Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC increasing speeds again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

DaLad wrote: »
    I never got any email at all, a UPC customer for 3 years. Oh well lol.

same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are you paying for 100mb? Speedtest.com isn't the most reliable. Try UPC Speed Test

if still not getting full speed, do a modem reset, if still getting less than 80mb via ethernet, contact tech support.
    Prodigious wrote: »
    Nice one. I get 127 Mb/s with the UPC one

Really the UPC one is better? for the UPC product you are paying for ? Jaysis thats mad......

Speedtest is near 100% accurate and has been for years.

2657026717.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Really the UPC one is better? for the UPC product you are paying for ? Jaysis thats mad......

No need for sarcasm.

Speedtest.net all depends on which server you test against.

I can get a difference of 30mb testing against various servers based in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

dreamers75 wrote: »

2657026717.png

Speedtest.net rarely reflect on my actual speed or the speed measured by my performance monitoring unit to be honest. Most of the time it would give me a low result but when I change servers it would be a little higher, that leaves you in a little bit of confusion as to which one is right - none of them actually. They're still way less than what I know I'm getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.
    nesf wrote: »
    It is illegal for any company to increase the price of a contract against your will. They can however increase the price and then give you a reasonable time within which to downgrade or cancel your deal with them. It's only illegal if you are forced to stay with them, or would be penalised financially for leaving.

I hope the above helps.

It seems a bit clearer thanks but I am still am unsure about what ''right to downgrade means''
    If I can downgrade my service then can I keep my bill down too ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2657154609.png

UPC Speedtest is giving me download speed of .99 MBps and upload speed of 0.37 MBps.

whats going on here ? Maybe I feel spoiled after years of Eircon dialup yet this seems ridiculously slow and they still want to up my charges ?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2657154609.png

UPC Speedtest is giving me download speed of .99 MBps and upload speed of 0.37 MBps.

whats going on here ? Maybe I feel spoiled after years of Eircon dialup yet this seems ridiculously slow and they still want to up my charges ?

What do you get on UPC Speed Test?

If after a modem reset, you're still getting that ridiculous speed, then you might want to check you don't have any programs uploading/downloading, might check your bottom right for hidden icons on all devices that are switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Has anyone seen anything in writing saying the upgrade to 50mb and new modem is A) free and B) does not involve starting a new contract?

Some people ringing up UPC about it on the Cable forum were being charged and being told they were starting a new contract.

This could be UPC announcing something and not adequately notifying their staff again though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Morf wrote: »
    Has anyone seen anything in writing saying the upgrade to 50mb and new modem is A) free and B) does not involve starting a new contract?

Some people ringing up UPC about it on the Cable forum were being charged and being told they were starting a new contract.

This could be UPC announcing something and not adequately notifying their staff again though.

They cannot put you into a new contract without your agreement.

What is happening to many people is that they are being "gifted" an increase in bb speed and/or minutes and then being told there is a price increase.

If this happens to you then have 30 days from the time of notification to cancel your contract or downgrade free of charge.
    Please remember that our TV, Broadband and Phone service remains excellent value. However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.

With all these changes going on their system must be in chaos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It seems a bit clearer thanks but I am still am unsure about what ''right to downgrade means''
    If I can downgrade my service then can I keep my bill down too ?

It means you can ask to go on a cheaper package if you're on the middle or top one. I'm not sure what happens if you're already on the cheapest one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Hey guys.

I'm not a teckie so I'm a little confused.

I'm on the 25Mb UPC package since August 2012. I presume that means I have the new router. Got a letter today saying I was being increased to a "super-fast 30Mb". Are some people getting upgraded to 50Mb from tis same package?

The letter also says I'll be getting 150mins instead of 100mins on my home phone.

However, there is no mention on the letter of me having to pay anything different.

Would I be a bit cheeky chancing my arm asking for 50Mb?

They're upgrading everyone to a minimum of 50mb UNLESS 50mb isn't currently available in the area. So, chances are, you're in one of the areas that's currently limited to 50mb by the lines, not by your bundle.

Wouldn't hurt to ask at the same time :P

They're upgrading everyone to a minimum of 50mb UNLESS 50mb isn't currently available in the area. So, chances are, you're in one of the areas that's currently limited to 50mb by the lines, not by your bundle.

Wouldn't hurt to ask at the same time :P

I'm in Dublin so would've thought the lines are up to scratch. I'll give them a call for the craic.

I'm in Dublin so would've thought the lines are up to scratch. I'll give them a call for the craic.

You'd think that wouldn't you.

I've had 50mb for a while no in Waterford. (recently upgrade to 100mb) them multiple times, it's just the lines need upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭stesaurus

My mam got an email last week. Speed increase to 30mb but the price increase was €8.37 plus vat. That seems a little excessive. Haven't read anyone with that high of a price increase on here.
    Can she reject it? She doesn't need the extra speed.

I got the e-mail today. Speed increase to 30 meg and price increase by €1.12. Currently on 25 meg only, no TV or phone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My email said increasing from 50mb to 100mb, and 100mins to 150mins, no mention of price increase?

Broadband + Phone bundle, no TV. Dublin.

You'd think that wouldn't you.

