Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to jazz up a pork chop ?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I usually use fennel/cumin and sometimes rosemary and garlic.

Any other tips on how to jazz up the simple pork chop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Slattsy wrote: »
    I usually use fennel/cumin and sometimes rosemary and garlic.

Any other tips on how to jazz up the simple pork chop?

buy a pork fillet :p
    grill the chop will get the fat to the perfect consistancy.

Other than that? buy a pork fillet (pork chops are muck in this country)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Just be careful it is pork and not a horses **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

That's some great input there folks.

Not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Tut tut, now youve asked for it.

Ingredients
    1 cup plain flour
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in, or a horses dingaling
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
    Directions
    Put the flour in a shallow platter and add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels to remove any moisture and then dredge them in the seasoned flour; shaking off the excess.

Heat a large saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is nice and hot, lay the pork chops in the pan in a single layer and fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the pork chops from the pan and add a little sprinkle of seasoned flour to the pan drippings. Mix the flour into the fat to dissolve and then pour in the chicken broth in. Let the liquid cook down for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy and return the pork chops to the pan, covering them with the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until the pork is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

Sounds damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There have been threads on the subject before . Here's one that has links to others:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72875329

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slattsy wrote: »
    That's some great input there folks.

Not !!
    Have to say I agree with the pork steak recommendation, dunno how chops are so popular when the fillet is often going as cheap or nearly as cheap. Perhaps people have it in their head that it must be roasted as one long piece, I cut mine and butterfly it into thin steaks like chops.

Teriyaki sauce is great on pork steak, so should be OK on chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

easy marinate in a zip lock bag or sealed container with olive oil, mixed herbs of whatever you choose add in a bit of water and or apple vinegar and hey presto,
    simple tasty and above all easy.

You can experment with different oils like extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil, soy sauce, rapeseed oil, hot sauce, worchester sauce hot sauce anything saucy!!
    All herbs from cinammon to oregano and everything in between.
    Different types of vinegar from apple wine alchol, white wine red wine etc...

Thing is dont be afraid of ****ing up a mixture, write down somewhere what you put into mixture and keep this record, for the next time you can change it to suit your taste even more.

Enjoy cooking its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

this may sound a bit odd but it is delicious. rub chops with a little olive oil, dust each side of chop with cinnamon yes cinnamon,salt and pepper, place in a zip lock bag with a chopped clove of garlic for a couple of hours before cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

rubadub wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with the pork steak recommendation, dunno how chops are so popular when the fillet is often going as cheap or nearly as cheap. Perhaps people have it in their head that it must be roasted as one long piece, I cut mine and butterfly it into thin steaks like chops.

Teriyaki sauce is great on pork steak, so should be OK on chops.

you should easily get a pork steak for a fiver and the equivalent weight of pork chops could actually be more.

Its such a no brainer in my book.

Lads i get pork steaks too.

The thread was about pork chops, because i like pork chops too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Grill on one side, then turn, spread the second side with English mustard and sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Grill again at a slightly reduced temperature until the sugar melts and crusts. Very quick and tasty for when you've no time or inclination to marinade.

What i find with the chops is that they cook quick, a few minutes on each side is perfect, take off the heat just as its turning that pinky/white. By the time its rested and on the plate its just perfect.

Had them with rosemary and garlic the other night, lovely. But will try something different next time. Some good ideas on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

ok its kinda lazy but I buy the BBQ Maggi pack that's intended for bbq ribs but its LOVELY with pork chops and serve with beans and potato wedges. And you can shove the chops in the bag with the spices the night before so it really marinates in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

Just rub it with some Jamaican Jerk Spice before grilling

Homemade Apple Sauce is obligatory:
    Cooking Apples, peeled, cored and diced
    Butter
    Sugar
    Black pepper
    Cook in a saucepan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

throw it in a pan with onion, garlic, green pepper, black pepper, brown sugar and dried mustard and a half bottle of white wine... leave it for ages keep adding sups water to it and sprinkle in flour at the last minute.... have with rice.

The BIZZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

One recipe I sometimes use, I think adapted from one on a can of condensed soup, is take onion and apple, cut them up and put in the bottom of a roasting dish, season pork chops and place on top of the layer of onions and apples, pour over condensed tomato soup, add stock, cook in oven for probably 30-45 mins, I usually put most things into the oven at 200, really not sure on time. I generally just keep an eye on them. Serve with the pieces of onion and apple of cooked in tomato soup. Depending on my mood I also add other seasonings. If feeling really lazy also add rice, possibly other veg and more stock/water (if adding the rice) to the roasting dish, add the liquid before putting the chops on and mix up, cover for most of the cooking time and then have a one pot full meal.
    To date and other people have eaten it, have had no bad reviews just requests for more. But it is obviously not a quick pork chop recipe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The fillets come from the same animals as the chops and if the chops are ****e then the fillets will also be ****e.

There are also a totally different cut and more expensive per kg.

The texture and taste are different. Not better, just different.
    Some people like chops. I myself like a chop now and then, it's a grand cut, if you can get a bone in chop even better, I'd take a bone in pork chop over most other meats.

Prok in Ireland is, for the most part, fine, it's a damned sight better than most of europe anyway and compared to the US and the rest of the world, our pork is brilliant.

If you can get free range irish pork from a good butcher, it's as good as any pork you'll get anywhere in the world.

Anyway back to the op.

There's a million things you can do OP.

Try using a rub like jerk or cajun seasoning or make your own.
    Just grab a few jars of spices and a little sugar and go mad, rub it on, leave it to sit for 15 minutes and then onto a scalding hot pan/griddle for about 3 minutes each side, turning every minute and then make sure to pick it up with a tongs and hold it on it's side to get the fat good and seared.

Or if you're cooking for a few people and want to make something that is both nice and cheap, try this Gordon Ramsay recipe.
    I've done it a few times but I didn't use his sauce.
    I served mine with celeriac mash (half celeriac and half spuds mashed with butter, milk, salt and pepper), roast veggies and a quick pan sauce I made by deglazing the pan with some veal stock and a splash of cider vinegar and reducing it down and then adding a cold knob of butter at the end to give it body and shine.

Advertisement