutes and 30 meg for 37..can probably afford a little price bump but I don't think I need it

vicM wrote: »
    I'm on the same but haven't received any communication yet.. I'm grandfathered into my package though and get the 100 minutes and 30 meg for 37..can probably afford a little price bump but I don't think I need it

Yeah, when I signed up to that package I was on 8 meg and was bumped up to 25 over time. They were also pushing me to upgrade to 50 recently but I really don't need it. I'd prefer to have maybe 10-15 and pay less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

Yeah, when I signed up to that package I was on 8 meg and was bumped up to 25 over time. They were also pushing me to upgrade to 50 recently but I really don't need it. I'd prefer to have maybe 10-15 and pay less.

Even with streaming stuff.. The speeds are Fine.. We only have 3 smartphones, a laptop, smart bluray player and that's it. 100 meg would be overkill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I would like them to shove both their price increase and their speed ''upgrade'' where the sun dont shine.

do we have any options except to take it ? what about the regulator ? how can you force someone to take a more expensive package ? isnt it tantamount to (mis selling) forcing someone to buy a life insurance policy they dont need ?
    You always have the option to cancel your subscription instead with out any penalty; but no they don't have to provide a old package for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They can't force you to take a more expensive package, even if you are in contract with them. It's clearly stated in the email they sent out that you can:
    However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.

It is illegal for any company to increase the price of a contract against your will. They can however increase the price and then give you a reasonable time within which to downgrade or cancel your deal with them. It's only illegal if you are forced to stay with them, or would be penalised financially for leaving.

I hope the above helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just received the first email ever from UPC informing me of

1. Price decrease (24cent + VAT)

2. Home phone call rates change

3. Changes reflecting TV content that you access online. T&C's

The mention that this is a contract change so the option to leave without penalty within 30 days applies.

No mention whatsoever of speeds?

I'm on the 50 package.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

They seem to have bumped me from 25 to 30 a few weeks ago indeed. A trip to My UPC confirmed it.

Silently I might add, didn't get any notification. They call me every once in a while to convince me to take a new package (or phone service) but I always decline because I'd be locked into a 1-year contract again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Did another test with ethernet cable. Quite disappointing seeing as I'm supposed to be on 100 mb/s

2656832750.png

Prodigious wrote: »
    Did another test with ethernet cable. Quite disappointing seeing as I'm supposed to be on 100 mb/s

2656832750.png

Are you paying for 100mb? Speedtest.com isn't the most reliable. Try UPC Speed Test

if still not getting full speed, do a modem reset, if still getting less than 80mb via ethernet, contact tech support.

Nice one. I get 127 Mb/s with the UPC one

Nice one. I get 127 Mb/s with the UPC one

Nice one. So you should see about 14-15mbps or so download, shweet. I'm only getting 105mb myself :P

On speedtest.net the best server usually to test against is the Galway one for future reference!

DaLad wrote: »
    Nice one. So you should see about 14-15mbps or so download, shweet. I'm only getting 105mb myself :P

On speedtest.net the best server usually to test against is the Galway one for future reference!

With torrents and that (well seeded) the best I'm seeing is around 3 or 4. Usually its around 1.... Would like to improve on that if I could

With torrents and that (well seeded) the best I'm seeing is around 3 or 4. Usually its around 1.... Would like to improve on that if I could

Torrents is a totally different subject. You could make sure you don't have it limited to 4mb. Just google how to get max speed from whatever utorrent version you currently have. Try a download from a site that you think would give full download speed. For me, downloading a game on Steam gives me full speed, like 13.6mbps for my 105mb connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How do i check if my price is increasing? I got the email about contract changes but there is no mention of price in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Melion wrote: »
    How do i check if my price is increasing? I got the email about contract changes but there is no mention of price in it.

It was the "Important Contract Changes" email that contained the blue box that said what your price change was.

It was the "Important Contract Changes" email that contained the blue box that said what your price change was.

I never got any email at all, a UPC customer for 3 years. Oh well lol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yep, there is nothing about a price change. Just an extra 50 minutes on my phone package that i dont even use. No additional price on my BB

Advertisement