Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant cupcake - very dry

Options
  • 19-03-2013 5:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I made a giant cupcake using a silicone mould for hubbies birthday, only thing was that I had to cook the base for so long the mix ended up being quite dry.

the recipe I used was this
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23956/giant-cupcake.aspx

275g (10oz) unsalted butter, softened
    275g (10oz) golden caster sugar
    6 large eggs, beaten
    400g (14 oz) self-raising flour
    140g (5 oz) plain flour
    75ml (3 fl oz) milk

It said to bake at 170 degrees C / gas mark 3 for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong, or failing that does anyone have a better / tried and tested recipe.

I used the silicon mould - not sure if that makes a difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Considering there's so many eggs in it it shouldn't be so dry, did you over bake it that'll do it. Or maybe try another recipe or something like a lemon drizzle where once it's cooked you pour a syrup over it to let it soak in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Those cupcake cake moulds are such a bad idea, like you said by the time the base is baked the top is dry. My only advice is don't make giant cupcakes :o When I make them I just use a 6 inch tin to make the base and then use the giant cupcake tin just to make the top.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I was thinking that it might not be the best way to go, I had to cut off so much off the top of the base it was hardly worth it. I'll do something simpler for the next birthday cake, trying to persuade my son thag he wants one of the pigs in mud chocolate cakes instead:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I've used this recipe before for a giant cupcake and it turned out really well. I'm pretty sure I just used the quantities listed and didn't have to double it or anything. http://joyofbaking.com/ChocolateButterCake.html

Also with the mould I use, the instructions recommend taking the top out before the base as it cooks quicker. Don't rule out trying it again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

leaveiton wrote: »
    Also with the mould I use, the instructions recommend taking the top out before the base as it cooks quicker. Don't rule out trying it again! :)
    Some of the moulds have the 2 sections joined together. YOu could cut them apart but might need more supports.

I suppose the silicone will insulate against heat too, while a normal metal dish attracts it. Maybe put tinfoil over the top for some of the time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The only to use them is to cook each part separately, in my experience! If not the bottom ends up under-cooked and the top over-cooked!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for all advice,

The 2 halves of the mould were separate and I think the top part was done a good 30mins before the base. It was the middle of the mix that was very slow to cook, it was cooked through around the edges but very wet in the middle. So by the time the centre of the mix was cooked the outside edges were really dry.

I might try again this weekend with a different recipe and try not filling up the cases as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

or if it's done on the outside scoop out the 'undone' bit and fill that with cream,butter cream etc?

Advertisement