Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not dead yet..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Turned on Long Way Down last night for a look after seeing this thread, and found it complete sh1te compared to this lad's videos :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Parts 26 + 27 up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Parts 26 + 27 up:)

Up a few days now, I'm strung out since seeing them and no news on anymore coming yet :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thanks for posting this up. Watched all the vids and read his RR. Brilliant stuff. Gagging for more vid updates.

There are some great ride reports on that site. Just got done reading one by an 18 yr old kid who rode his moped from LA to NY. Great stuff!
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716516

28 us up :)

• Advertisement

29 is up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

part 30 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

part 31 up for anyone else who can't stop watching it :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaand 32 is up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Between this and Long Way Round/Long Way Down I'm not all that impressed with the BMW GS durability.
    They are supposed to be able for at least one journey like this, but his front and rear shock went. Final drive (twice?), The frame broke on LWR and the cameraman ended up on a russian heap that lasted better than the big BMWs.

Would a KTM fare any better with it's experience in MotoX ?

I reckon the F650 GS would last better. The 1200 just seems too heavy for the abuse on round-the-world trips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do it on the C90, this dude is a bit of a toff, couldn't watch more then 2 of his videos but this one really stood out.

RasTa wrote: »
    Do it on the C90, this dude is a bit of a toff, couldn't watch more then 2 of his videos but this one really stood out.

He'd an engine rebuild in India and a second rebuild in Europe, I think it was Prague.

C90's are grand for a bit of shopping along the Ho Chi Min trail when you're 5 stone soaking wet but unless I was a mad English man I wouldn't bother my hole :pac:

Yes I kid, I'm aware of Honda Vs The World but if I was to undertake a serious trek like Oisin or the Long Way Round boys the GS would be my preferred weapon of choice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Only came across this last night, not sure how I missed it. Already watched 9ep and plan to watch more tonight. Very enjoyable and well put together videos.

As good as it would be to get RTE/TV3 to commission a series I doubt it would ever happen, there was barely any mention of Laverty's victory on Sunday and unfortunately the general public don't have much time for anything motorbike related in this country :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pique wrote: »
    Between this and Long Way Round/Long Way Down I'm not all that impressed with the BMW GS durability.
    They are supposed to be able for at least one journey like this, but his front and rear shock went. Final drive (twice?), The frame broke on LWR and the cameraman ended up on a russian heap that lasted better than the big BMWs.

Would a KTM fare any better with it's experience in MotoX ?

I reckon the F650 GS would last better. The 1200 just seems too heavy for the abuse on round-the-world trips.
    I reckon you're fairly likely to have problems with any bike on a journey like this. You're more than likely going to get your BM sorted anywhere. Can't say that of the KTM

The frame breaking is down to misuse. If you're going to overload it you have to strenghten it before you set off.

Having had both a F650 and an 1150 GS I'd be taking the 1150.

Final part up lads :(. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWpOFMfEjLg

Out of all the places he drove through I would most like to visit Mongolia followed closely but Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Out of all the places he drove through I would most like to visit Mongolia followed closely but Canada.

Great viewing for work tonight :). Given serious thought to taking off to Russia which has been a long time dream for me. Maybe will head further east :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

Aww dammit.

I agree with Mongolia and Canada (although Canada for the scenery only).. the USA was/is boring as dishwater.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Great doc, one of the best things ive ever watched on youtube. I must admit tho that the last few parts when he reached canada and USA was a bit boring, but overall excellent:)

Glad im not the only one who thought the USA parts were boring. USA has its benefits, ie, Good roads, accommodation, English speaking but its for a nice laid back journey. Oisin mentioned himself in the final parts that people want to see the tough stuff like crossing rivers, getting stuck in mud,snow & having to deal with bike breakdowns.

Can anyone clarify when he actually done this trip. Was it 2010???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Glad im not the only one who thought the USA parts were boring. USA has its benefits, ie, Good roads, accommodation, English speaking but its for a nice laid back journey. Oisin mentioned himself in the final parts that people want to see the tough stuff like crossing rivers, getting stuck in mud,snow & having to deal with bike breakdowns.

Can anyone clarify when he actually done this trip. Was it 2010???

yea 2010

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I reckon you're fairly likely to have problems with any bike on a journey like this. You're more than likely going to get your BM sorted anywhere. Can't say that of the KTM

The frame breaking is down to misuse. If you're going to overload it you have to strenghten it before you set off.

Having had both a F650 and an 1150 GS I'd be taking the 1150.

So you reckon it'd be easier to get a final drive fixed (needed work twice in his videos) than it would be to get chain & sprockets replaced? Not a hope.

BMWs are overhyped scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The episodes crossing the US were a bit dull but as said its easy riding and just about clocking up the miles.

But overall the episodes were great.

I think it would be amazing to head across to east of russia but i wouldnt have it in me to do it alone.
    Im quite happy trecking off by myself for two weeks but spending well over a month in such harsh conditions without being able to speak to someone properly would probably break me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Driving across the plains of canada in his first trip sounded boring as hell too. Straight road, featureless scenery, and dotted with bad storms. Almost as boring as Kamikazis regular rants on beemers :D

Cienciano wrote: »
    Almost as boring as Kamikazis regular rants on beemers :D

Ah but no one listens to the angry young pup :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

The episodes crossing the US were a bit dull but as said its easy riding and just about clocking up the miles.

But overall the episodes were great.

I think it would be amazing to head across to east of russia but i wouldnt have it in me to do it alone.
    Im quite happy trecking off by myself for two weeks but spending well over a month in such harsh conditions without being able to speak to someone properly would probably break me.

Yeah agree with you there, think I'd go insane if I did that on my own. Didn't he say that, until the guy on the boat the only other people he had a proper conversation with across the whole of Russia and Mongolia was the guy in Yakutsk and then his friends in Moscow

Some trip but too long and lonely for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Makkomi wrote: »
    Ah but no one listens to the angry young pup :pac:

He wants a s1000rr but can't afford one, so is taking his frustration out on message boards :pac:

He wants a s1000rr but can't afford one, so is taking his frustration out on message boards :pac:

He can have a rip on my R1100s as a consolation prize :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Just finished reading his book "That I may die roaming". This guy is a legend. I'd say he tell you some mad stories over a few pints.

• Advertisement

I'd love an S1000RR!

So I could sell it and buy a decent bike or three :)

Advertisement