Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Clean up

Options
  • 19-03-2013 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

A friend and I moved into an apartment almost five years ago. When we moved in, we were promised that it would be cleaned after the previous tenants which it never was. The apartment is 11 years old nd to the best of my knowledge, still has the original furniture and has not been painted since the builders moved out.

SO my question is~ things are looking tired. The table and chairs and the suite definitely need to be replaced. We had the suite cleaned about two years ago but it actually made it worse. And the whole place could do with a lick of paint. The beds aren't great but would survive another while.This isn't through negligence, just ordinary day to day stuff. Are there any obligations on the landlord to help us out with this? We're not looking for anything expensive, just clean and presentable. Even willing to do the painting ourselves, although I'm sure health and safety/insurance wouldn't like it!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Give your landlord a call and ask him. Five years in a place and assuming you are good tenants, and he could well do it up, but he's not under any obligation to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

neemish wrote: »
    A friend and I moved into an apartment almost five years ago. When we moved in, we were promised that it would be cleaned after the previous tenants which it never was. The apartment is 11 years old nd to the best of my knowledge, still has the original furniture and has not been painted since the builders moved out.

SO my question is~ things are looking tired. The table and chairs and the suite definitely need to be replaced. We had the suite cleaned about two years ago but it actually made it worse. And the whole place could do with a lick of paint. The beds aren't great but would survive another while.This isn't through negligence, just ordinary day to day stuff. Are there any obligations on the landlord to help us out with this? We're not looking for anything expensive, just clean and presentable. Even willing to do the painting ourselves, although I'm sure health and safety/insurance wouldn't like it!

Any thoughts?

Common sense should prevail. Speak to your landlord have a chat and see what the lie of the land is.

If you have been there 5 years and are good tenants then a reasonable landlord worth their salt would come to some kind of agreement with you. Offer to repaint if he supplys the paint and im sure he will be more than happy to.

Regarding the furniture a landlord would write off furnature as capital depreciation over 8 years, so financially he may be a bit reluctant to do a refresh of stuff right now if its only in there 5 years, but who knows maybe he will.

Maybe find some cheap stuff you would be happy with in Ikea etc and maybe show him the kind of thing you would be expecting / were thinking of so at least he has an idea on the cost and makes it a lot less of a shock to him than you demanding new furniture which may cause an initial negative reaction as he thinks of massive expense.

maybe even offer to contribute something towards the purchase of some new stuff or suggest you purchase your own furniture if he removes the old stuff.

lots of options but first step is communication, call and speak to him and see what he says.

From a legal perspective be aware that if the furniture is still functional but just looks a bit dated then he has no legal obligation to replace anything so bear that in mind when you are discussing this with him.

Advertisement