Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC increasing speeds again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

shinzon wrote: »
    Wrong not everyone on there network will be upgraded, its simply not true that statement, im on there triple play package im supposed to get 50 meg bb but they have consistently said all ill ever get is 30 meg, they have never explained why or whats been done to rectify the issue if anything.

Shin

Have you got the modem/router with or without the external antennae?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

RE ...renewing contracts complaint!
    Got my 150m installed few weeks ago.
    When asked if is ok for me to renew contract for 12 month i've told to the girl on the phone "can i sign a contract for minimum 5 years !?" :)

What's next !? ...300M !

Have fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I said it before and I will say it again, the download speed has gotten fast enough for now, although a nice even number like 200 would be nice.

It's the upload speed which I'm begging UPC to sort out. I have a 10MB upload that funny enough only the last two days as actually gotten a full 10 and it really makes me wonder are UPC getting ready for an upload speed upgrade to match or better yet, beat Eircom.

The whole cloud scene really makes for a need for better upload speed, or at least they could market it that way. Come on UPC another upgrade, just one more to make to faster than Eircom (never taught I would ever say those words)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I just clocked mt internet speeds there.

0.75 Mbps download and 2.76 Mbps upload.

I pay for a 50 Meg line. I pay they extra amount to insure I have reliable internet which I need for work. I wish they'd stop harping on about the 100 Meg line they're rolling out, and at least make sure they guarantee what they advertise now.

empacher wrote: »
    I just clocked mt internet speeds there.

0.75 Mbps download and 2.76 Mbps upload.

I pay for a 50 Meg line. I pay they extra amount to insure I have reliable internet which I need for work. I wish they'd stop harping on about the 100 Meg line they're rolling out, and at least make sure they guarantee what they advertise now.

Lol, what the hell were you doing to get that. Maybe have a torrent or file sharing program that was running full speed in the background that you weren't aware of. Do a test on speedtest.net and share it with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

DaLad wrote: »
    Have you got the modem/router with or without the external antennae?

its the old epc2425 modem they never upgraded it because im getting 30 and itll handle it fine

shin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

UPC **need* to match Eircom...period!

50mb/15mb 100+150mb/20mb

If Eircom offer 15/20mb uploads and UPC only 5/10....that is competition.

shinzon wrote: »
    its the old epc2425 modem they never upgraded it because im getting 30 and itll handle it fine

shin

Yeah, see that's why you're paying for 50 and just getting 30.

That's the maximum the epc2425 can handle. You'd need to upgrade to the newer epc3925 box to get the higher speeds.

UPC **need* to match Eircom...period!

50mb/15mb 100+150mb/20mb

If Eircom offer 15/20mb uploads and UPC only 5/10....that is competition.

Agreed, they need to increase their upload speeds now but I have a feeling they know this and are going to act on it sometime in the near future! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't sign up for a new 12 month contract as they said they will be upgrading everyone to a minimum of 50mb anyway in the next month or two. So you would get the extra speed without needing to sign up to a new contract.

................s.

Not the case!

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056948110

Sincere apologies for any confusion. A new twelve month contract is required when you upgrade any of your services (such as your broadband speeds). You should certainly have been advised of this when you called........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While UPC offer an excellent service, I think they are going to have to make adjustments to their packages in order to compete with the new VDSL packages announced this week.

The biggest issue is upload speed, UPC offer 5mb - 10mb versus 20mb on VDSL.

Personally I think most people would actually benefit more from 70mb/20mb then 150mb/10mb. When you go above 50mb download speed, the servers usually become the bottleneck as does your wifi.

Also I think their entry level products are too expensive now.

Vodafone VDSL only 70mb/20mb unlimited cap €35
    UPC 50mb/5mb unlimited cap €47.88 *

* €7.88 charge if you don't have TV or phone service from UPC

Also UPC's call packages aren't great, they don't offer any unlimited anytime local and national call bundles unlike those being offered by Eircom/Vodafone

I think the new Eircom/Vodafone packages will be quite attractive to many people and UPC will need to update their packages to respond to this.

They really should also explain the disparity between the public statement by the CEO:
    UPC Ireland CEO Dana Strong said the company’s broadband customers who are on less than 50Mbps will be upgraded for free to the new entry-level speed. Users who require new modems to cope with the speed increase will be sent the latest modems for free.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32294-upc-brings-entry-level-broa/

and the day to day reality being experienced by customers as I pointed out above where UPC are requiring contract extensions in respect of "free" upgrades.

An upgrade which requires a significant financial commitment is not free!

Also it is disappointing to read, again in the thread I quoted above, that UPC do not have a robust process in place to ensure that customers are made aware that a contract extension is required in respect of upgrades and that there is process for the customer to acknowledge this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New modem, new contract
    No new modem, no new contract.