I've had 50mb for a while no in Waterford. (recently upgrade to 100mb) them multiple times, it's just the lines need upgrading.

I don't know what I was saying there, I got interrupted earlier lol.

Was meant to say, I've had 50mb for a while (recently upgraded to 100mb) but my friend in Clondalkin, Dublin still can't get anything more than 30mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

My email said increasing from 50mb to 100mb, and 100mins to 150mins, no mention of price increase?

Id be very happy with that. However, it does seem at this stage that there is little transparency as to who got the price increase and why? It looks like they did a raffle or just charged all the Murphy's.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Hey guys.

I'm not a teckie so I'm a little confused.

I'm on the 25Mb UPC package since August 2012. I presume that means I have the new router. Got a letter today saying I was being increased to a "super-fast 30Mb". Are some people getting upgraded to 50Mb from tis same package?

The letter also says I'll be getting 150mins instead of 100mins on my home phone.

However, there is no mention on the letter of me having to pay anything different.

I rang UPC to see what's going on and was told I can upgrade (at no extra cost) from 25MB 50Mb (letter says super-fast 30Mb). My telephone mins also go from 100 to 150. I don't have TV on the package so no change there.

The only catch seems to be that I'd have to sign a new 12 month contract. If I go with the upgrade to 30Mb I can stay on my existing contract.

Would I be crazy not to take the new 50Mb contract? To be honest I find the 25Mb does me fine as it is. At the same time I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Just one more question! When they announce a price increase, does this only affect new contracts? I presume if I sign the new 12 month contract for 50Mb they can't increase the price on me during that 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I rang UPC to see what's going on and was told I can upgrade (at no extra cost) from 25MB 50Mb (letter says super-fast 30Mb). My telephone mins also go from 100 to 150. I don't have TV on the package so no change there.

The only catch seems to be that I'd have to sign a new 12 month contract. If I go with the upgrade to 30Mb I can stay on my existing contract.

Would I be crazy not to take the new 50Mb contract? To be honest I find the 25Mb does me fine as it is. At the same time I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Just one more question! When they announce a price increase, does this only affect new contracts? I presume if I sign the new 12 month contract for 50Mb they can't increase the price on me during that 12 months?

they can increase the price whenever they want. They must give you 30 days notice in writing and during those 30 days you can leave without penalty.

Personally I think its mad to sign up to a new contract at the moment. Eircom sky and Vodafone will be launching new fastish products shortly and 4g will be launched in august. Its probably better off to hold till then just to see what happens.

If it were me, then I'd definitely take the new 12 month contract for the 50mb!
    I've been with UPC for over 3 years, have the triple package bundle with them and am very happy with it & them as a company. I just recently renewed my contract to upgrade from 50 to 100.

Sky broadband is meant to be a joke from what I've heard, apart from that, my friend in the U.K has been with them ages, has the new hub with them, is meant to be getting 20mb but only gets 10mb max, regardless of what he does or says.

Eircom, maybe in 12 months time when their fibre network is up and running a while, then see what the reviews of it are like, but for now, I'd definitely sign up for another 12 months with UPC! (Personally have)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Same here, said something like with compliments or words to that effect

I'd assumed a price increase because of what reads on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Personally I think its mad to sign up to a new contract at the moment. Eircom sky and Vodafone will be launching new fastish products shortly and 4g will be launched in august. Its probably better off to hold till then just to see what happens.

Or just have a 50MB connection for a year with a company that you're presumably already happy with while we we wait to see what Eircom etc do and the quality of the service they provide.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I wouldn't sign up for a new 12 month contract as they said they will be upgrading everyone to a minimum of 50mb anyway in the next month or two. So you would get the extra speed without needing to sign up to a new contract.

Also if people are unhappy with a price increase, if any, then I would encourage people to call UPC and discuss it with them and you other options to move to Sky etc. UPC will often offer something to keep your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

currently 25mb UPC. Got letter saying I was being upgraded to 30mb, oh, and btw, we're increasing your monthly cost by €4.01. I've BB & phone, €33 per month. So that's a hefty 12% increase.

A week later I got another mail asking if I'd be interested in pre-registering to be upgraded for no extra cost to 50mb 'As a valued UPC customer we are upgrading you to unlimited 50Mb or more as standard where possible.'

This softens the price rise blow a little, I guess. Mentions I'll need a new modem, but no mention as to whether I'll have to pay for it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

anyone get the upgrade yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

I got the email telling me that I had been upgraded from 30mb to 50 mb.

'You have now successfully increased your broadband speed to 50mb at no extra monthly cost.'

I got the new modem, which didn't work and left me without BB for a week. Tech finally came out to sort it out. Am now reconnected, but according to speedtest and my UPC online account, am still only at 30mb. All that hassle for nothing :-(. Gonna call them to find out what the issue is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

bk wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't sign up for a new 12 month contract as they said they will be upgrading everyone to a minimum of 50mb anyway in the next month or two. So you would get the extra speed without needing to sign up to a new contract.

Wrong not everyone on there network will be upgraded, its simply not true that statement, im on there triple play package im supposed to get 50 meg bb but they have consistently said all ill ever get is 30 meg, they have never explained why or whats been done to rectify the issue if anything.

Shin

Advertisement