Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Hotspots

• 19-03-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on dealing with hotspots under the balls of the feet. I've been dealing with them for the last two months. I got new shoes and thought it might have something to do with that but I went back to the old ones and the problem is still there. I've heard that putting duct tape on the area effected works but haven't tried that yet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

What kind of a sock do you wear? I like thinner socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    What kind of a sock do you wear? I like thinner socks.
    I've gotten into the habit of wearing two pairs of good running socks! I've been doing it since I started running more seriously two years ago. (When I retired from hurling) Never had the problem till now. It could just be that I'm taking longer than usual to break in the new shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I've gotten into the habit of wearing two pairs of good running socks! I've been doing it since I started running more seriously two years ago. (When I retired from hurling) Never had the problem till now. It could just be that I'm taking longer than usual to break in the new shoes.

Are you running further than normal? I had problems in the past and it turned out the problem was partly the socks I was wearing causing friction. If your wearing 2 pairs there is a good chance there is a lot of friction going on. Did you get fitted for your new shoes?

Yeah got fitted. The two pairs of socks hasn't been a problem before. I'm not upping my mileage drastically either. I have noticed a bit of a build up of hard skin in the "hot" areas. Maybe this might be a contributing factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I have the same issue.I recently bought a cheapish pair of asics runners(64euro), as I have started college and to save money I walk into town.
    So I now walk an hour in and out at least,which is a little bit more than I used to do.
    So im getting insane blisters on my heels.
    Same issue as you more or less.All the walking and friction is causing alot of rubbing on my heels.I have two nasty blister spots all across both heels now along the back of my feet.
    I was going to post here to see if anyone has advice on how to minimise this without using anti friction gels etc.
    I have to sit through a whole day in college after the walk, in sore feet :(

So far I have found some cheap kind of paper, sticky tape, in the medical section of tescos.When I put this over the hotspots, it helps alot and holds alot better than celotape.And possibly the glue on it was safer to use than standard masking tape.
    In my case I think they are just badly designed runners.
    The sole at the heel slides back and up so I get a ridge wearing against my heels.Going to try pull them out today and replace with my own cheap insoles :D

For the balls of your feet issue, I would guess some tape under some very light seamless socks would make a big difference.
    The ony issue after that is airing your feet as you run.
    Moisture from sweat or water is going to cause blisters.
    I went as far as putting baby powder in my socks aswell before putting them on.Not sure if it helped though.Maybe...

The only socks I found so far(addmitedly havent had the money or will to go buying loads to test), were some black socks in Penny's with the W on them in grey with a grey stripe on the top.
    After a good few washes they loosen up and let alot of air in.Im guessing double socks would cause you to sweat more and as someone mentioned build up heat.

If anyone has suggestions for good seamless socks that are cheap, let us know :)
    I recently got fresh pairs of those Penny's ones and they seem slightly different, not as good as they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Bahanaman wrote: »

It might be not relevant, but the only time I got blisters on my feet the last couple of years (on a "normal" run, that is) was when I wore double-layered socks that were supposed to prevent blisters.

My feet are much happier with bog-standard socks, and only one of them at a time of course.

Tried the duct tape the other night for a short run and it seemed to work! Only a 4 miler though so I'd need to do it for a longer stint to see if it really works.

Advertisement