Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not dead yet..

• 19-03-2013 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I think you're gonna thank me for this one, I've been watching it all day in work (shhhhhh!!) and its a gem :D

Basically a lad from Clondalkin (Dublin), never ridden a bike before and wants to set out on an adventure, and does it. Without support and with just his video camera for company.

Have a look.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

nice find, thats my evening sorted.
    thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Been watching all these recently they are great. There's also another one that a guy is making on travels around the world on his C90. I had posted a link to his kickstarter here but it was deleted as spam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Read his first book when it came out. Hes a legend. Out there doing it whilst the rest of us can only dream.

Some day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

3 down, how many to go?

I haven't even got round to watching all of The Long Way Round, enjoyed the few random episodes I saw a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Fantastic video series, watched it all over the last week, apparently he has travelled extensively throught the americas before doing this trip, I wonder what his story is ? his budget doesnt seem to be an issue at all.

This is proper adventure, one dude camera. winging it along, I was watching long way down at the weekend, and in retrospect compared to something like this its pretty pathetic, corporate sponsorship 2 bikes & a third camera man, 2 back up 4x4s, onboard medic & security expert, 2 producers, local fixers in every country, 2 adminis in an office at home and their families flying out ot meet them every 20 mins, what a load of c**k

The mongolian episodes are epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I watched the first 2. What's the story with never being on a bike before, then saying he did an american trip?
    Long way round was big tv show. The support trucks were always going to be there. Every big travel show is going to be like that from Michael Palin to Karl Pilkington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Notch000 wrote: »

This is proper adventure, one dude camera. winging it along, I was watching long way down at the weekend, and in retrospect compared to something like this its pretty pathetic, corporate sponsorship 2 bikes & a third camera man, 2 back up 4x4s, onboard medic & security expert, 2 producers, local fixers in every country, 2 adminis in an office at home and their families flying out ot meet them every 20 mins, what a load of c**k

The mongolian episodes are epic

Absolutely blows the socks off the other two shows (Long way Around & Long Way Down).. I'm on episode ten, he's heading towards Moscow.

Its brilliant stuff.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I watched the first 2. What's the story with never being on a bike before, then saying he did an american trip?
    Long way round was big tv show. The support trucks were always going to be there. Every big travel show is going to be like that from Michael Palin to Karl Pilkington.
    He never rode a bike before the American trip. He bought an 1150GS, did a couple of miles on it, then shipped it to Canada. Rode to the top of North America and down to the bottom of South America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

AgileMyth wrote: »
    He never rode a bike before the American trip. He bought an 1150GS, did a couple of miles on it, then shipped it to Canada. Rode to the top of North America and down to the bottom of South America.

how does he fund all this ?

He doesn't go into detail of what exactly he did but you do get the impression hes not short of a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Also wondered how you would raise the funds for trips like this, they must cost a fortune? Excellent way to spend it though, I think he works at Intel now in Arizona.

I assume he had a company or worked his arse off in a high paid job. I think he mentioned something about not getting a day off in 5 years.
    Maybe he's a taxi driver :pac:
    Seems like a sound guy.

TheFairy wrote: »
    Also wondered how you would raise the funds for trips like this, they must cost a fortune? Excellent way to spend it though, I think he works at Intel now in Arizona.
    Think he might have been with them in Leixlip before his trips too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Working hard saving his money and id imagine not buying into the whole 'I need a to own a house to be complete' would leave you some money to pursue lifes adventures.

listermint wrote: »
    Working hard saving his money and id imagine not buying into the whole 'I need a to own a house to be complete' would leave you some money to pursue lifes adventures.

eye. lucky fecker!

anyone want to buy a house? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and enjoyed them.

For something as intimate as what he is doing there hasn't been any real background from him though - how is he funding the trip, where did he get his biking and mechanical/electrical experience etc.

He obviously is well prepared in the equipment and spares he is bringing I thought he should have went into that a little more.

In saying that i'm itching to watch number 3 already.

You can read about his american trip here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556042

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

You can read Oisin's blog from the trips he's done (though I'm not sure the photos are working any more) - http://backtobroke.blogspot.ie/
    Specifically the archive on the right of the page.
    He also has a free ebook about the american journey - http://books.google.com/books?id=63wF-t6YJ9kC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_navlinks_s#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Cienciano wrote: »
    You can read about his american trip here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556042

FFS there goes the afternoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I read his book "that I may die roaming" a few years back about his north to south America trip. It's a very good read.

I didn't know he had anoher trip. That will keep me entertained for the evening.

• Advertisement

I read his book "that I may die roaming" a few years back about his north to south America trip. It's a very good read.

I didn't know he had anoher trip. That will keep me entertained for the evening.

Well don't forget Corrie and who survives the fire first :p

Well don't forget Corrie and who survives the fire first :p

I don't watch it so hopefully they all burn! Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im 2 episodes in and im really enjoying it so far. Did he mention how long he was biking before his first trip? & does anybody know if he was or is a member of any motorbike web sites, biker.ie or IBF etc etc?

Im 2 episodes in and im really enjoying it so far. Did he mention how long he was biking before his first trip? & does anybody know if he was or is a member of any motorbike web sites, biker.ie or IBF etc etc?

From his first book if I remember correctly it was **** all millage. The book is free online. Its a great read.

I just watched parts 1-12 in one sitting.

I think he had the bike a year but didnt do any big trips.

Im 2 episodes in and im really e]njoying it so far. Did he mention how long he was biking before his first trip? & does anybody know if he was or is a member of any motorbike web sites, biker.ie or IBF etc etc?

From the link I posted he says he had less than 4,000 miles experience when he started in Canada

I'm on parts 13 and 14, he's left Moscow.. He gets the bike serviced in a city called Barnaul and has to wait for almost a week for the tyres to arrive ~ and falls in love with Barnaul.

This is brilliant stuff.

I'm only on episode two...just started it last night...hope to get into it more over the weekend.

Finished it on a night shift last night :(

Now I've nothing to look forward to.

Finished it on a night shift last night :(

Now I've nothing to look forward to.

you could buy another bmw and plan a trip around the world?

no?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

A trip like that is made for the single man. Having family and commitments rules out such a journey but I think a week traveling around Europe is achievable, if the missus allows it of course;) Im way off been experienced enough for a spin around Europe but its something I could see myself doing in the future. I know some lads off here have done similar trips around Europe that could spare some knowledge. Ill squeeze in episode 4 now before I head into work:pac:

Advertisement