Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not dead yet..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

A trip like that is made for the single man. Having family and commitments rules out such a journey but I think a week traveling around Europe is achievable, if the missus allows it of course;) Im way off been experienced enough for a spin around Europe but its something I could see myself doing in the future. I know some lads off here have done similar trips around Europe that could spare some knowledge. Ill squeeze in episode 4 now before I head into work:pac:

I'd agree. I'm in the same boat. Tour Ireland first..then UK then move onto Europe :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A trip like that is made for the single man. Having family and commitments rules out such a journey but I think a week traveling around Europe is achievable, if the missus allows it of course;) Im way off been experienced enough for a spin around Europe but its something I could see myself doing in the future. I know some lads off here have done similar trips around Europe that could spare some knowledge. Ill squeeze in episode 4 now before I head into work:pac:
    Yeah, definitely a single man trip. Would have loved to do something like that, i'd say you could do it on a budget too, but you'd need cash in a bank account for emergencies.
    For me a wife and child with a second one on the way means even touring ireland is on the backburner for a while!
    Head to the UK for a tour first, anyone with any experience can do it. It's pretty much the same as driving here, same side of the road, same road etiquette and rules, signs all in english etc etc. You can get from Dublin to Glasgow in a day comfortably. Ferry at Larne. From Glasgow north, it's all amazing country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

TheFairy wrote: »
    Been watching all these recently they are great. There's also another one that a guy is making on travels around the world on his C90. I had posted a link to his kickstarter here but it was deleted as spam!

He got the funding so it's going to be done. It will be well worth a watch as he's a top bloke.

Grest find OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd agree. I'm in the same boat. Tour Ireland first..then UK then move onto Europe :P
    Hoping to get to Europe this year for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely a single man trip. Would have loved to do something like that, i'd say you could do it on a budget too, but you'd need cash in a bank account for emergencies.
    For me a wife and child with a second one on the way means even touring ireland is on the backburner for a while!
    Head to the UK for a tour first, anyone with any experience can do it. It's pretty much the same as driving here, same side of the road, same road etiquette and rules, signs all in english etc etc. You can get from Dublin to Glasgow in a day comfortably. Ferry at Larne. From Glasgow north, it's all amazing country.

Surely you could spare a day or two m8, head to Germany with me and 2 others...your more then welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I spent 3 weeks last year dossing around France solo on the bike and camping. It was great fun. Might do another few weeks this year but have multiple countries as 3 weeks in France alone was a bit too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I spent 3 weeks last year dossing around France solo on the bike and camping. It was great fun. Might do another few weeks this year but have multiple countries as 3 weeks in France alone was a bit too much.

What kind of money did that take?.

What kind of money did that take?.

Not much.

For camping you're looking at between 10-30euro a night depending on where you are.
    Anything extra is down to your fuel consumption and how much you spend on food and doing other stuff.

I think I did the trip for 600ish but I wasn't keeping track. 800 if you count replacing a bike jacket that got stolen.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Surely you could spare a day or two m8, head to Germany with me and 2 others...your more then welcome.

Cheers, but wife is due in 2 weeks, I'm not going to even pretend I'm going anywhere for at least 6 months!

Anyone reading the book or the posts on advrider? (Same thing btw)
    I'm onto the bit where he's finished alaska, heading south through Canada and about to enter usa again.
    Really well written stuff! Loads on what it's like touring, like ice cold hands, red raw arse, being too hot in the gear, mossies everywhere and covering your visor. Quality stuff. Some great funny lines in it too:
    On my first run through Whitehorse a guy offered to suck my John Thomas for $20 as I passed him by on the street, he looked out of his mind on drugs and was in a wheel chair. I tried haggling him down to $15 but he was having none of it

Just finished the latest YouTube video. Mad stuff .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

just gonna watch part 20 & 21 now. Great stuff so far.

just gonna watch part 20 & 21 now. Great stuff so far.

I can't find anything after Part 19, can you post a link please.

I can't find anything after Part 19, can you post a link please.

http://www.youtube.com/user/roguebikers/videos?tag_id=&sort=dd&view=0

should be able to get them all there

Right, finished the pan american highway read, onto the videos!
    Wonder how much that trip cost? 160 days on the road, shipping bikes, plane tickets, petrol, food, hotels, repairs. Must be around €40k

Cienciano wrote: »
    Right, finished the pan american highway read, onto the videos!
    Wonder how much that trip cost? 160 days on the road, shipping bikes, plane tickets, petrol, food, hotels, repairs. Must be around €40k

Ya and assuming the bike is practically worthless after that amount of millage and repairs.

Still worth every bit of it though. Once in a lifetime experience.

Will give this a watch.. Did two months around VN on a bike a couple of years ago and that gave me the taste for an around the world adventure. My only real short term plan in life is buying a nicer bike but long term, I'm really just saving my cash for a massive trip. No interest in extended travel anymore without a motorbike under me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Haven't looked at it yet but I know I'll like it. I liked Long way Round/Down, it wasn't hardcore or anything but it was a mainstream documentary that got me interested in the biking/dreamworld going off travelling.

I'll check it out later, thanks!

Ya and assuming the bike is practically worthless after that amount of millage and repairs.
    Yeah, that too.
    An amazing trip, but I can safely say I'll never have the money to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

this guys videos arent bad either he rode a honda 90 from malasia to the UK,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPne-q4ynts

• Advertisement

Parts 22 & 23 uploaded. Might squeeze them in before I hit the hay:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2As-5cxdl18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just watched the first and I'm hooked already. Yer man's personality is a big plus, if I didn't like him it'd be pretty tough to watch but nice shout mak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bloody hell im up at half 6......... one more video

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

im up to the latest episode, its a great watch!

Parts 24 and 25 are up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Great stuff, really well filmed and produced with a great soundtrack and scenery. And he's a brilliant narrator and presenter. Can't wait for the next episode.

If only he was capable of uttering more than 2 or 3 consecutive sentences without a f*ck/sh**e/bollocks/etc it would be better than Long way round, but as it is you simply can't watch it in front of young kids or your parents. Only for that he'd have a very marketable DVD set miles better than Ewan + Charlie - but then we probably wouldn't be enjoying it for free on youtube!

Just read a comment on the last video. He said he financed the trip from savings over 15 years and redundancy pay from work.

Just read a comment on the last video. He said he financed the trip from savings over 15 years and redundancy pay from work.

It could work out well for him. I would imagine the likes of Gopro and BMW etc etc would sponsor another trip if he sought it. Perhaps RTE/TV3 could fund it also.

It could work out well for him. I would imagine the likes of Gopro and BMW etc etc would sponsor another trip if he sought it. Perhaps RTE/TV3 could fund it also.

RTE/TV3 would probably want to censor him which would take alot of the fun out of the videos. lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the second RTE got their hands on it, it would turn to shíte. Probably have Tubbridy doing voiceovers or something.

Wonder if it would be better go south of the black sea and capsian sea to make it a bit more interesting?

Advertisement