Its not the first time they've increased speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rockygsd123

This might have nothing to do with OP but do you guy's get much lower results from speedtest then you are paying for or is it always what you pay for?
    I have a 25mb connection but every time I do a test it's never more than 15~ mb

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New modem, new contract

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/upcplansasummerspectacular.pdf

Another first for UPC in the Irish broadband market is to offer free speed upgrades to all its
    Broadband customers, and ramp everyone up to a minimum speed of 50Mbps.

Notes to Editors:

 Customer’s needing a new modem can get a free upgrade to the faster speed can switch modems for free in May and June inclusive

This might have nothing to do with OP but do you guy's get much lower results from speedtest then you are paying for or is it always what you pay for?
    I have a 25mb connection but every time I do a test it's never more than 15~ mb

Can you tell us how you are testing? E.g. wired or wireless and what sites?

dub45 wrote: »
    Can you tell us how you are testing? E.g. wired or wireless and what sites?
    I usually test it at www.speedtest.net (sorry if not meant to post url) and I get similar results with both wired and wireless I think although it's wireless most of the time

I usually test it at www.speedtest.net (sorry if not meant to post url) and I get similar results with both wired and wireless I think although it's wireless most of the time

Test on UPC's own server:

UPC Speed Test

got a 14.96 download speed, guess I'll just call them and they might be able to tell me what my problem is...thanks

got a 14.96 download speed, guess I'll just call them and they might be able to tell me what my problem is...thanks

Try it wired in case as wireless is inaccurate. Make sure any device connected to the internet isn't downloading or seeding anything such as utorrent or vuze. If it's still 14Mb then definitely ring technical support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New modem, new contract

And how do you see that from the letters ppl receive? Neither make any reference to new contract. My letter for complementary upgrade to 100M does mention right to downgrade or cancel at no cost. But if I'm out of contract and this letter isn't implying atart of a new contract, thenI can cancel without charge at any time anyway. In which case this paragraph makes no sense.

And how do you see that from the letters ppl receive? Neither make any reference to new contract. My letter for complementary upgrade to 100M does mention right to downgrade or cancel at no cost. But if I'm out of contract and this letter isn't implying atart of a new contract, thenI can cancel without charge at any time anyway. In which case this paragraph makes no sense.

When a company changes your Terms and Conditions they are required to notify you of the change at least a month in advance and allow you the option to opt out of the contract.

For the most part these letters are being received by people who are being notified of a price increase so their Terms and Conditions are changing for the worse.

A small number of people are not having a price increase but are still being upgraded.

Anyone in any doubt as to whether or not an extension to the contract is involved should email UPC. And remember you must agree to a contract extension voluntarily it cannot be dumped on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

dub45 wrote: »
    When a company changes your Terms and Conditions they are required to notify you of the change at least a month in advance and allow you the option to opt out of the contract.

For the most part these letters are being received by people who are being notified of a price increase so their Terms and Conditions are changing for the worse.

A small number of people are not having a price increase but are still being upgraded.

Anyone in any doubt as to whether or not an extension to the contract is involved should email UPC. And remember you must agree to a contract extension voluntarily it cannot be dumped on you.

They haven't even included a contact phone# or email on that letter.. short of printing in white ink , this is the most consumer unfriendly letter I've got in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

well I've gotten my speed boost - went from 130mb to 152mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

joy of joys - still manage to get 144p on youtube ! hurray for super fast broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

just an update, got a rather bad shock with the bill this month was supposed to save me money but didn't, so rang billing and queried it, so they admitted there was an overcharge and credited me the money back on next months bill, he said the reason was the agent forgot to order the modem or put the speed up when you went to triple play.

So I said to him that several agents told me in the past that where I live cant get the higher speeds at the moment due to something that no one can tell me about (infrastructure or cabling etc etc), he said nonsense ill order the modem now itll be with you in a couple of days. Rang yesterday credit was put on the account as he said he would do but no modem ordered, agent on the phone ordered it there and then she said it would be with me Thursday, and I queried the speed upgrade again, I said your absolutely sure the cabling round here will take the higher speeds, she said yes youll go to 50 meg no problem.

I live in hope that the courier does contact me tomorrow and that ill finally will be on what im supposed to be on all along :(

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

ondafly wrote: »
    well I've gotten my speed boost - went from 130mb to 152mb.

Nice. Ive been paying for the 150mb line for ages but really only ever get 120 except for when they upgraded to newer firmware for the Thompson router, I was getting the 150 until they rolled back the fw to 1.50.

So it seems that to actually get 150mb, the worst thing you can do with UPC is actually pay for it.

ONLY IN IRELAND

GEO147 wrote: »
    Nice. Ive been paying for the 150mb line for ages but really only ever get 120 except for when they upgraded to newer firmware for the Thompson router, I was getting the 150 until they rolled back the fw to 1.50.

So it seems that to actually get 150mb, the worst thing you can do with UPC is actually pay for it.

ONLY IN IRELAND

I'm paying for 100mb and getting 154mb :L

2744690717.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23 marconi2.0

Getting just over 100 meg happy days, it's deadly for Netflix and the Xbox no freezing or buffering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

On 50mb, getting 10mb up..happy days :-)

Advertisement