Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep deprived EEG

Options
  • 19-03-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I'm going in for a sleep deprived EEG on Thursday. Have to get up at 3am and be at the hospital for 9.30am.

I've been told that i need to have someone with me from 3am and also for the rest of Thursday. Sounds extreme and i was also told it was to see if I have epilepsy! Never had a seizure, can the EEG bring on a fit/seizure?

Has anyone any experience of this procedure?? Am quite nervous about it..

Thanks,
    coggy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

coggy79 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm going in for a sleep deprived EEG on Thursday. Have to get up at 3am and be at the hospital for 9.30am.

I've been told that i need to have someone with me from 3am and also for the rest of Thursday. Sounds extreme and i was also told it was to see if I have epilepsy! Never had a seizure, can the EEG bring on a fit/seizure?

Has anyone any experience of this procedure?? Am quite nervous about it..

Thanks,
    coggy

This is probably one of the reasons they are advising a little caution :

"Her GP referred her privately to Professor Niall Tubridy, who told the court that he decided to start afresh, ordering a number of tests including the sleep-deprived EEG.

The aim of the EEG was to uncover abnormalities in brain activity rather than induce a seizure, he said. However, patients are at higher risk of seizing immediately following the procedure.

Consultant neurophysiologist Dr Sean Connolly said that at the time of Ms O'Reilly's test, patients undergoing a sleep-deprived EEG were only advised not to drive home.

They were not told of any increased risk of seizure. He had never seen or heard of a sudden unexpected death in epilepsy occurring in the hours following the procedure. Ms O'Reilly did not sleep for 24 hours prior to the test. The EEG showed some activity consistent with epilepsy but was largely uneventful. She went home to bed.

At about 7pm, her mother attempted to rouse her for dinner. She was found face down on the floor, tangled up in her bed sheets and unresponsive.

Her brother attempted CPR but when the emergency services arrived it was clear that she had been dead for some time.

The post-mortem found Ms O'Reilly died from positional asphyxia caused by a probable seizure consistent with sudden unexpected death in epilepsy."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/student-died-from-seizure-after-test-for-epilepsy-26819014.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/young-student-died-from-seizure-after-clinic-epilepsy-test-28000101.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I'm sure that helped him/her a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Weathering wrote: »
    I'm sure that helped him/her a lot

tis explained in the leaflets that it may bring on a seizure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

theyre grand, dont hurt at all. But be prepared for a normal reading even IF you have Epilepsy..
    I have it, but none of my EEGs ever came back with abnormal readings, this is quite normal.

They'll put a strobe light in your face, and get you to breath really fast while hooked up to a machine. It's not painful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

it could bring on a seizure, but it's unlikely in your case. It's mainly to see if your brain has seizure activity while under stresses like no sleep, strobe lights, hyperventilation etc.

Tbh, if you took any sort of little seizure it would be very helpful for the diagnosis. Dont worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement